PDA

View Full Version : Building a Rastafied Bard/Druid

Amaril
2013-04-04, 12:00 PM
As the title indicates, I have an idea for a character I might want to play at some point who's basically Bob Marley. I'm pretty sure I want him to be a Bard/Druid with exceptional Wis and Cha, but beyond that I don't really have any character decisions in mind. Any suggestions for spells, feats, skills, etc. that would fit this image?

OzymandiasX
2013-04-04, 12:07 PM
As the title indicates, I have an idea for a character I might want to play at some point who's basically Bob Marley. I'm pretty sure I want him to be a Bard/Druid with exceptional Wis and Cha, but beyond that I don't really have any character decisions in mind. Any suggestions for spells, feats, skills, etc. that would fit this image?

I don't really see Bob Marley as a combat character. Maybe along the lines of herbal medicine you can pick up craft alchemy and/or poison (depending on how you want to roleplay)

Since he probably wouldn't be a weapon-type guy, get the druid alternate class feature Shapeshifter and have all of this combat be in animal form.

thethird
2013-04-04, 12:12 PM
Bard 2 / Druid 3 / Green Whisperer (DR 311) / Fochluan Lyrist 10 ?

Amaril
2013-04-04, 12:21 PM
I don't really see Bob Marley as a combat character. Maybe along the lines of herbal medicine you can pick up craft alchemy and/or poison (depending on how you want to roleplay)

Since he probably wouldn't be a weapon-type guy, get the druid alternate class feature Shapeshifter and have all of this combat be in animal form.

Yeah, he'd be a very pacifistic and non-combat-focused character. Hence the usefulness of the Bard class' magic to avoid fights.

prufock
2013-04-04, 12:22 PM
What level or levels will you be playing? Sacred Vow, Vow of Nonviolence, and Vow of Peace might fit this concept (all from Book of Exalted Deeds), combined with a charisma-centric class. Bard is a good fit for the build in any case, and you'd have some good charisma synergy. You may wish to combine with Paladin of Freedom variant for Divine Grace and other assorted bennies. Devoted Performer feat would let you get extra bardic music uses, but you'd be better off taking Extra Music if you're going to have less than 4 levels of paladin. Also, Smite Evil would be useless to you.

Another decent idea would be a theurge of bard and Apostle of Peace. While AoP requires the crummy Vow of Poverty feat, just make sure you choose bard spells that don't have material components (or take Eschew Materials).
Bard 8/Apostle of Peace 2/Sublime Chord 2/Mystic Theurge 8 or similar could be all right, but you'll need a good Wisdom score along with Charisma.

Amaril
2013-04-04, 12:31 PM
What level or levels will you be playing? Sacred Vow, Vow of Nonviolence, and Vow of Peace might fit this concept (all from Book of Exalted Deeds), combined with a charisma-centric class. Bard is a good fit for the build in any case, and you'd have some good charisma synergy. You may wish to combine with Paladin of Freedom variant for Divine Grace and other assorted bennies. Devoted Performer feat would let you get extra bardic music uses, but you'd be better off taking Extra Music if you're going to have less than 4 levels of paladin. Also, Smite Evil would be useless to you.

Another decent idea would be a theurge of bard and Apostle of Peace. While AoP requires the crummy Vow of Poverty feat, just make sure you choose bard spells that don't have material components (or take Eschew Materials).
Bard 8/Apostle of Peace 2/Sublime Chord 2/Mystic Theurge 8 or similar could be all right, but you'll need a good Wisdom score along with Charisma.

I don't actually have any plans to use this in a particular game right now--I like to just build characters for fun with the possibility that I might play them someday. This will probably be a Pathfinder character, though, so I'll have to be careful about building around 3.5 material, especially non-core stuff (my current DM isn't a fan of 3.5's massive number of splatbooks, hence his preference for Pathfinder).

prufock
2013-04-04, 12:46 PM
I don't actually have any plans to use this in a particular game right now--I like to just build characters for fun with the possibility that I might play them someday. This will probably be a Pathfinder character, though, so I'll have to be careful about building around 3.5 material, especially non-core stuff (my current DM isn't a fan of 3.5's massive number of splatbooks, hence his preference for Pathfinder).

If you want to go with either of my suggested build types (the bard/paladin or the theurge), you can do it with only one splat - the Book of Exalted Deeds. Just drop Paladin of Freedom from the first one and Sublime Chord from the theurge build and progress more bard casting instead.

Of course if it's PF-only, that's no good. Unfortunately I'm not as well-versed with PF as 3.5.

Unusual Muse
2013-04-04, 01:30 PM
If Bob Marley did use Wildshape, he'd definitely turn into a lion!