PDA

View Full Version : What happens to a air elemental in water?

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 07:21 PM
Last question, just sort of had these all bottled up

What happens to an air elemental that goes into water, does it go wonky like a earth elemental, or become a bubble elemental?

TaiLiu
2013-04-03, 07:23 PM
Last question, just sort of had these all bottled up

What happens to an air elemental that goes into water, does it go wonky like a earth elemental, or become a bubble elemental?
It stays an air elemental. Nothing happens.

Keneth
2013-04-03, 07:29 PM
It's ejected to the surface, what else?

Unusual Muse
2013-04-03, 07:30 PM
Erm.... club soda?

EDIT: You're on your way to a djinn and tonic...

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 07:33 PM
It's ejected to the surface, what else?

Well as it is not RAW or even RAI, am not so sure about that

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 07:39 PM
It has to make Swim checks like everyone else.

It's immune to drowning, though.

INoKnowNames
2013-04-03, 07:40 PM
That's... actually a very good question. Can Air Elementals drown? Do they Float? Do they Sink? Can they be submerged, or do they just displace everything around them?

Holy crap, that's a very good question.

It has to make Swim checks like everyone else.

It's immune to drowning, though.

If it's immune to drowning, why would it need to make Swim Checks?

TaiLiu
2013-04-03, 07:44 PM
Can Air Elementals drown?
Nope. They're of the Elemental type:

Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 07:44 PM
It does not come with a swim speed, so it still needs to swim skill check

Keneth
2013-04-03, 07:46 PM
Well as it is not RAW or even RAI, am not so sure about that

It's made of air and has no weight. It can't swim either because it has no land speed. There is no RAW but the rules don't have to explicitly state that general physics still apply.

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 07:48 PM
It is a magical creature, so I would say logical rules need not apply, underwater lakes do happen.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 07:49 PM
If it's immune to drowning, why would it need to make Swim Checks?

To move. Through a body of water. Which is the literal definition of the verb "to swim".

Also, an air elemental cannot sink if left alone. It would tend to float upwards, as it is made of air, which, as we can see, tends to escape upwards when submerged.

It's a density thing.

It does not come with a swim speed, so it still needs to swim skill check

Also this.

Keneth
2013-04-03, 07:53 PM
It is a magical creature, so I would say logical rules need not apply, underwater lakes do happen.

Real world rules are the only rules that apply by default when there is no RAW. If you wanna houserule it differently, maybe change it's elemental type to air + water = ice, that's your prerogative.

Also this.

As far as I know, the rules state that only creatures with land speed can swim. Air elementals only have fly speeds and they can't fly through water.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 07:58 PM
As far as I know, the rules state that only creatures with land speed can swim. Air elementals only have fly speeds and they can't fly through water.

The SRD's take on the Swim skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/swim.htm) makes no reference to land speeds, only to a creature's "speed" and the vagueness means it can be a land speed, fly speed, swim speed or even something ludicrous like climb speed and burrow speed.

Keneth
2013-04-03, 08:13 PM
True, the SRD says "speed" because it's from player's handbook and all player characters are assumed to have a land speed in which case "speed" is synonymous with "land speed" because the "land" part is implied.

Also, if we look at this Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040622a) article on movement, you'll quickly notice this bit:

A creature that doesn't have a swim speed must make a Swim check to move through the water when its feet don't touch the bottom. A successful check allows the creature to move through the water at a quarter of its current land speed as a move action or at half its current land speed as a full-round action.

So no, you can't swim with your fly, climb, burrow, or other speed unless a specific rule enables you to do so.

Jack_Simth
2013-04-03, 08:23 PM
Also, if we look at this Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040622a) article on movement, you'll quickly notice this bitNote: Rules of the Game, at best, demonstrates designer intent. That's it. And really, they're written from the perspective of someone who's going to be running a game - and I have a rather strong suspicion that the *vast* majority of player characters have a land speed as their only normal mode of movement. So when you run across a critter that doesn't have a land speed, well... you make do. Half the fly speed as a full-round action (what your basic swim check would get you out of the land speed) doesn't really seem all that bad. For an Air Elemental, that's going... 50 feet as a full-round action and a swim check. 25 feet, if it needs to do something else when it gets there. A water elemental would rip the thing apart underwater.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 08:26 PM
True, the SRD says "speed" because it's from player's handbook and all player characters are assumed to have a land speed in which case "speed" is synonymous with "land speed" because the "land" part is implied.

So no, you can't swim with your fly, climb, burrow, or other speed unless a specific rule enables you to do so.

