PDA

View Full Version : Could you use an alphorn as a greatclub?

CyberThread
2013-04-04, 01:37 PM
The suckers are big, and well heavy from what I understand. Could you use an alphorn, if you made it from Iron or such, and hit folks with it as a great club?

Gerrtt
2013-04-04, 02:04 PM
Sure, but it's an improvised weapon and as such will take -4 to hit. Unless you have a class feature or other ability that can sidestep that penalty. Also, it's hollow, so if you whack it against things enough eventually the damage you are doing to it will make it collapse under the force and the weight of the horn itself.

But yeah, sure.

XionUnborn01
2013-04-04, 02:27 PM
I could also see it being justified to give you reach, or allow you to do the sweeping attack that the (war hulk?) does. I think it's the war hulk.

Zaq
2013-04-04, 03:05 PM
Even relatively minor damage to such a thing could seriously impact its acoustic properties if you're unlucky . . . but this is a fantasy game where people shoot 10 or more arrows in six seconds, actually attack with two weapons instead of just parrying with one of them, fight at full strength after taking several greataxe hits to the face, and somehow actually get eight hours of sleep every friggin' night, so what the hell. I'd allow it, or at least I'd allow a specially-made one. What's the harm?

herrhauptmann
2013-04-04, 03:19 PM
Even relatively minor damage to such a thing could seriously impact its acoustic properties if you're unlucky . . . but this is a fantasy game where people shoot 10 or more arrows in six seconds, actually attack with two weapons instead of just parrying with one of them, fight at full strength after taking several greataxe hits to the face, and somehow actually get eight hours of sleep every friggin' night, so what the hell. I'd allow it, or at least I'd allow a specially-made one. What's the harm?

I dunno, it might make melee overpowered. :smallbiggrin:

I dunno about you, but I do know people who fight two-sword, and actually attack with both weapons though. You don't usually see simultaneous attacks like RA Salvatore mentions though. No drawing an X across someones throat with your dual swords.

If the DM complains about using an alp-horn in melee, try looking up the rules for fragile weapons. Generally ones made of bone or glass. They tend to break if you get crits with them.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-04, 03:28 PM
You could use a bayonet add-on from Complete Scoundrel. Those allow you to hurt people with your instrument.

Personally, I'd allow it to be used as a quarterstaff or Greatclub if you spent like +1000gp using magical technobabble to strengthen it without sacrificing musical properties. Otherwise, yeah, it would be improvised and possibly carry the "fragile" property (if it breaks, you suffer a penalty on perform and attack rolls while using it. If it breaks again, it's destroyed).

CyberThread
2013-04-04, 04:30 PM
I am planning on making it "magical" and resist denting and all the other masterwork qualities, while every now and then put the thing down and blow out an inspire competence (on a move silently check) that reaches an entire 10 miles away, in the middle of a cavern , so we can be real stealthy .

Slipperychicken
2013-04-04, 05:47 PM
inspire competence (on a move silently check) that reaches an entire 10 miles away, in the middle of a cavern , so we can be real stealthy .

See if you can swing a rank or two in Perform (Sing), so you can do this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdJg6Duzzf4&t=0m13s).

Get the Fighter-types to contribute a skill rank in Perform (Sing) to the cause. They aren't doing anything better with those skills anyway, might as well be awesome.

Nightgaun7
2013-04-05, 01:32 AM
Just make it out of Adamantine. Problem solved.

Darrin
2013-04-05, 08:08 AM
Just make it out of Adamantine. Problem solved.

Or riverine. Nothing short of disintegrate or disjunction is going to dent that.

(Does adamantine rust?)

An alphorn is 12' to 20' long. I'm not sure that's a greatclub... that's more like a polearm.

Eldan
2013-04-05, 08:18 AM
Well, you'd probably need monkey grip. Maybe large size as well. And pretty good strength, if you want to make it out of metal.

ThreeDSix
2013-04-05, 10:09 AM
I'd like to mention that a little yodelling won't be amiss either.:smalltongue:

On topic, I'd suggest making it out of Darkwood from the DMG - even though it only applies to armours, having it weigh 50% less will help you carry it around.