PDA

View Full Version : How come none of you told me about this.

McDouggal
2013-04-04, 01:21 AM
I only just found out about Lindsey Stirling and Epic Rap Battles of History yesterday.

WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT THIS BEFORE T_T

Don Julio Anejo
2013-04-04, 01:44 AM
I only just found out about Lindsey Stirling and Epic Rap Battles of History yesterday.

Strongly seconded. Why people, why?? :frown:

Tebryn
2013-04-04, 01:46 AM
Because we thought you all knew. We're all sorry we didn't know you didn't know.

Killer Angel
2013-04-04, 01:53 AM
Oh, man... Epic is, indeed, the word. :smallbiggrin:

(the down side is that it's another internet thingy upon I will waste my precious time.)

Tebryn
2013-04-04, 01:56 AM
Luckily they don't update often, unless you start refreshing their page ever 20 minutes you should be good. They are helpful in posting their posting list early so you can just check when you know they'll update.

Another really awesome Youtube Channel I think a lot of people here would like is The Steam Powered Giraffes (http://www.youtube.com/user/SpineRaptor?feature=watch). A pretty unique Steam Punk themed band with some pretty killer music. Oh, and I run a gaming channel on Youtube and I'm pretty awesome. So there's some shameless self promotion. :smallredface:

KillianHawkeye
2013-04-04, 07:40 AM
Who is Lindsey Stirling? :smallconfused:

My favorite Epic Rap Battle is always going to be The Wright Brothers VS The Mario Bros.

McDouggal
2013-04-04, 07:45 AM
Who is Lindsey Stirling? :smallconfused:

Lindsey Stirling is an extremely good violinist/dancer/performer thing who is extremely good, and you should go watch her videos.

My favorite Epic Rap Battle is always going to be The Wright Brothers VS The Mario Bros.

Mine's gotta be Frank Sinatra vs. Freddie Mercury.

Saithis Bladewing
2013-04-04, 01:10 PM
Wright Brothers are the best duo ERB has ever seen.

Einstein vs. Hawking may be my favourite though. Hard to say.

Winter_Wolf
2013-04-04, 01:15 PM

Well, y'see, I live under a rock and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Come back to me when you want to know about snakes and bugs that live under rocks, I'll hook you up. :smalltongue:

Eldonauran
2013-04-04, 01:16 PM
Mine's gotta be Frank Sinatra vs. Freddie Mercury.

Yes. That one is probably my favorite. Followed closely by Clint Eastwood vs Bruce Lee.

Romney vs Obama was a hoot (EAGLE!) and, and, and .... and... :smalleek:

Ergh. I like them all except for Palin vs Gaga and Marylin vs Cleopatra. :smallannoyed: Even Adam vs Eve was decent compared to those (yay opinions).

You want reasons for me not liking them? Fine. I dislike 'vulgar' rap. Sure, insults are funny and veiled innuedo is great but I really dislike blatent and thinly veiled vulgarity. Another example from ERB? The 'fan-made' joker vs V. Complete garbage in my opinion.

Aran nu tasar
2013-04-04, 03:18 PM
Having done a lot of reading on their rivalry, I thought Edison v. Tesla was brilliant, mostly because I could get all of the subtle (and not-so-subtle) references that I may have missed in some of the others. But yeah, ERB has done some awesome stuff.

angrymudcrab
2013-04-04, 03:30 PM
*Curses loudly* How did you find out? Who talked?!!! Time to break out the neuralyzers.:smalltongue:

My favorite is Bill Gates vs Steve Jobs.:smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2013-04-04, 03:43 PM
Lindsey Stirling is an extremely good violinist/dancer/performer thing who is extremely good, and you should go watch her videos.

Ooooh, wait, I've seen her Zelda video. I just forgot her name, LOL. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

North_Ranger
2013-04-04, 03:46 PM
Personally I'm a fan of Tesla vs Edison, and Batman vs Sherlock Holmes.

