PDA

View Full Version : How to defeat an epic wizard (Drawmij)? And more..

Jon_Dahl
2013-04-04, 02:28 AM
As the DM, I have to work a scheme involving high-level NPCs and a large kingdom. All this is a bit too much for me, so any help would appreciated.

A small nation (Sterich) has been destroyed. Right now it's occupied by several thousand (30,000-50,000) spectres, dozens of hezrous, small assortment of other demons and awaken stone statues. These are directly commanded by a disembodied demon (obyrinth) lord the Malgoth.

Other occupiers include a few frost giant clans, a few hundred orcs and goblins and a powerful red dragon, which are all allied with the Malgoth. The Malgoth also has a thrall who is a mid-level human wizard with extensive military, nobility and local knowledge of the nation and surrounding kingdoms (he is a former army captain and a son of a baron).

Malgoth can cast Planar Ally every week (only CE allies). The ally doesn't require any payment or upkeep. Other abilities are purely combat or defence related.

The primary goal of the Malgoth is to regain his physical form and return back to the Abyss to kick some butt. As I see it, the only way to get this True Resurrection. Secondary goal is to destroy all creation.

The neighbouring kingdom (Keoland) has 1,800,000 inhabitants. Most of the military is busy in other kingdoms or areas and the kingdom itself is defended by a skeleton force. Some of the more powerful figures in the kingdom include a 19th-level wizard and Drawmij, a 21st-level wizard/2nd-level Horizon Walker. Drawmij doesn't reside in the kingdom, but by its shores in an undersea fortress. There are no epic-level clerics and powerful cleric are few and far between.

How should the Malgoth proceed in his plans?

Gnorman
2013-04-04, 02:34 AM
Buy the wizards off with succubi.

Shadowknight12
2013-04-04, 02:36 AM
It seems almost too straightforward, but spectres are actually exceedingly powerful, and in those numbers, they should be able to decimate the entire world, so taking an entire kingdom hostage until someone steps up to cast True Resurrection (and then just kill everyone anyway for the evulz) is definitely feasible.

Hope your PCs are made up entirely of force mages, ghost-touch warriors and anti-undead clerics.

Keyword: Spectrocalypse.

Arcanist
2013-04-04, 03:36 AM
Buy the wizards off with succubi.

... I like this plan... I like it a lot :smallamused:

But seriously enough, the obvious first step is to remove the Wizard from his seat of power. Pending his level of intelligence, this can range anywhere from jumping him with a bunch of negative levels and accidentally destroying the entire plane...

If this is the Greyhawk Drawmij then you just lose automatically because then the Circle of Eight gets involved...

Mr Adventurer
2013-04-04, 09:40 AM
40 000 spectres is a world-ending force.