PDA

View Full Version : Building the Enchantment Master [PF]

Tokuhara
2013-04-03, 09:50 AM
I'm toying with the concept of an Enchanter, but due to personal self-restriction, I don't want Wizard.

So I had the idea to use Witch instead, and then I read the Fey and Infernal bloodlines for sorcerer and thought, "Would this work?" So this is what I'm looking at:

Human Crossblooded (Fey/Infernal) Sorcerer 1/Witch 19

So what Patron, Hexes, and Witch archetypes would be "optimal"?

stack
2013-04-03, 10:05 AM
Might want to consider the undead bloodline. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/undead-bloodline) Doesn't boost DC's, but lets you use mind affecting on some undead.

Serpentine (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/serpentine-bloodline)/undead crossblooded would let you use language depend and mind affecting on animals and magic beasts and any undead made from them.

Pestilence (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/pestilence)would add vermin to the list of susceptibles.

Just depends on whether you want higher DCs or wider breadth of targets.

Don't forget spell perfection to double the value of DC boosting feats for one spell (dominate monster?).

There is metamagic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/threnodic-spell-metamagic)to make things work on undead as well.

Tokuhara
2013-04-03, 10:18 AM
More or less, my aim is DCs out the backside that I don't need to worry about the enemies passing the save.

stack
2013-04-03, 10:29 AM
Do you have a campaign you plan to play in that you know won't be throwing immune enemies at you?

For hexes, charm is obvious for the theme, evil eye and misfortune to tank saves, cackle to keep the debuffs going. Slumber is fitting too, on top of being powerful.

I don't think any of the witch archetypes help out. Same with patrons, take whatever gives the most useful other spells.

Tokuhara
2013-04-03, 10:37 AM
Do you have a campaign you plan to play in that you know won't be throwing immune enemies at you?

For hexes, charm is obvious for the theme, evil eye and misfortune to tank saves, cackle to keep the debuffs going. Slumber is fitting too, on top of being powerful.

I don't think any of the witch archetypes help out. Same with patrons, take whatever gives the most useful other spells.

My DM may throw undead at me, but if the Enchantment won't work, I'm still a Tier 1 caster with Battlefield Control options.

I'm thinking Misfortune and Cackle for the first drop, with my level 1 feats being Improved Initiative and Spell Focus (Enchantment)

I took a look at archetypes, and they kind of suck. The patrons seem good, but there are so many good ones.

ericgrau
2013-04-03, 10:39 AM
To deal with immune foes, carry around some charmed and dominated servants at all times. Even when foes aren't immune enchantment isn't usually the greatest for winning fights. You need your slave army. I see you've already figured out to have backup options too, which is great.

Persistent spell is good for spells with a save. There's also a trait that you can apply to a particular spell to reduce the metamagic cost on it. I would select charm person, charm monster or dominate person. I'd prefer dominate person. I know you have a +2 more to charm and not all foes are persons, but dominate is just plain better, doesn't face a -4 to use it during combat, and you only need to fight humanoids once to get a slave. OTOH if your DM hates to make humanoid encounters then don't do it.

There's greater spell focus too of course. It may only be another +2 for 2 feats, but don't underestimate anything that stacks with everything and doesn't have any major cost to your other abilities.

When facing 4 or more targetable foes, soften them up with a mind fog first. Unless your enemies might also use will save attacks, don't worry if you get an ally or two in the fog.

I like your crossblooded trick.

Tokuhara
2013-04-03, 11:15 AM
I actually get +2 to Charm school and Compulsion school spells, which basically the whole enchantment school. And even if I'm facing things immune to Enchantment spells, I can CC like a master, seeing as how I'm a witch. And thank you. For one level, two +2's to 2 subschools is a nice dip.

ericgrau
2013-04-03, 11:17 AM
Right but charms are also compulsion, so +4 to charm which is +2 more than others, no?

Ohhhhh, nevermind. I remembered the descriptors wrong. Well the spell you favor on charm monster vs dominate person all depends on your DM then.

As for dealing with immune foes, what I meant is that you'll find for winning fights casting your cc is always better than casting enchantment whether your foes are immune or not. So there won't be much point to enchantment... until you keep your new friends around and bring them into other fights.

If you have an adjacent ally who can coup de grace then hold person is nice too, and at low levels don't forget daze as a nice at-will backup. But otherwise I'd focus more on charm/dominate rather than, for example, suggestion.

Tokuhara
2013-04-03, 11:39 AM
The plan was to focus on Enchantment and dabble in other CC abilities. I'll still have my Charmed/Dominated cronies to help mop up (planning on grabbing Leadership for a Cavalier Order of the Dragon Standard Bearer focused on melee buffing).

Plus, I'm the party face (decent charisma, Social holy Trinity) who can use Enchantment spells to boost my social skills

mregecko
2013-04-03, 01:44 PM
If you're super worried about your enchantments not hitting undead, just take the Threnodic Spell feat or carry a metamagic rod for it.

Tokuhara
2013-04-03, 01:55 PM
If you're super worried about your enchantments not hitting undead, just take the Threnodic Spell feat or carry a metamagic rod for it.

I say its almost worth it as a rod, but not as a feat (Compared to Extra Hex/Split Hex/DC Boosters