PDA

View Full Version : Build Help

MidgetMarine
2013-04-03, 04:48 PM
Hey Giantitp forums.

I've been working out a character build for the next campaign I play, and it's one I'm rather excited about, but I want to make sure it works.

I'm planning on being a Werebear Paladin [With intent of going into Divine Crusader and Fist of Raziel (And before I get the 'don't play paladin' that I expect at least once, it's because the DM I'll most likely be playing this with has had bad experience with paladins and really wants to see a good one (in the sense of both RP and crunch))

The goal for this character is to be basically the archetypal Paladin. Going into hybrid werebear form, decked out in heavy armor, wading into battle, slaying enemies left and right. One hand on his weapon, the other invoking the power of his god to kick some serious ass.

On the fluff side, he's probably going to be the last living member of some dying tribe or clan, and has committed his life to embodying the code of honor by which his clan lived, so that when he passes away, the clan will be remembered as an honorable force of good.

My plan is to go Human Werebear (So that's LA +3)/ Paladin 5 (To pick up the ability to cast divine favor so as to qualify for FoR as well as the BAB requirements for FoR)/ Divine Crusader 1/Fist of Raziel 10/ And then 1 level of X to round it out.

As for Divine Crusader, I'm thinking about probably taking the strength domain as my chosen domain.
Though if you have input, It'd be more than welcome.

Anything you can suggest?

All help is appreciated.

-MidgetMarine

Divide by Zero
2013-04-03, 05:06 PM
Before you get too far in this, you might want to become more familiar with the rules for lycanthropes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm), particularly the part where being a werebear also gives you 6 animal HD.

MidgetMarine
2013-04-03, 05:18 PM
the DM in question is very against LA as an idea, and probably wouldn't have a problem with reducing the hit dice.

Karnith
2013-04-03, 05:20 PM
You can reduce the LA for lycanthrope from +3 to +2 if you're willing to be an afflicted lycanthrope (rather than a natural one) and willing to put up with the Control Shape skill. However, it'll only reduce the total ECL change of being a werebear from +9 to +8, so it won't do much.

MidgetMarine
2013-04-03, 05:22 PM
Yeah.
The RHD would almost definitely something the Dm would be willing to work out.

Divide by Zero
2013-04-03, 05:24 PM
You say "probably," so you should probably get a better idea of what exactly the DM will allow. And if your goal is to prove to your DM that paladins don't always suck, then using a powerful template to augment it is probably not the best way to go about doing that.

Regardless, this (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/paladins-handbook.html) will probably be a good resource for you.

MidgetMarine
2013-04-03, 05:54 PM
Beginning to think that anthropomorphic Bear might be a better route.

Keld Denar
2013-04-03, 08:55 PM
Can't really work out anything until you figure out what the DM is gonna do about RHD. If you don't or do have to take them will make a HUGE difference in the build.

Also, DC has a +7 BAB requirement, so what you have isn't really valid without the RHD, or some other class levels.

MidgetMarine
2013-04-04, 12:09 PM
Can't really work out anything until you figure out what the DM is gonna do about RHD. If you don't or do have to take them will make a HUGE difference in the build.

Also, DC has a +7 BAB requirement, so what you have isn't really valid without the RHD, or some other class levels.

Yeah.
That's why I'm thinking perhaps having some sort of pseudo-werebear, where I can only assume a hybrid form, and the hybrid form takes on the attribute changes of a Anthropomorphic Bear.
Which wouldn't be as powerful as a typical werebear, but would take off A LOT of the ECL adjustment.

Deox
2013-04-04, 12:23 PM
An interesting (and quite effective) use of Smite could be applied with the Decisive Strike variant.

Actually, a character in a game I'm running is using a variant on this Decisive Smiteadin.

The base is along the lines of Monk / Paladin / Divine Champion (the one from Forgotten Realms that gives another, stacking smite) / Grey Guard. Basically, allowing you to smite pretty much anything. I don't recall what changes he made exactly, however.

Also, Grey Guard lets you remain LG without losing any abilities.