PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] What level is this spell?

GoatBoy
2013-04-04, 12:57 AM
Memory Wipe
School enchantment (compulsion) [mind-affecting]; Level sorcerer/wizard (?), bard (?)
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect one creature
Duration 1 round, then instantaneous
Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes
Tiny motes of light flash before the target's eyes for a moment, and then fade. One round later, the creature forgets all events of the previous rounds (1 round per caster level). If the creature is still in combat, it re-rolls initiative at the beginning of the next round, and becomes flat-footed until its turn as if combat had started again. It retains any combat bonuses it had before the spell was cast from effects like rage, bardic music, or similar effects.

Hey folks, just wondering what everyone thinks is an appropriate power level for this spell. I'm thinking 2 at the very least, perhaps 3. It's aimed more at bards and stealthy casters who want a chance to make another Stealth check when spotted. It's also aimed at Pathfinder, so any disparity in the mechanics should be approached from this angle, should any arise. Thanks for your input.

TuggyNE
2013-04-04, 02:14 AM
Well, modify memory is a Bard 4 spell, and this is a less-powerful version (1 round/CL instead of 5 minutes). So 3rd should be fine, or perhaps even 2nd. It probably shouldn't be available to Sorcerers and Wizards, though.

GoatBoy
2013-04-04, 03:23 AM
Ah, I was searching the Sorc/Wiz list for spells with "memory" or "forget" in the title or description, but I forgot to check the bard list. Silly me. Thank you for the pointer.

Ir0npanda
2013-04-04, 03:52 AM
forgive me for derailing, but how would an effect like this work against PCs? The actual player obv doesn't forget anything...

GoatBoy
2013-04-04, 05:11 AM
The truth is, it probably wouldn't. Maybe that is why such a simple spell hasn't been published?

A sneaky DM could roll the Will save for the player, and then only play out the encounter if the PC succeeds, but this runs into other problems.

I really just wanted an "aggro-wipe" style spell. Is that possible?

TuggyNE
2013-04-04, 05:20 AM
The truth is, it probably wouldn't. Maybe that is why such a simple spell hasn't been published?

A sneaky DM could roll the Will save for the player, and then only play out the encounter if the PC succeeds, but this runs into other problems.

I really just wanted an "aggro-wipe" style spell. Is that possible?

Sure (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/cloudMind.htm). And it doesn't have to work on PCs to be useful, you know.

Ashtagon
2013-04-04, 08:00 AM
What this spell does in practice is cause flat-footedness if the agro situation began less than caster level rounds ago.

I'd make it level 2. In practice, it's only useful in rounds 2-3; later than that, and the battle is pretty much decided anyway. And if the spell level is 3+, then the actual "duration" limit will never come into play.

Yitzi
2013-04-04, 08:48 AM
forgive me for derailing, but how would an effect like this work against PCs? The actual player obv doesn't forget anything...

The same way you deal with all metagaming-related issues.