PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to use X/day class abilities more than X times per day?

Nettlekid
2013-04-04, 11:24 AM
I think the title says it all, pretty much. I love cool and unusual class features, but am so put off by limited usage. Right now I'm looking at the Shaper of Form in the Dragon Compendium, which gets a lot of cool transmutation type Supernatural abilities. The ability of theirs that I really like is one that allows them to see an object, even a magic item, and turn anything they can touch into that object/item for 1 round/level, so long as the final value of the item is less than 1000 gold/level. If at level 10 you could make basically any item of 10000 gold or less, that would be fantastic for an FMA-style alchemist character. But that cool ability is only once per day. Is there any way to increase the uses? The only thing I've thought of is if they were a Wu Jen, they could use Body outside Body and then use their clones' daily uses instead of their own.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-04-04, 11:29 AM
Eberron Campaign setting lets you spend a couple of action points to gain an additional use of an x/day ability but RAW it's only for certain class abilities; Bardic music, Barbarian Rage, Smite, wildshape and turn undead IIRC, wouldn't be much to say you can expend more action points to use other abilities but that would be up to the DM

8wGremlin
2013-04-04, 12:59 PM
Could you have a spell thief steal it?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-04, 01:15 PM
Eberron Campaign setting lets you spend a couple of action points to gain an additional use of an x/day ability but RAW it's only for certain class abilities; Bardic music, Barbarian Rage, Smite, wildshape and turn undead IIRC, wouldn't be much to say you can expend more action points to use other abilities but that would be up to the DM

This+Unfetered Heroism equals TONS of DMM.

ericgrau
2013-04-04, 02:22 PM
Some abilities have specific feats for them. Like rage, smite and turning. Never hurts to google and see if there's one for the thing you want. Or if you're not trying to pull a cheesy combo from extra uses of something, you can always ask the DM for a similar custom feat for whatever you want. It's not unreasonable. For what you want IMO +1 use/day per feat is reasonable.

Other than that... mass simulacrums, leadership, manipulate form (pun-pun), illithid savant ally, and so on. I don't think that's something they want to make a general purpose ability; way too scary to a designer.

nedz
2013-04-04, 04:32 PM
Extra Divine Power
+2 uses of Divinely granted class ability per day.
E.g. Shugenja’s Sense Elements, Spirit Shaman’s Spirit Form
Not abilities granted by Domains.

Dragon Magazine 343 p91 so YMMV