Karoht
2013-04-04, 04:32 PM

But I did tell you.
That one time, we were at epic violin and epic rap battle camp.
You said it was the best summer ever!
I can't believe you don't remember. :smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2013-04-05, 07:59 PM

Well, we wanted to wait until you were a little older before we told you. It's not exactly an easy topic to bring up.

Partysan
2013-04-06, 09:45 AM
Concerning Lindsey Stirling: while I think she's rather good, I'm not a violinist. Is there anyone here who plays the violin and who is qualified to tell me how good she actually is at playing?

Pyromancer999
2013-04-06, 02:37 PM
Which one is it?

Toastkart
2013-04-06, 03:58 PM
Concerning Lindsey Stirling: while I think she's rather good, I'm not a violinist. Is there anyone here who plays the violin and who is qualified to tell me how good she actually is at playing?

I'm not a violinist either, so I couldn't answer from a technical aspect, but what kind of answer are you looking for exactly? She dances while she's playing even during live events and she has several songs that fit in genres that the violin isn't exactly known for, so there really isn't any sort of fair comparison to be made.

Tebryn
2013-04-06, 04:03 PM
I'm not a violinist either, so I couldn't answer from a technical aspect, but what kind of answer are you looking for exactly? She dances while she's playing even during live events and she has several songs that fit in genres that the violin isn't exactly known for, so there really isn't any sort of fair comparison to be made.

Nor should how good she is at the technical aspects of the violin effect how you feel about her on a personal level. As above poster said, she does things most violinist just don't do. Comparing her to a Classical Violinist isn't fair to either person. She's good at what she does and she improves noticeably over time. Watch some of her stuff when she went on America's Got Talent! and you'll see just how much she's improved over the years.

Partysan
2013-04-06, 04:09 PM
This doesn't really have anything to do with my personal opinion of her. I think she's a great artist and the only negative thing I know about her I can't discuss because of forum policy. That doesn't change that I'd be very interested in actually learning about how well her technical skill compares. And yes, I am aware that her dancing while playing skill (which is probably quite difficult I imagine) and her choice of songs makes the assessment difficult.
Technical skill as a violinist isn't all that matters for her as an artist, but it's one thing that matters and it's the thing I know least about and thus am trying to learn a bit more. I don't see how that's wrong.

Tebryn
2013-04-06, 04:28 PM
This doesn't really have anything to do with my personal opinion of her. I think she's a great artist and the only negative thing I know about her I can't discuss because of forum policy. That doesn't change that I'd be very interested in actually learning about how well her technical skill compares. And yes, I am aware that her dancing while playing skill (which is probably quite difficult I imagine) and her choice of songs makes the assessment difficult.
Technical skill as a violinist isn't all that matters for her as an artist, but it's one thing that matters and it's the thing I know least about and thus am trying to learn a bit more. I don't see how that's wrong.

It doesn't make it difficult. It makes it meaningless. It'd be like comparing Slayer to The Cleveland Orchestra. They're not the same type of technical skill so gauging them against one another isn't going to actually tell you anything. It's not wrong to ask nor did anyone say it was. Who is to judge the technical skill of Bob Dylan? How does he stack up to a Classical guitarist? Why does it matter what the answer is even? Do you enjoy the song? Do you enjoy the performance? Beans to how she stacks up to someone else. Not everything in life is a competition.

Karoht
2013-04-08, 10:00 AM
Lindsey's first appearance on America's Got Talent
I'll sum it up for you.
Basically, rather than playing the music herself, it was more like she was playing violin over top of some hip hop. And you could hear numerous mistakes and sour notes, even in amongst that much noise.
And I would still listen to that over most music these days.

