PDA

View Full Version : Public Domain Classical Music

Riverdance
2013-04-04, 09:15 AM
I need a piece of music to put to a montage. The scene focusses around one of the main characters sitting by a fireplace and writing poems down to help herself move on from the death of her former partner (who was a poet). It also fades in and out of other scenes of his ghost whispering poetry in her ear while she sleeps. I was going to use Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, but that's not public until 2031. I'm looking for something calm, with notes of resolution, maybe a little sad, but getting better. Preferably something without too many high notes. The scene is about 1 minute 10 seconds, so it could be any short piece out of a larger one. Thanks Playground!
-Riverdance

JoshL
2013-04-04, 09:36 AM
Archive.org is, as always, a good place to start. A quick google search turned up this list: http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/public-domain-recordings.html which has a couple more suggestions. Lots of stuff to listen to. Be aware that while the piece may be public domain, the recording may or may not be.

What do you need this for? Youtube video? Short film for festivals? When do you need it by? If you can't find anything you like, send me a PM, I might be able to hook you up with something.

Jimorian
2013-04-04, 09:39 AM
Without getting into specific legal advice, the thing that makes this complicated is the the recording has its own copyright outside of the actual composition. So, anything written/composed before 1924 is automatically public domain, as is any recordings made before then (though they aren't likely to be very high quality :smalltongue:)

So start with any of the classic composers working before the 1920s, then start researching recordings of these that may have fallen into public domain because of lack of renewals. There are some decent recordings from the 40s and 50s, typically with various national orchestras around the world, that may fit the bill.

ETA: if you really need something unencumbered by rights issues, like for a short film, talk to students at a nearby college music program to see if you can get a custom piece written and recorded. It's good practical experience for them, and they'll likely do it just for the credit, or perhaps a bit of pocket money at most.

Elemental
2013-04-05, 03:04 AM
Alternatively, once you've found your piece but not a recording, look for a community orchestra/band or the like who'd be willing to record the piece for you.
Most should be fine with just being credited.

Howler Dagger
2013-04-05, 07:33 AM
The IMSLP (http://imslp.org/) claims to have over 23 thousands recording, so you might want to check it out.

Riverdance
2013-04-05, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys, we ended up using Chopin's "Nocturne" Thanks for the links.