Interesting.

However, your evidence doesn't correlate with your conclusion. I do agree that the Swim rules do specifically state "land speed" but how does that necessarily imply that a character cannot make Swim checks without a land speed? It could have easily been a design oversight and not a specific intent of the rules.

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 08:27 PM
Think this is easily solved this way...

does a wizards fly spell, work underwater

Humble Master
2013-04-03, 08:29 PM
I would rule than an air elemental just becomes a pocket of air underwater. It needs to make swim checks like verybody else because it is out of it's elemtent. Also I would rule that a Wizard's Fly works underwater but probably at half speed or something.

elonin
2013-04-03, 08:30 PM
It's made of air and has no weight. It can't swim either because it has no land speed. There is no RAW but the rules don't have to explicitly state that general physics still apply.

Air does have a weight. It is lighter than water though.

Deophaun
2013-04-03, 08:31 PM
No, it's not implied.* It's actually explicitly stated...

Your speed is determined by your race and your encumbrance. Your speed while unarmored is your base land speed.
*Just being disagreeable to be disagreeable.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 08:31 PM
Think this is easily solved this way...

does a wizards fly spell, work underwater

It works in the sense that it is not dispelled or suppressed, but if the creature has a land speed, that's what you're using for your Swim checks.

I would point out Incorporeal creatures as an example (most of which have no land speeds, but do have fly speeds), but the Incorporeal subtype specifically has them treat water as air, so it's not much of a help in that regard.

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 08:35 PM
You will be able to fly a half speed, but with maneuverability reduced by one grade. (MotP pg 77)

Coidzor
2013-04-03, 08:45 PM
I'd say it still "flies" but more slowly and slowly rises barring effort on its part to stay stationary or at the same depth. The water stays out of it and it retains its shape, such as it is.

Zahhak
2013-04-03, 08:50 PM
The SRD's take on the Swim skill makes no reference to land speeds, only to a creature's "speed" and the vagueness means it can be a land speed, fly speed, swim speed or even something ludicrous like climb speed and burrow speed.

Real world creatures like moles and worms can be thought of as only having a burrow speed, and they cannot swim.

You could assume that for the Air Elemental (and other creatures that do not have a land speed) to move in the water have to make a strength check at a severe penalty. Especially if that creature happens to be incorporeal, which I imagine an Air Elemental is. As for the OP, I'd imagine they'd collapse into a bunch of bubbles and forcibly surface

Keneth
2013-04-03, 08:51 PM
Note: Rules of the Game, at best, demonstrates designer intent.

I agree, Skip's articles are not RAW. Still, they clarify RAI, and that carries a lot of weight for some people.

It could have easily been a design oversight and not a specific intent of the rules.

Just like it was an oversight to point out what happens to air elementals in water. That's why rule 0 exists. :smalltongue:

Air does have a weight. It is lighter than water though.

Well, technically "air" is not an actual substance. Is an air elemental made from a mixture of gases or is it just a supernatural force that can control them? For all effects and purposes, air elementals are weightless, I think the rules even state that somewhere.

You will be able to fly a half speed, but with maneuverability reduced by one grade. (MotP pg 77)

Well, I guess that settles that. It's not a general rule, but plane of water seems like a good enough place to base it on.

Now that I think about it, I remember seeing another article or official forum post by one of the devs that elaborates on the issue, even making a distinction between supernatural and normal flight.

Either way, an air elemental has no business being submerged in water in the first place.

KillianHawkeye
2013-04-03, 08:55 PM
It gets wet?

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 08:56 PM
Just like it was an oversight to point out what happens to air elementals in water. That's why rule 0 exists. :smalltongue:

Oh, I assure you, there are some definite design oversights in core. Need I bring up "healing by drowning" to this watery thread? :smallamused:

Either way, an air elemental has no business being submerged in water in the first place.

Tell that to the poor air elemental on the wrong end of a Plane Shift.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-03, 08:58 PM
Air elementals do have weight, and it's listed.

Since buoyancy isn't a thing in-game, all we are left with is how to move in water. Sounds like Swim checks. Except....

I like that reference to Manual of the Planes. It's a 3.0 source, but it was updated for 3.5, so anything that wasn't explicitly covered (or updated in DMG or Planar Handbook), should still hold water. I would point out that several sentences earlier there was some gobbledegook about "whether she rises or sinks depends on whether she would rise or sink normally." I need a reference here, cause I was under the impression that the normal rule was that, in D&D, a person in the water that doesn't swim, starts sinking.

"Djinn and tonic" is 1000% win.

Morphie
2013-04-03, 09:05 PM
1- Fill a bathtub with water
2- Put an Air Elemental there
3- Add a Fire Elemental
Boom: Jacuzzi.

On the Age of Worms AP our party fought an air elemental underwater, and it looked like he moved without any issues.

Edit: Sorry, I think it was an water elemental, so the question still stands.

Keneth
2013-04-03, 09:05 PM
Air elementals do have weight, and it's listed.

Huh, you're right. It's listed under the sizes table. Must have been thinking of something else then. Not that it matters much, except maybe for telekinesis. :smallbiggrin:

I did a little more digging and found this in the 3.0 FAQ.

Can a creature fly underwater? I've never heard of a normal bird flying underwater. What are the rules regarding this? If it's possible, what is the penalty to movement and maneuverability?
Flying creatures must swim when they enter the water, just as other creatures do. A fly spell lets you swim at your normal flying speed, but with the same maneuverability as other swimmers (perfect maneuverability). Incorporeal creatures also can fly/swim in this manner (they move through water just as easily as they move through other substances). Note that gaseous creatures cannot enter water.

There was no equivalent answer in the 3.5 FAQ as far as I could find.

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 09:15 PM
1- Fill a bathtub with water
2- Put an Air Elemental there
3- Add a Fire Elemental
Boom: Jacuzzi.

On the Age of Worms AP our party fought an air elemental underwater, and it looked like he moved without any issues.

what did it look like visually?

Duke of Urrel
2013-04-03, 09:17 PM
I agree with Phelix-Mu that consulting the MANUAL OF THE PLANES is a good idea. So, CyberDrag, you are well on the way to answering your own question!

The Elemental Plane of Water has subjective directional gravity, which explains why a creature on this plane can "fall" in any direction it chooses at the rate of 15 feet in the first round and 30 feet every subsequent round.

On the Material Plane, you have objective gravity in a downward direction, but I believe an air elemental underwater would have to "fall" straight upward, against the pull of gravity. (I agree with those who say that real-world physics must step in when fantasy rules run out.) So I would rule that an air elemental underwater rises 15 during the first round, 30 feet every subsequent round. Whether an air elemental can make Strength checks as Swim checks underwater to move in any direction other than straight upward is a matter of debate, but I would say that it can. Let the air elemental make a Strength/Swim check first to swim by its own will, then add the upward rising movement at the end of its turn, which it must make whether it wants to or not; that's where the air elemental has to end its turn. (This is similar to what you have to do when you try to swim against a fast current.)

CyberDrag's question is not purely academic; it has real fantasy-world applications. Suppose you're underwater and you summon an air elemental? It could happen!

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-03, 09:21 PM
LOL. "Note that gaseous creatures can not enter water." Are gaseous creatures a thing? I HATE it when they take specific language and then throw it around until it basically doesn't mean anything....

I can only think that a "gaseous creature" must be a creature under the gaseous form spell or effect that gives a proximal effect.

Were there even swim speed maneuverability classifications in 3.0?

ZOMG, can we hear it for clarifications that don't clarify?

A druid can now use an air elemental whirlwind as an underwater mech via, what was it stormrage. Don't know that it's useful, but really cool, YES.

Keneth
2013-04-03, 09:21 PM
CyberDrag's question is not purely academic; it has real fantasy-world applications. Suppose you're underwater and you summon an air elemental? It could happen!

Not unless you really enjoy being beaten with hardcover rulebooks. Since there's no good reason to summon an air elemental over a water elemental, you're just doing it to be an ass. :smallbiggrin:

CyberThread
2013-04-03, 09:24 PM
Excuse me, am going to go earn a degree in whatever covers this subject, and then thread necro this just so I can sound like I know what am doing , lol.

The real application of this would be a druid with a elemental companion , who is a pirate... so yeah, going to be under water sometimes, as well as filling a ships sails.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 09:25 PM
LOL. "Note that gaseous creatures can not enter water." Are gaseous creatures a thing? I HATE it when they take specific language and then throw it around until it basically doesn't mean anything....

I have one word for you: Vampires.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-03, 09:27 PM
Not unless you really enjoy being beaten with hardcover rulebooks. Since there's no good reason to summon an air elemental over a water elemental, you're just doing it to be an ass. :smallbiggrin:

Except some clerics with the Air Domain might not have a choice if they are using certain spells, I think.

