PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinger Rogue build

arawra
2013-04-03, 07:45 AM
Trying to get the most out of a ranged Gunslinger build. Here is what I am thinking so far:

Gunslinger (Musket Master Archetype) 7/Rogue x

This would allow me to use my dex mod to my damage with a ranged weapon, allow for 3d12 of base damage at maximum, and possibly 6d6 of sneak attack damage. I would probably also take Deadly Aim as my first attack would ignore armor as well as the dex mod, giving a simple AC of 10 to reach further increasing my damage output.

Further recommendations are more than welcome and encouraged!

Juntao112
2013-04-03, 10:44 AM
What is the range restriction on your sneak attack?

Brock Samson
2013-04-03, 10:54 AM
Get. Sniper. Goggles.

Ravens_cry
2013-04-03, 11:19 AM
With alchemical cartridges, you can reload that musket as a free action. Also, maybe go Ninja instead of rogue. Sure, it means you can't go completely dumping charisma, but half your level x level in ninja rounds of invisibility isn't bad. If you get high level enough, you can even make it improved invisibility.
Why are you going to 7th level for Musket Master? 5th seems to be a better cut-off.

Person_Man
2013-04-03, 01:16 PM
I would not encourage high level multiclassing in Pathfinder. You're giving up some useful high level Deeds and True Grit in exchange for some less useful low level Rogue abilities.

Karoht
2013-04-03, 01:40 PM
I would probably also take Deadly Aim as my first attack would ignore armor as well as the dex mod, giving a simple AC of 10 to reach further increasing my damage output.
Further recommendations are more than welcome and encouraged!
The gun already hits Touch AC's, so using a feat to bipass the armor bonus is largely unnecessary, unless I'm missing something important.
Your Sneak Attack max range is 30ft. As in, you must be within 30ft to apply the precision damage (sneak attack). Says so in sneak attack. This range can be increased however.

Invisibility is nice. Get a Mask of Goz so you can see through smoke and fog. Use smoke bombs or smoke sticks, stand in smoke/fog, and pew pew away. You'll be hitting flat footed touch AC's before you know it (inflicting sneak attack damage on hits), which is pretty easy. Use smoke as CC and concealment methods, rather than either or.

If you want to go Rogue, consider the Rake archetype. Free action Intimidates are awesome, especially at low level. Remember, Intimidate is an opposed skill check, VS a creature's sense motive, not their will save. Pump your intimdiate skill, rock a high charisma, demoralize as many targets as you have attacks.

Poison is kind of meh. Great at low levels, and gets progressively worse. However, it is totally worth it to carry a wand of Spit Venom. Why?
The fort save will be easy to make. It's the fact that there is no save, be blinded as an effect. Now, while it is a poison based effect, the blind is not affected by the fort save for the poison in any way, and since it is effectively you spraying the target's face with gunk, poison immunity may or may not apply. RAW is slightly unclear there, though most DM's will rule poison immunity = no blind.
Another great wand to carry if you do plan on investing in poisons, is Pernicious Poison. No save, just spell resistance. Target takes -4 to saves VS poisons, and remove poison and heal checks to remove poison operate at a -4 penalty.
Poison is often best applied VS Wizards and other casters with a low fort save. STR damage poison is very handy in this regard, as most casters will only have a small amount of STR. At 1D3 STR damage per application, 3 or 4 attacks stands a good chance of dropping a Wizard, assuming your sneak attack damage doesn't do so first.

If you are willing to be a Gnome, my advice is go Ninja for the free Ki Pool (but you can take a Ki Pool as a Rogue, using a Rogue Talent). In addition to some other perks the Ki Pool gives you, you can also take the feat Bewildering Koan. As a Swift action, you basically ask a non-answerable/paradoxical question to a single target. You make a Bluff Check VS their Sense Motive. If you succeed, the target loses their action. Why is this important?
In addition to being able to lock down enemies with a Bluff Check as a Swift Action (something you won't find a lot of ways to make use of as a Rogue/Ninja) remember that until you take an action, you are considered to be Flat Footed. If you successfuly use Bewildering Koan at the start of combat, before enemies act, you prevent them from acting, so they stay Flat Footed.

Also recommended is anything which occurs automatically on your Sneak Attack. Crippling Strike (rogue talent) is an excellent ability. 2 Strength damage, no save, every Sneak Attack. Pressure Points (ninja trick) and blast off more strength or deal some Dex damage.
Forcing a target to roll against your intimidate + poison on every attack is bad enough, but losing STR/DEX at the same time? Ouch. Combo that all up and you are delivering a world of hurt if you hit with your high damage attacks.

Gunslinger 7, Rogue X?
Why 7 of Gunslinger exactly?

arawra
2013-04-04, 06:49 AM
The reason I want at least 7 levels into Gunslinger is because this is the first level they can make "multiple attacks" due to a high BAB. The SRD says that it is technically one attack, but you roll multiple damage dice if you score hits on your other d20s.

Dead Shot (Ex): At 7th level, as a full-round action, the gunslinger can take careful aim and pool all of her attack potential into a single, deadly shot. When she does this, she shoots the firearm at a single target, but makes as many attack rolls as she can, based on her base attack bonus. She makes the attack rolls in order from highest bonus to lowest, as if she were making a full attack. If any of the attack rolls hit the target, the gunslinger’s single attack is considered to have hit. For each additional successful attack roll beyond the first, the gunslinger increases the damage of the shot by the base damage dice of the firearm. For instance, if a 7th-level gunslinger firing a musket hits with both attacks, she does 2d12 points of damage with the shot, instead of 1d12 points of damage, before adding any damage modifiers. Precision damage and extra damage from weapon special abilities (such as flaming) are added with damage modifiers and are not increased by this deed. If one or more rolls are critical threats, she confirms the critical once using her highest base attack bonus –5. For each critical threat beyond the first, she reduces this penalty by 1 (to a maximum of 0). The gunslinger only misfires on a dead shot if all the attack rolls are misfires. She cannot perform this deed with a blunderbuss or other scatter weapon when attacking creatures in a cone. The gunslinger must spend 1 grit point to perform this deed.

I wouldn't want to gimp myself by stopping at 7, preferably going to level 10 for +10/+5 guaranteeing 2d12 at level 10 and eventually 3d10 at 20. I would find this to be a better option (along with a max BAB of ~17) sacrificing two d6 in SA for more damage at earlier levels, vs trying to set myself up for sneak attacks. I have a feeling this character won't make it to 20 anyway =p.

The ninja invisibility intrigues me, but there is a Samurai in the party and it might be difficult maintaining party cohesion with him if I take Ninja...

If anyone has another viable option to increase my damage output, keep the ideas flowing!