Now?
She's learned how to move her body and play at the same time. I'm sure she hits bad notes from time to time, but I have yet to hear such a complaint from anyone I know who has seen her live.
Her live shows are very good, though short. She doesn't yet have the stamina to dance and play (and occasionally sing) for long periods of time, but she is in pretty decent shape so she will get there.
Her music videos are awesome because they can record her playing at her best, mix it perfectly with other effects, and then she can focus 100% on her choreography.

My fiance and I had something really amazing planned for our wedding. We were going to have a pair of steampunked remote control zepplins, and play the song Starships. We were going to dance, airships were going to fly. It was going to be epic. The venue said no, which made us very sad.

I really wish she would do something in the vein of electro-swing at some point.

Daniel Raen
2013-04-08, 02:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XSyhM03.png

She's pretty entertaining to watch :smallsmile:

Which Zelda video are you guys talking about? The musical one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3KUyPKbR7Q) or the pot smashing one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXmMQJMFL_I)?

Mc. Lovin'
2013-04-09, 05:14 AM
I like them all except for Palin vs Gaga and Marylin vs Cleopatra. :smallannoyed: Even Adam vs Eve was decent compared to those (yay opinions).

I thought the Marylin vs Cleopatra one came accross as a bit sexist. Almost the entire rap was about their lovers / how much they have sex or whatever. In the male rap battles it's almost never mentioned! They rap about their achievements instead. It was like the only thing that measures a woman's worth was who they'd had sex with. Which wasn't cool to me

rakkoon
2013-04-09, 08:35 AM
ok...that's addicting....need to go watch the rest of them.
Gandalf vs Dumbledore was best so far

Eldonauran
2013-04-10, 01:51 PM
I thought the Marylin vs Cleopatra one came accross as a bit sexist. Almost the entire rap was about their lovers / how much they have sex or whatever. In the male rap battles it's almost never mentioned! They rap about their achievements instead. It was like the only thing that measures a woman's worth was who they'd had sex with. Which wasn't cool to me

Yeah. I find it vulgar. Its the same for comedians. I can't stand to watch most female comedians because most of their jokes are completely dirty and a bit too graphic for me (and thats saying something).

Too much emphasis on sex appeal in the media. I could care less about how much sex appeal someone has. How many partners someone has had isn't worth any amount of credit to me, male or female.

Dark Elf Bard
2013-04-10, 10:20 PM
The Bill Gates vs. Steve jobs sent a shiver down my spine. Dunno why.

Babe Ruth vs. Lance Armstrong... wow. Armstrong got his ass handed to him.

Also, Moses vs. Santa Claus was pretty fun.

Also, does anyone know the difference between nicepeter & ERB?

FinnLassie
2013-04-11, 07:02 AM
Hee, ERB. I haven't checked them out in a while, but I remember laughing my butt off to Gandalf vs Dumbledore and Mario Bros vs Wright brothers. :smallbiggrin: And Santa vs Moses was pretty funny too although it suffers from the inaccuracy of where Santa actually comes from. :smallamused:

I can see the appeal in Lindsey, but to me personally she just doesn't make any effect. I'm just not into lassies who play the violin and dance, I suppose. :smalltongue:

OP, I guess I know how you feel though. When I found out about OotS I was just thinking why nobody ever told me about this awesomeness before.

Eldonauran
2013-04-11, 11:24 AM
There is a new one up. Some dude called Skrillex (who is this?) vs Mozart. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dark Elf Bard
2013-04-11, 02:10 PM
Skrillex is an American electro-dubstep artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skrillex

Mc. Lovin'
2013-04-14, 11:58 AM
The Bill Gates vs. Steve jobs sent a shiver down my spine. Dunno why.

Also, does anyone know the difference between nicepeter & ERB?

That one was my favourite too. I think it has a great song, plus I love the video itself (with Jobs giving a presentation and Gates in the background). Also, they actually zing each other line after line, like they're properly rap battling, rather than delivinging a rehearsed paragraph of stuff

nicepeter was the original channel the videos were uploaded to. They then moved to their own channel, which is ERB