Also, my physics is a little rusty, but I was pretty sure that the reason why things sink or float isn't based solely on their weight, and the whole matter is rather complex. The example for the Plane of Water is kind of silly since, as far as I can tell...

1.) No actual gravity. So no default pressure gradient. Buoyant objects are pushed in the direction of the gradient. In the real world, this is the surface.

2.) No surface. So why are we using terms like "sink" or "rise," again? Such language seems obsolete.

3.) I just wanted another number so I could rant about silly writing. Done.

Cirrylius
2013-04-03, 09:31 PM
"Djinn and tonic" is 1000% win.

...so anything that wasn't explicitly covered should still hold water.
Likewise.:smallbiggrin:

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-03, 09:32 PM
I have one word for you: Vampires.

But again, the vampires reference the spell. Unless I'm very much mistaken, there aren't "gaseous creatures." It's not a game term. If you want to refer to something in the game, use a game term. You can't just mix and match nouns and adjectives and hope the results are internally consistent. I don't mind when this is done if FAQ and such, but the RAW regularly goes through these linguistic acrobatics.

I know ranting about imperfection in RAW is a lost cause, but, as this is the internet, I have license to rant at will. *produces said license*

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 09:34 PM
But again, the vampires reference the spell. Unless I'm very much mistaken, there aren't "gaseous creatures." It's not a game term. If you want to refer to something in the game, use a game term. You can't just mix and match nouns and adjectives and hope the results are internally consistent. I don't mind when this is done if FAQ and such, but the RAW regularly goes through these linguistic acrobatics.

I know ranting about imperfection in RAW is a lost cause, but, as this is the internet, I have license to rant at will. *produces said license*

I don't know, I find it a lot more comfortable and wieldy to say "gaseous creatures" than "creatures under the gaseous form spell or similar effect".

Might be a matter of personal taste. :smallamused:

Keneth
2013-04-03, 09:37 PM
Well, air is made of gases, which by extension means air elementals are made of gases and that would technically make them gaseous creatures.

Except some clerics with the Air Domain might not have a choice if they are using certain spells, I think.

Then they should use a different spell and save everyone the headache and bruises for themselves. :smallbiggrin:

Also, my physics is a little rusty, but I was pretty sure that the reason why things sink or float isn't based solely on their weight, and the whole matter is rather complex.

Weight actually has nothing to do with whether or not an object will sink. It depends on the density of the object and displacement of water. Which is why a steel brick will sink (it's denser than water), but a steel ship will not since its shape displaces water with air, causing it to float. I merely brought up weight because it's directly proportional to density.

Morphie
2013-04-03, 09:39 PM
what did it look like visually?

I corrected my previous post, because it wasn't an air elemental but a water elemental instead. Our DM described it as a whirlwind of force, hence my mistake, since both have a similar appearance (in my head, I actually don't have a solid clue of how an air/water/fire elemental looks like).

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-03, 09:44 PM
I don't know, I find it a lot more comfortable and wieldy to say "gaseous creatures" than "creatures under the gaseous form spell or similar effect".

Might be a matter of personal taste. :smallamused:

As a person, yes, convenient language is nice and should be used as befits a given discussion.

But when one is writing a set of rules for a game that relies heavily on interpreting rules in unforeseen combinations and unique situations, the more consistent the definitions in use are, the better. Otherwise, colloquial usage works it's way into the RAW, and next thing we know, words like "effect" and such are regularly used in specific context, but with little indication as to the extent of English definition = RAW.

Is this nitpicking? Probably, but much of the game is pretty nitpicky, and since RAW debate is absent DM handwaving, I get to be nitpicky.

I do enjoy the discussion, though. The ruleset isn't perfect, and that lets us have all of this fun talking about it!

Cirrylius
2013-04-03, 09:50 PM
1.) No actual gravity. So no default pressure gradient. Buoyant objects are pushed in the direction of the gradient. In the real world, this is the surface.

2.) No surface. So why are we using terms like "sink" or "rise," again? Such language seems obsolete.

Heh. That got brought up in the Inner Planes Planescape supplement. Any bubbles just wander around erratically, since there's no surface to the plane, and pressure is steady and measurable despite the fact that there's an infinite amount of water pressing in on all sides.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 09:51 PM
As a person, yes, convenient language is nice and should be used as befits a given discussion.

But when one is writing a set of rules for a game that relies heavily on interpreting rules in unforeseen combinations and unique situations, the more consistent the definitions in use are, the better. Otherwise, colloquial usage works it's way into the RAW, and next thing we know, words like "effect" and such are regularly used in specific context, but with little indication as to the extent of English definition = RAW.

