PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get a 1st level spell as a non-caster

Deadline
2013-04-04, 11:32 AM
So I'm looking at building a character that uses improvised weapons, and I'd really like to negate the non-proficiency penalty. Is there any way I can get Master's Touch (Bard 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Vigilante 1) as a spell or spell-like ability without resorting to magic items or actually taking levels in a casting class?

Yogibear41
2013-04-04, 12:33 PM
There is the redheaded feat from one of the ravenloft books that lets you cast a 1st level druid spell. Perhaps a homebrew of the feat? There are also several feats that let you cast 2 or 3 1st level spells as spell ike abilities like detect magic and similar low power spells in complete arcane or complete mage, but none of them allow that specific spell

dr_doomtron
2013-04-04, 12:41 PM
Races of the dragon has a ritual for kobolds called the draconic right of passage or something that for 1hp you get a 1st level sorcerer spell once a day

ahenobarbi
2013-04-04, 01:05 PM
AFAIK you can't do it with just one feat. You could take Magical Training (Players Guide to Faerun) to get 0t level spells, then some feats that would allow you to heighten 0th level spell to 2nd level (like Heighten Spell, Practical Metamagic(Heighten Spell) and Sanctum Spell), then take Extra Slot to get 1st level slot... however it consumes a lot of feats.

As mentioned if you can be a Kobold Draconic Rite of Passage from Races of the Dragon will get you an SLA 1/day (you can take a feat Draconic Reservoir from the same book to mke it 3/day) for 1 HP and some gold.

I don't know why you're against magic items, Eternal Wand and Use Magic Device could work pretty good here.

Also take a look at Drunken Master prestige class (Complete Warrior) it might solve your problem :smallsmile:

Yogibear41
2013-04-04, 01:17 PM
On 2nd thought I seem to remember a feat that allowed you to use improvised weapons without penalty, however I can't remeber the name :smallfrown: will let you know if I come across it again.

Eldonauran
2013-04-04, 03:58 PM
You could ... buy it. Find someone with Craft Magical Tattoo (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Craft_Magic_Tattoo_%283.5e_Feat%29).

Its not technically a magic item.

ericgrau
2013-04-04, 04:27 PM
Given how cheap a 1st level spell is, an item is probably a better bet than a special ability. UMDing a scroll is 25 gp a pop, for example. The bigger problem is drawing it and keeping your hands free. A tattoo is one answer if you can find an NPC to do it. A custom magic item isn't unreasonable either, if your DM doesn't mind. But this is a non-abusive use, so why not? 1,800 gp for at will, command word activated, CL 1, lasts 1 minute. Eats your swift action and a magic item slot and is usually worse than a real weapon. IMO head, bracers, gloves or ring are reasonable slots. Slotless would be 3,600 gp.

EDIT: Oh, wait, it's non-abusive only on improvised weapons. Otherwise I could see it being abused as a cheap way to get around exotic weapon proficiency. Hmmm, maybe 1,800 gp for a 5/day item then.

Jesterface
2013-04-04, 04:47 PM
On 2nd thought I seem to remember a feat that allowed you to use improvised weapons without penalty, however I can't remeber the name :smallfrown: will let you know if I come across it again.

There's one in Pathfinder I do believe.

Empedocles
2013-04-04, 05:39 PM
Well if all you want is to be able to use improvised weapons without penalty, there's a Pathfinder feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/catch-off-guard-combat) that does it. Called catch off-guard.

Also, becoming a bloodbound of the Red Ring in the City of Stormreach reduces the improvised weapon penalty to -2, and it's RAW. Stack this with the hulking hurler, and you totally negate it.

Drunken master is probably the easiest route of getting full improvised weapon proficiency.

All the ways I know of to get access to the spell you requested have already been mentioned.

Jesterface
2013-04-04, 05:48 PM
As far as I can tell, Drunken Master doesn't actually grant proficiency in improv. weapons, only bonus damage and things like 'reach' and 'disarm' extras.