PDA

View Full Version : Shadow evocation contingency/wall of force?

isildur
2013-04-04, 01:12 AM
i think Shadow contingency 100% works (because i can choose voluntarily fail will save.)

and wall of force have 100% effect on who fail will save, and have no effect on others and objects.

is it correct?

TuggyNE
2013-04-04, 01:35 AM
i think Shadow contingency 100% works (because i can choose voluntarily fail will save.)

There is much debate on whether the ability to auto-fail a save (in general) is enough to overcome the obvious fact that you know you cast an Illusion, and so (by RAW, since you're faced with proof) auto-succeed on your Will save to disbelieve. This basically requires DM adjudication.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-04, 01:43 AM
There is much debate on whether the ability to auto-fail a save (in general) is enough to overcome the obvious fact that you know you cast an Illusion, and so (by RAW, since you're faced with proof) auto-succeed on your Will save to disbelieve. This basically requires DM adjudication.

You could argue that an auto-disbelieved Shadow Contingency would only go off 60% of the time the condition is met, which, when combined with PrCs like Shadowcraft Mage, can end up being close to 100% (if not actually 100%).

There's a discrepancy in the spell, though, which simultaneously states "nondamaging effects only have a 60% of occurring" and "nondamaging effects fail against disbelievers."

isildur
2013-04-04, 01:58 AM
Spells that deal damage have normal effects unless an affected creature succeeds on a Will save. Each disbelieving creature takes only one-fifth damage from the attack. If the disbelieved attack has a special effect other than damage, that effect is one-fifth as strong (if applicable) or only 20% likely to occur. If recognized as a shadow evocation, a damaging spell deals only one-fifth (20%) damage. Regardless of the result of the save to disbelieve, an affected creature is also allowed any save (or spell resistance) that the spell being simulated allows, but the save DC is set according to shadow evocation’s level (5th) rather than the spell’s normal level.

Nondamaging effects have normal effects except against those who disbelieve them. Against disbelievers, they have no effect.

"x% likely to occur" is just for Nondamaging effects by disbelieved attack. reguler Nondamaging effects work perfectly to believer and have no effect on disbeliever. i think.