PDA

View Full Version : Help me create this NPC...

Kerilstrasz
2013-04-03, 09:15 AM
MY PLAYERS STAY OUT!

So... i need to create this NPC.. SHE will be the 1 who helps and guides PCs
through the campaign, by advising them,finds gear and/or pieces of info &
generally be their mentor..

Need help with 2 aspects of her.. 1st her Personality/RP & 2nd her creation
(stats,class etc)

A few things about the campaign ...
The campaign is 3,5 , like 90% dungeons,8% Urban (2% anything else)
4 players - 2 newbies,1 fair & 1 that is supposed to be fair(1st time playing with him)
PCs start at lvl1 , they are by creation new members of a dungeoneering guild
(one i created taken as guide the samples from Dscape).
They will start at a homebrewed dungeon that is supposed to bring em to lvl3,
and continue with premade dungeons...

...and how she is involved.
She is the Guild's Quartermaster.She may be more involved in the guild if the campaign
goin to last enough for it.. maybe the true owner of the guild? dunno...
She is to be found at her quarters at all times, which are like 4 rooms... the hall
that receives adventures,the "shop" (actually a room full of selves that she keeps
like 2.000 BoH with anything you can imagine), her bedroom and a ultility room.
If at any point she isn't there that can mean only 2 things... She took a very really
important mission that no1 else could or smthing really tragic has happened!

A few things about how I imagine her (Personality/RP)..
Well... Lets see she has a high top CHA and that is obvious by her looks. She might
flirt with adventurers just to tease them but no1 ever saw her into a relationship or
even with a "friend". Only a handfull of hard to find ppl in high and/or obscure places
now her past.She enjoys sitting at her shop, wearing her stunning leather outfit. She may
likes to play an instrament.. maybe a harmonica? She has rules for just about anything.
Like Gibbs from NCIS serries. She also shares his addiction for caffeine. She always
has a cup of coffee near her.She has lots & important connections with all kinds of ppl.
She is not by any chance a blond bimbo...

A few things about how I imagine her (Combat)..
Well.. my 1st though was smthing roguish. She prefers meelee combat & stealth.
Maybe a rapier. High martial training. She use high iniative, speed and crit blows
to finish her target fast and silently. She may has some spells... not so much for
dmg but for utility making her "missions" easier. Maybe the assasin class... or
a multiclass of rogue with smthing else?
Skills i want her to have maxed: Hide,MSilent,Sense Moti,Intimidate,Knowledges & Umd.

some other things...
Plz no homebrew,no ToB,no psionics and no magazines. She ll be about lvl 12-14,human.

so... what you think? how can you help?

Gerrtt
2013-04-03, 09:29 AM
I'd say just make her a rogue or rogue/swashbuckler with daring outlaw. Set her up with a crit-fishing weapon (you already mentioned rapier, bonus points for that) and pick up improved crit for it at some point. Pick up improved initiative if you want her act first in combat and max her dexterity too (which you would want to anyways because of your rapier and free weapon finesse feat you get from swashbuckler). Most of the rest of the stuff you mention doesn't have any mechanical benefit, so you can just fluff it out as part of her character.

Playing the harmonica can be done either as a skill (perform, it's on the rogue skill list) or just as part of her character. Since a rogue doesn't have any class abilities where using the perform skill will come in handy I'd not bother with investing any skill points in it, personally.

As far as spells go, I'd not bother with multiclassing to get them. Just use the high CHA you want to give her and max her UMD ranks.

Preaplanes
2013-04-03, 10:05 AM
Sounds like a Rogue or a(n Urban) Ranger would suit the character well, as the real savvy dungeoneering/urban classes. Keep those Knowledge skills maxxed if you want her to be mechanically knowledgeable.

If you roll a statline I could make a mockup for the things you're describing and have it to your in a few minutes.