PDA

View Full Version : Dagger Thrower, Need Five More Levels

zoobob9
2013-04-03, 11:22 AM
There's a character that I've played before named Remos. He's a Fighter 5/ Master Thrower 5/ Invisible Blade 5, and I have no idea what to do for the remaining levels.

Remos
{table=head]Level|Class|Feats|Class Features

1st|Fighter 1|Able Learner, Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot|Bonus Feat (Two Weapon Fighting)

2nd|Fighter 2|-|Bonus Feat (Weapon Focus (Dagger))

3rd|Fighter 3|Rapid Shot|-

4th|Fighter 4|-|Bonus Feat (Weapon Specialization (Dagger))

5th|Fighter 5|-|New Class Abilities

6th|Master Thrower 1|Improved Two Weapon Fighting|Quick Draw, Thrown Weapon Trick (Palm Throw)

7th|Master Thrower 2|-|Evasion

8th|Master Thrower 3|-|Thrown Weapon Trick (Deadeye Shot)

9th|Master Thrower 4|Ranged Weapon Mastery (Pierce)|Snatch Arrows

10th|Master Thrower 5|-|Critical Throw, Thrown Weapon Trick (Spot the Weak Point)

11th|Invisible Blade 1|-|Dagger Sneak Attack +1d6, Unfettered Defense

12th|Invisible Blade 2|Greater Two Weapon Fighting|Bleeding Wound

13th|Invisible Blade 3|-|Dagger Sneak Attack +2d6, Uncanny Feint (Move Action)

14th|Invisible Blade 4|-|Feint Mastery

15th|Invisible Blade 5|FEAT|Dagger Sneak Attack +3d6, Uncanny Feint (Free Action)

16th|New Class Level|-|New Class Abilities

17th|New Class Level|-|New Class Abilities

18th|New Class Level|FEAT|New Class Abilities

19th|New Class Level|-|New Class Abilities

20th|New Class Level|-|New Class Abilities[/table]

I didn't put down the skills because it's a hassle, but I'll be maxing out Sense Motive, Bluff, Tumble, Sleight of Hand, stuff like that.

The Basic Idea of the build: Throw Daggers at people's Touch AC and do massive damage. Tumble Around, Feint them to get sneak attack, Full attacks, whatever. My DM counted Thrown weapons as ranged weapons for the purpose of Ranged Weapon Mastery and he adjusted the Feint things to work with thrown weapons as well.

I just don't know what to do for the last five levels or the last two feats. I remember looking at Dervish a while ago, but that's with melee weapons only. Any suggestions?

mattie_p
2013-04-03, 11:31 AM
Bloodstorm Blade? (Tome of Battle)

Juntao112
2013-04-03, 12:08 PM
Didst thou take an odd number of fighter levels?

Keld Denar
2013-04-03, 12:19 PM
I don't see a race, but I'm assuming Human due to Able Learner. If you don't mind losing that and switching to Strongheart Halfling, you can take levels in Whisper Knife which is in Races of the Wild, I'm pretty sure.

gorfnab
2013-04-03, 12:23 PM
If you drop the 5th level of Fighter for a level of Warblade you can fit five levels of Bloodstorm Blade at the end.

Amiria
2013-04-03, 12:24 PM
If you want to keep it full BAB and rather simple ... and if Player's Handbook 2 is allowed ... I recommend Ranger.

If the retraining rules from PHB2 are used start as Ranger 1 and at level 15 be:

Ranger 2
Fighter 4
Master Thrower 4
Invisible Blade 5

Level 16 then Master Thrower 5 and after that more Ranger.

You start with much more skill points and Ranger 2 gives you either Rapid Shot or Two-Weapon Fighting. The Ranger alternative class features 'Distracting Attack' (PHB 2) and 'Champion of the Wild' (Complete Champion) might also be interesting. Those both kick in at Ranger 4.

Sir Swindle89
2013-04-03, 12:25 PM
Somthing to stack Ijutsu Focus?

Factotum? OA samurai? for a level.

Assassin Powerclass from mongoose publushing has an increased sneakattack bonus for it's death attack and poison use. so that might work in a pinch.

I don't think Blood storm blade will work too well with the build, because so many of it's special abilities require standard actions. The powerattack thing might be good but thats just a dip.

Gandariel
2013-04-03, 12:25 PM
Yeah, Fighter 5 is suboptimal. Try Fighter 4 / XXX 1
I don't remember, do you have any requirement to fulfill? Anyway i'm pretty sure there are lots of better 1-level dips which are better than Fighter 5. Barbarian, maybe. Or Duskblade?

For the last 5 levels.. Anything that gives sneak attack i guess.
Rogue2/Assassin3 ?

zoobob9
2013-04-03, 12:49 PM
Bloodstorm Blade? (Tome of Battle)

That looks good, if nothing else than for the Lightning Ricochet. Any recommendations on the manuevers/stances? I've never really taken a good look at Tome of Battle before, I've just thumbed through.

I don't see a race, but I'm assuming Human due to Able Learner. If you don't mind losing that and switching to Strongheart Halfling, you can take levels in Whisper Knife which is in Races of the Wild, I'm pretty sure.

I'd Prefer to keep Able Learner for the skill points, and for Roleplaying purposes, He needs to remain Human. Remos has a history as a Human, and changing it would feel off.

mregecko
2013-04-03, 01:06 PM
Definitely agree with replacing Fighter5 with Warblade and going Bloodstorm Blade. My favorite throwing class ever, plus it gives bonus feats, etc... Very good addition to a throwing build.

If you don't want to go ToB, then pad the rest with Factotum. INT-synergy and extra actions are never a bad thing.

zoobob9
2013-04-03, 01:12 PM
Definitely agree with replacing Fighter5 with Warblade and going Bloodstorm Blade. My favorite throwing class ever, plus it gives bonus feats, etc... Very good addition to a throwing build.

If you don't want to go ToB, then pad the rest with Factotum. INT-synergy and extra actions are never a bad thing.

I switched it to Warblade 1/Fighter 4/etc for the extra skill points. To be honest, I wouldn't be using the Iron Heart manuevers much anyway.

I still have Three feats open, one of which is a fighter bonus feat. Any suggestions from anybody?

mregecko
2013-04-03, 01:30 PM
Oooh, another thought I just had... If you don't do BloodStorm blade, even 1-2 levels of Bard with Dragonfire Inspiration can net this kind of build a LOT of extra damage.

Like, a lot.

Anywho, back to your question of what feats to take for your current build:
Craven -- +1 dmg/character level on each sneak attacks. Yes please!
Rapid Shot -- not a bad option if you're treating thrown == ranged weapon.

Just two thoughts.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-04, 12:43 AM
Is it too late to dump the Invisible Blade levels?

You want Master Thrower 5 and Bloodstorm Blade 4. Beyond that...whatever. Swordsage dip for +2d6 sneak attack (Assassin's Stance, pick up at swordsage 2) and dex to damage (Shadow Blade feat) is pretty good, too. More than 4 levels of Fighter or any levels of Invisible Blade is not desireable, though.

Aerlock
2013-04-04, 09:51 AM
Also see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278321) form some ideas.

- Aerlock