Is this nitpicking? Probably, but much of the game is pretty nitpicky, and since RAW debate is absent DM handwaving, I get to be nitpicky.

I do enjoy the discussion, though. The ruleset isn't perfect, and that lets us have all of this fun talking about it!

While you are quite right in every point, I would like to point out the economic issues that make it undesirable to have excessively wordy descriptions that, albeit conducive to clarity, would rapidly make books too unwieldy, intimidating, expensive and not very cost-effective when applied to all rules in general.

Hence why WotC has been doing erratas, rules clarifications and the like via online means and not in actual print (Dungeon magazine and Rules Compendium aside).

TuggyNE
2013-04-03, 11:10 PM
While you are quite right in every point, I would like to point out the economic issues that make it undesirable to have excessively wordy descriptions that, albeit conducive to clarity, would rapidly make books too unwieldy, intimidating, expensive and not very cost-effective when applied to all rules in general.

I'm not quite sure if this was meant to be self-demonstrating, but either way, good job. :smallwink:

Shadowknight12
2013-04-03, 11:23 PM
I'm not quite sure if this was meant to be self-demonstrating, but either way, good job. :smallwink:

It was, thank you. :smallbiggrin:

CyberThread
2013-04-04, 09:30 AM
So now, we have heavy air quality ?

Tanklin
2013-04-04, 09:34 AM
Air elemental trying to swim underwater is the same as a human trying to swim under quicksilver. It's impossible because the air elemental is too light to swim underwater.

He can probably surf very well i think.

Shining Wrath
2013-04-04, 09:45 AM
An Air Elemental is not just a bunch of air molecules. Leave an air elemental alone in a room for a week, and it's still an air elemental, not a bunch of molecules mixed in with the rest of the room.

Therefore, an air elemental has some sort of magic which keeps it's "air" cohesive, although the shape is fluid. This would continue to function under water, or in a vacuum.

Therefore, it would not turn into bubbles.

Given that it has a surface, however fluid the shape, and a volume, external forces can act upon it. No one ever tries to blow an air elemental away in air, because they've got more wind than you do. In the water, though, I'd think they'd be vulnerable to currents and to buoyancy. They would have to swim DOWN, hard, to not rise to the surface. Imagine a balsa wood golem (sillier things DO exist); an air elemental would have even more trouble remaining submerged. Having very minimal density, currents would be a huge problem for an air elemental; they've got no inertia relative to their surface area.

I also think an air elemental would be very uncomfortable in the water; it's out of it's element. I think they'd head for the surface post-haste unless stern control was maintained.

Tanklin
2013-04-04, 09:54 AM
An Air Elemental is not just a bunch of air molecules. Leave an air elemental alone in a room for a week, and it's still an air elemental, not a bunch of molecules mixed in with the rest of the room.

They would have to swim DOWN, hard, to not rise to the surface. Imagine a balsa wood golem (sillier things DO exist); an air elemental would have even more trouble remaining submerged. Having very minimal density, currents would be a huge problem for an air elemental; they've got no inertia relative to their surface area.

I'll give you an example of why i think they can't swim underwater. They're physic laws that can explain it, but i don't remember them very well. But i'll try to explain it.

When you try to submerge a baloon under water, first inches area relatively easy... next inches are difficult, and more than 3 feet it's practically impossible. You don't have enough strenght to keep the baloon underwater. I think the same happens with air elementals, they are pushed outside the water.

As i said, they are physics laws that can explain this, something about fluids, air pressure and other things, but i don't remember the formula.

Keneth
2013-04-04, 01:04 PM
Actually, that's not entirely correct. As mentioned before in this thread, the reason why things float depends on the density of the object and amount of water it displaces. Or in other words: buoyancy. To simplify things, buoyancy is a force equivalent to the weight of the fluid that is being displaced. So once the balloon filled with air is fully submerged, the force pushing it up is equivalent to the weight of the water that would fit inside it, but pushing it further down does not increase the force of buoyancy. In fact, since air is compressible, the balloon would start shrinking, reducing its volume, and thus reducing its buoyancy as you go further down.

So let's do some physics:

Assume that the air elemental is roughly humanoid in shape, so if it were made of flesh, it would weigh roughly 175 lbs. Since human density is only slightly higher than water density (which is why we sink if we exhale), the volume and thus weight of the water it would displace is roughly equivalent to that.

