PDA

View Full Version : The Advanced Gunslinger: Expensive?

Theprettiestorc
2013-04-04, 02:52 AM
Someone pointed out to me that Cartridges(metal), the 15g entry in the book, were the explicit dead-on ammo for Advanced Firearms, no questions asked.

I had always thought that you buy/make a bunch of Cartridges, and then load bullets and black powder into them as normal. And then after a battle, you play a game of find the cartridge so that you can pick them up and set them back up for firing. Like how you can in real life.

So I guess my question is: could either be considered the right interpretation? Because if the latter is true, then the gunslinger gets a bit less outrageously expensive.

Juntao112
2013-04-04, 03:09 AM
If you use a revolver, all your brass comes out in a nice little pile.

I'd be inclined to allow it, although I don't know if that's the official position. You could ask PF, but given that some PF designers (who shall remain nameless) tend to issue some rather odd rules interpretations, perhaps you would be better off leaving that can of worms unopened.

Theprettiestorc
2013-04-04, 10:16 AM
If you use a revolver, all your brass comes out in a nice little pile.

I'd be inclined to allow it, although I don't know if that's the official position. You could ask PF, but given that some PF designers (who shall remain nameless) tend to issue some rather odd rules interpretations, perhaps you would be better off leaving that can of worms unopened.

Yeah. I guess I'd leave it up to the DM - and have them roll a percentile when you're looking, to see how many you pick up. Stone floor? Easier to find. Bog? HELL no. XD.

stack
2013-04-04, 10:25 AM
If you are playing with 'firearms everywhere', all prices are 10% of list.

I would count the metallic cartridge as the whole thing, given that it is listed as the advanced equivalent of an alchemical cartridge. RAW you can't recycle them; I would personally allow a cost reduction if a player made a point of retrieving spent brass and bought a hand-loading press.

Theprettiestorc
2013-04-04, 01:23 PM
If you are playing with 'firearms everywhere', all prices are 10% of list.

I would count the metallic cartridge as the whole thing, given that it is listed as the advanced equivalent of an alchemical cartridge. RAW you can't recycle them; I would personally allow a cost reduction if a player made a point of retrieving spent brass and bought a hand-loading press.

O.e. So you're saying I should homebrew a bullet-press?

Aerlock
2013-04-04, 01:50 PM
O.e. So you're saying I should homebrew a bullet-press?

Just call it Masterwork Gunsmithing tools and you're set. Having seen my father do lots of bullet making/reloading for both blackpowder and modern weapons I can say that these tools would be portable but require something of a workshop or place to do the work undisturbed.

EDIT: See here (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/shooting-reloading-presses-dies/_/N-1100195+4294731238/Ne-4294731238?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU) for some examples. They're not particularly large but are a bit too unwieldy to use "on the trail".

- Aerlock

Theprettiestorc
2013-04-04, 06:25 PM
Just call it Masterwork Gunsmithing tools and you're set. Having seen my father do lots of bullet making/reloading for both blackpowder and modern weapons I can say that these tools would be portable but require something of a workshop or place to do the work undisturbed.

EDIT: See here (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/shooting-reloading-presses-dies/_/N-1100195+4294731238/Ne-4294731238?WTz_st=GuidedNav&WTz_stype=GNU) for some examples. They're not particularly large but are a bit too unwieldy to use "on the trail".

- Aerlock

So...70gp, and 10lbs, for an Advanced Gunsmith's Kit. Besides letting you reuse empty Cartridges, I think it may have to provide a circumstance bonus for something or other. Perhaps allows you to Masterwork a firearm with the applicable monetary costs?

And only usable somewhere you've got a table and such.

TuggyNE
2013-04-04, 06:46 PM
Yeah. I guess I'd leave it up to the DM - and have them roll a percentile when you're looking, to see how many you pick up. Stone floor? Easier to find. Bog? HELL no. XD.

I wonder if you can do a skill check to determine what percentage you get… probably Search: if you beat the DC by 10, you get d%+50; if you beat the DC by 5, you get d%+25; if you beat the DC, you get d%; if you miss by less than 5, you get d%-25; and if you miss by less than 10, you get d%-50. (Maximum of 100% and minimum of 0% in all cases, of course.)

In other words, two rolls for a whole battle's worth of cartridges, but the more skilled you are, the more likely you are to find them.

Why no, I haven't given this too much thought! :smallbiggrin: