PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Pricing a Custom Psionic Item ?

Amiria
2013-04-03, 08:20 AM
One of my characters is an Ibixian (a.k.a. Goatfolk; Monster Manual 3) Warblade and because he is a Monstrous Humanoid he can't get one of the most popular buff spells for melee warriors => (Greater) Enlarge Person.

So I've been looking at the Psychic Warrior power 'Expansion' (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm) as an alternative and the Belt of Growth (MIC, p. 73-74; 3.000 gp) as something that could be a guideline for pricing a custom psionic item.

Stats of the belt should be
1) limited to one size category increase
2) augmented to a duration in minutes
3) 10 minutes duration (like the Belt of Growth)
4) usable 1/day (like the Belt of Growth)

Although I'd prefer 3/day uses ... which should triple the price, iirc.

So, how to price this item, going by guidelines for pricing custom magic items in the DMG, the 'Behind the Curtain' article about pricing magic items in the MIC (p. 233) and / or considerations about game balance ?

Aerlock
2013-04-03, 11:18 AM
Just re-fluffing the Belt of Growth as a Psionic item and making it 3 times a day, you're looking at 9,000gp.

Going by the magic item creation rules you're looking at 3(level needed to use the 10 min augment) x 1 (power level) x 3,000 (2,000 x 1.5 to replicate an effect with a 10min/level power) = 9,000gp for a constant Expansion effect (5,400gp for 3 30 minute uses per day)

So as a DM you could either be really nice to your player and give him the constant Expansion for 9,000gp , be a little nice and give him the 3/day version for 5,400gp, or do the easiest route and just re-fluff the existing item and make it 3/day as well for 9,000gp.

- Aerlock