PDA

View Full Version : What Unique Options Do Sorcerers Have?

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 07:17 PM
What sort of Unique Options do sorcerers have, that wizards can't do?

TaiLiu
2013-04-03, 07:21 PM
What sort of Unique Options do sorcerers have, that wizards can't do?
Well, Sorcerers have some Sorcerer only spells, though with certain Prestige Classes, those elusive spells can be obtained by the Wizard.

The Draconic Heritage feats and the like, I suppose.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-03, 07:24 PM
The big ones are the arcane fusions, wings of flurry/cover and spontaneous metamagic's interaction with arcane spellsurge. Other than those, there are a handful of transformation spells in dragon magic, charisma's interaction with ruin delver's fortune/planar binding/enchantments, but I can't think of anything else that's big.

Keneth
2013-04-03, 07:33 PM
Spontaneous casting has its advantages. As far as options go, in 3.5 there are very few, in Pathfinder on the other hand, sorcerer bloodlines give them a unique flair.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-03, 09:25 PM
The feat Ascetic Mage specifically names sorcerer levels as being able to advance the unarmored AC bonus of the monk class, and then you add CHA instead of WIS to AC. Kung-Fu Genius does allow a wizard to replace WIS with INT, but I don't think it allows wizard levels to stack to improve the unarmored AC bonus. Instead, you get a monk running off INT for its abilities, rather than a caster with an additional AC bonus beyond their primary casting stat. Ascetic Mage also has a different approach to its prerequisites.

Races of Stone has three dwarf racial substitution levels for sorcerer. The 9th level substitution lets you add your constitution bonus to your charisma score to determine your bonus spell slots, provided you are on the ground when you spend your 8 hours resting and 15 minutes concentrating.

Races of the Wild has three Raptoran (also found in that book) racial substititon levels for sorcerer. The 11th level grants something like shot-on-the-run, but for casting spells while flying.

I can't say this is unique to sorcerers for certain, but they have a way to get perform on their class list without leaving their spellcasting class. It seems to be somewhat rare. The feat Draconic Heritage has an option for descent from song dragons which will give you perform as a class skill. Combine with the battle sorcerer option from Unearthed Aracana and you could get into prestige bard from the same book after 4 levels if not for needing that eighth skill rank. Ah, well, the extra level means you're certain to meet any interpretation of that, "at least one 1st-level arcane spell from each of the divination, enchantment, and illusion schools," prerequisite. A looser interpretation would let your 2nd level spell known count.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-03, 10:15 PM
One of my favorite (obscure) things - Dragonpacts (Dragon Magic).

Basically, you give up a spell slot and a certain amount of gold, and you get the ability to use some SLAs a certain amount of times per day. It can come in pretty handy, and you're effectively giving u one higher-level slot for multiple uses of lesser abilities. Depending on the pact, it can be a good trade.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-04-03, 10:24 PM
This trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4), which technically is able to instantaneously switch what spells are on his Runestaff as long as the end result doesn't have a higher value than what it had previously.

Spuddles
2013-04-03, 11:27 PM
Greater Draconic Rite, Loredrake.

Hendel
2013-04-03, 11:30 PM
What edition are we talking about here?

Because if it is Pathfinder, then we can go into the various bloodlines and archtypes, too.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-04, 01:47 AM
What edition are we talking about here?

Because if it is Pathfinder, then we can go into the various bloodlines and archtypes, too.I recently stumbled across the false priest archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/razmiran-priest). Buying one divine scroll, then tricking it into sticking around so you can use it again is pretty neat.

JaronK
2013-04-04, 02:28 AM
Combining some of these, you can make a hilariously fun dragon themed Kobold. Dragonwrought Kobold Loredrake Sorcerer with the Greater Draconic Rite who uses Wings of Flurry and Wings of Cover as primary spells, along with other dragon themed stuff (Alter Self, Horde Gullet, and so on).

Even without items, at level 6 he can cast Wings of Flurry to do 10d6 force damage to every target within range that he wants to hit, and stun them too.

JaronK