PDA

View Full Version : Question about Malconvoker

herculesftw
2013-04-04, 01:53 AM
To the right for lvling spell casting of most prestige classes, it usually shows +1 arcane or divine ect. This just says "+1 existing spellcasting class" If I went 5th conjurer/2nd ur priest/1st mystic theurge/2nd malconvoker. Would that lvl of malconvoker level up mystic theurge which would then level my ur priest spell casting?

Gnorman
2013-04-04, 01:57 AM
Doubtful, verging on no. Malconvoker is "arcane or divine." So you have to pick one. Mystic Theurge isn't an arcane or a divine casting class per se - it merely progresses both. Your arcane casting class is Conjurer. Your divine casting class is Ur-Priest. Mystic Theurge doesn't fall into either category.

herculesftw
2013-04-04, 02:09 AM
this is what it says for malconvoker "At each level beyond 1st, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. "

Gnorman
2013-04-04, 02:11 AM
Yes, I realize that. But Mystic Theurge is not a "spellcasting" class, at least in this context. It progresses the casting of two other "spellcasting" classes, one arcane, the other divine. But there is no "Mystic Theurge spell list." There's no "Mystic Theurge casting."

Think of it this way: if you could somehow take Mystic Theurge without having any arcane or divine spells in the first place, would it give you any spellcasting? No. It only progresses that which you already have. It does not confer anything in its own right.

herculesftw
2013-04-04, 02:29 AM
Ah, okay I get it, thanks=)