Let's also assume that an air elemental is incompressible, otherwise the thing would shrink to half its size every 30 feet of depth. So a medium-sized air elemental, that is submerged in water, would be buoyed upwards with a force of 175 lbs., which with its measly 2 lbs. of weight, is quite significant. In fact, since a medium-sized air elemental only has a Strength score of 12, that exceeds its maximum load. I don't think it can move underwater, it would be overloaded and limited to a 5-foot step with a full-round action.

Now, if we simplify things again somewhat, and assume that each size category increases the volume by a factor of 8, an elder air elemental, which is huge, would displace 64 times as much water as a medium-sized elemental, for a total of 11,200 lbs. or 5.6 short tons. With a weight of 12 lbs. and a Strength score of 22, it would be the equivalent of trying to fly while carrying a truck.

How's that for simplified high school physics? :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2013-04-04, 01:07 PM
I'll give you an example of why i think they can't swim underwater. They're physic laws that can explain it, but i don't remember them very well. But i'll try to explain it.

When you try to submerge a baloon under water, first inches area relatively easy... next inches are difficult, and more than 3 feet it's practically impossible. You don't have enough strenght to keep the baloon underwater. I think the same happens with air elementals, they are pushed outside the water.

As i said, they are physics laws that can explain this, something about fluids, air pressure and other things, but i don't remember the formula.

I think what you are referring to is that buoyancy is related to the pressure of the fluid surrounding the immersed object, and the deeper you get the higher the pressure of the water - every 32 feet of water is one atmosphere of pressure, IIRC.

Behold the glory that is Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy).

In science, buoyancy (pron.: /ˈbɔɪ.ənsi/) is an upward force exerted by a fluid, that opposes the weight of an immersed object. In a column of fluid, pressure increases with depth as a result of the weight of the overlying fluid. Thus a column of fluid, or an object submerged in the fluid, experiences greater pressure at the bottom of the column than at the top. This difference in pressure results in a net force that tends to accelerate an object upwards. The magnitude of that force is proportional to the difference in the pressure between the top and the bottom of the column, and (as explained by Archimedes' principle) is also equivalent to the weight of the fluid that would otherwise occupy the column, i.e. the displaced fluid.

hamishspence
2013-04-04, 01:13 PM
It's made of air and has no weight.

Actually they do have weights- those weights are just very low:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elemental.htm#airElemental

Keneth
2013-04-04, 01:31 PM
I think what you are referring to is that buoyancy is related to the pressure of the fluid surrounding the immersed object, and the deeper you get the higher the pressure of the water - every 32 feet of water is one atmosphere of pressure, IIRC.

Pressure actually doesn't play much of a role in water. Pressure increases the density of a fluid, but since water is largely incompressible, depth doesn't make much of a difference at all. Buoyancy only depends on the density of the fluid, so in water it remains pretty constant as long as the volume of the submerged object remains constant. Once the object starts compressing because of increasing pressure, the buoyancy should start decreasing if my memory serves me right.

Actually they do have weights

Yes, we've determined that a while ago, if you look at my previous post, I took those weights into account. I was probably thinking of incorporeal creatures or something when that thought crossed my mind.

Deophaun
2013-04-04, 01:40 PM
Let's also assume that an air elemental is incompressible, otherwise the thing would shrink to half its size every 30 feet of depth.
But now the problem is you can propagate sound waves faster than the speed of light through the elemental, which can probably be used to create a time machine somehow. :smallbiggrin:

Tanklin
2013-04-04, 02:04 PM

Behold the glory that is Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy).

Yeah... buoyancy, didn't knew that word, (english isn't my native language) thank you.

KillingAScarab
2013-04-04, 02:37 PM
It gets wet?Or does the water get it instead?
Nobody knows, Air Elemental
♪Accordion♪ (http://tmbw.net/wiki/Lyrics:Particle_Man)

Ashtagon
2013-04-04, 03:06 PM
An air elemental cannot enter water under its own power.

If teleported underwater in an area with any kind of gravity, it immediately floats upwards, and a case could be made for "falling" damage if the "ceiling" happens to be submerged. If teleported to an underwater area with no gravity, it is forced to "swim" in the same way a creature with the fly spell can "swim".

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-04, 03:11 PM
Or does the water get it instead?
Nobody knows, Air Elemental
♪Accordion♪ (http://tmbw.net/wiki/Lyrics:Particle_Man)

A They Might Be Giants reference. I think this is now my favorite thread, ever. Right up there with kung-fu dinosaurs.:smallcool: