PDA

View Full Version : Kingmaker : The gaining of the charters

dantiesilva
2013-04-04, 02:34 PM
As you arrive in the city of the sword lords you look back on the journey that has taken you to these lands. It was a long one, filled with many challenges. But the promise of being able to protect those who could not protect themselves and the personal request from your master made it clear. You were ready to spread the word of the Dawnflower.

As you look up into the sky as you pass into the great gates that represent the capital of the kingdom of the swordlords you see the beauty of all the races coming together and creating a world of their own were all could prosper. In the streets children played and all seemed happy. It was as if this place had not a drop of evil inside it. And many claimed it as well. As you make your way to the meeting place deep on the other side of the city that was marked in the letter your master gave you you see shop keepers selling the wares of the day. Fine dwarven smiths called out the prices of their weapons as they held them up for all to see. And the smell of fresh eggs and bacon coming from stalls on your left fill your nose. Could there not be a more peaceful place?

Soon enough you seem to find yourself before the great keep of the swordlords and upon going to the door and presenting your papers you are led into a waiting room. Please wait here Sir Alric Novak, I shall inform our lords that you have come to take on there quest. And with that a small man with a scar above his right eye and dark brown hair runs off.

Prospector
2013-04-04, 05:02 PM
"Thank you kind sir," Alric said to the man as he left. He took a seat, setting his bag next him. He was dressed for the journey, wearing his scale mail and tabard with with the Everlight's symbol emblazoned upon it. He reached into his bag and pulled out his well-loved copy of Sarenrae's teachings. He began to read, slowly, as he waited.

dantiesilva
2013-04-04, 08:31 PM
After what seems like an hour the man who had brought you to the waiting room comes out and bows to you. The sword lords will see you now Sir Alric. He says before gesturing for you to follow him.

As you are led by the small man into the meeting room of the seven sword lords your eyes are assaulted by many sites. Before you at the opposite end of the room stands 7 thrones each unique in there own way holding a man just as unique. Behind them stands a tapestry depicting an ancient battle of what seems to between man and Orc's. To your left you see 5 armed guards each holding a large greatsword in one hand with a heavy steel shield in another. In between them and yourself are tables filled with documents, probably the weekly reports of the city guard and other things of importance. To your left stand another 5 men identical to those opposite them, but these all seem to be elves, unlike the humans who make up the opposite side. All of them are big burly men for there race and in the center of them all stands a woman holding a fine crafted scimitar that looks so sharp that it could cut straight threw a dragons scale.

In the center of the room between yourself and the lords sits a lone chair at a large oaken table and the man who has brought you in indicates for you to take a seat. My lords presenting Sir Alric Novak, defender of the weak and follower of the Dawnflower and all that she teaches. He says before bowing and leaving the room. Closing the large double doors behind him.

As the doors are shut the man in the center of the others looks up from his throne. A large man, close to seven feet tall though not well muscled. Perhaps from age, but it seems this one has great intelligence surrounding him. So Sir Alric you have come to receive a charter from us. Could you tell us why though that you think you are worthy of such a gift from us. what makes you different from anyone else that on this very day could step through those very same doors you did and not do exactly the same or better? He says looking at you with deep piercing blue eyes that seem to look almost through you, into the man you were born and what you could be in the future.

Prospector
2013-04-04, 09:09 PM
Alric bows deeply before the esteemed gentlemen before him. He gives them a wide geniune smile as before he answers them, recalling his long planned response to this expected question. "I am honored to be called before such an esteemed body. As to how I might be an asset to the expedition I have many assets that might help. I am trained well in the art of persuasion so as to prevent as much unneeded violence as possible. As a devout follower of the Everlight I am dedicated to eradicate unrepentant Evil where ever it is and have the martial skills to destroy it. I have spent many years traveling through forests with Master Admus, my mentor, and picked up some basic forestry skills. I am able to keep the enemies at bay while other less melee inclined members of the party are taking offensive actions at a distance. I personally hope to spread the word of the Dawnflower and there by bring peace and prosperity to the these troubled lands."

dantiesilva
2013-04-04, 10:52 PM
As Aliric speaks all those assembled pay close attention to his words. Though no emotions can be gleamed from them one would assume that they could be analyzing what you have said. After a few moments the sword lords turn back to what appears to be there leader, as he is the only one who has spoken thus far and says. And what would happen if you did succeed in taming the Stolen lands? What then would you do? Would you be content with just going back to your simple life, or would you stay to defend the people who have come to call the place home even though there are others there that could do the job? After all you have said that you are persuasive and will erridacte unrepentant evil, but what is it that you would consider unrepentant evil? After all theft is looked at as evil in some lands, while in others it is a minor crime. Anyone can say they wish for forgiveness. Would you let a murder go free then as long as they say they wish to repent for there past deeds? The sword lord asks wondering how you will answer this.

dantiesilva
2013-04-04, 11:12 PM
One by one each of you heroes in your own rights have come to seek an audience with the great swordlords. They have sent out word that they are looking for those brave enough to try and tame the stolen lands. To make them safe once more, and this is what has brought all of you here today to this waiting room where you are all slowly getting called into one at a time. As Each of you are summoned into this grand throne room the swordlords ask you a series of questions to test you. With luck you will be accepted and given a contract to stop the bandits and make the stolen lands safe, without it you will have a long way back to your homes. This is your tale and your future. What shall you do with this gift destiny has offered you is up to you and as you hear your name called you pass threw the large oaken doors which seal shut behind you and without further ado the swordlords begin there questions. Not many, but each one has a key piece to the puzzle hidden inside.

So [insert name here] what is it that separates you from all those outside that very door who are asking for this same exact chance to explore and bring peace to the stolen lands? The man in the center throne asks you before moving onto the next question once you have answered. And what is it that you bring to the table for this quest? Is there any special talents that you have that others do not? Something that would set you above the others? Is the next question to come forth from his lips. Once the next question has done a noble looking man who seems to radiate wisdom stands up and looks to you. If we were to give you these lands to rule with our blessing what in turn would you do with them? he asks you and awaits your answer. And what dare I ask would you consider unrepentant evil? He asks sitting down in his chair. Lastly an elderly man grabbed in simple clothes stands up and looking to you asks What is the most important thing to do as a ruler? And what do you find to be the most important quality in a ruler?

Once these questions have been answered you are dismissed from the room to join the others until all have been inside.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-04, 11:43 PM
What separates me from other applicants, you ask?

Put succinctly, I am not as soft as they are. The process of forging Order from Chaos is not a task that can be completed by kindness alone. No, it often requires force. To succeed, your agents will need someone willing to perform unpleasant duties for the good of the colony. I am willing to do whatever is necessary to spread Order.

What Talents do I bring?

I bring the powers of an inquisitor of a Power of Law. I can fight and call upon magics granted to me by my Lord. I also have some knowledge of matters generally religious and magical. And some training in the art of negotiation.

What would I do with any lands given to me?

First, I'd pacify them. Then I'd establish a colony to keep them pacified. Once that was accomplished, I would begin putting any resources I found to use to enrich the lives of my law-abiding subjects, and to enable trade with other legitimate regimes in the region.

What do I consider unrepentant evil?

I believe that unrepentant evil is exactly what the words say it is: evil that is committed and never repented for. I'd argue that a better question might be 'What is irredeemable evil?' And to that, I'd answer: Evil that is committed without a greater purpose and that serves only to destroy and sow chaos in society.

What is the most important quality in a ruler?

The ability to maintain order, of course! However, this is not simply a matter of being strict or of merciless enforcement of the Law. No, one must make reasonable laws, and must follow them himself. If not, then his subjects will resent his laws and rebel against him. Rebellions only serve to sow chaos, and as such things that lead to rebellions should be avoided. That said, if a rebellion occurs despite all reasonable measures taken to avoid it, the insurrection must be quashed and its instigators brought to justice.

(Also, I claim Teal as my posting color!)

Prospector
2013-04-04, 11:53 PM
Alric took a few minutes to think on the questions presented before him. After arranging his thoughts and feelings, he said, "If the people needed my protection I would gladly give it. For that is my calling, what the Dawnflower asks those with power to protect those without it. A task I am eager to fulfill."

Alric pauses, and his face grows bit more serious and grips the holy text in his hand a little tighter. "As to the question of how to deal with those who commit evil acts, I take to the Everlight's teachings. If the perpetrator claims to repent their actions and wants to redeem themselves they are to have a set of challenges to prove their change of heart based. The challenges would be based on the type of crime. For crime like petty theft, some sort community service might be in order. For more serious crimes like murder, the challenge must be equally as serious. Perhaps years of service to the wronged family. Or they may be forced to bear the Mark of Justice, so to make any lingering impulses of evil will be unpleasant. And if they fail their challenges or shown to be unrepentant they are given a quick clean death. However, this is all secondary to the protection of the innocent. Sometimes evil cannot be given the chance when they are about to take a life."

(I'm calling Dark Orange then)

Whisper rider
2013-04-05, 01:18 AM
What separates me from all those outside? I've been blessed by the celestial creatures themselves my lord... there is a task that must be done, this task bestow upon me, yet to be revealed... must be of great relevance. As a decendant from angels themselves and raised by the Valtyr family, its my duty to bring it to a succesful ending. When i heard your summoning, i realized that this must be it, the path that i've being looking for. You ask me... What separates me from them, that my lord, its something i can not answer as for i haven't met any of those individuals, but i can surely tell you, that my actions are guided by my moral compass which, although good, may not always be in perfect agreement with the rest of society, as i do what it needs to be done.

What talents can i offer?

I've been granted a gift, to be able to reach into the divinity of Desna, channel her divine energy and use it as i see fit, also i've inherited some of my ascendants abilities, that i assure you, non of the others may be able to offer. Besides, my family has a great history as mighty warriors, and i my self can stand by that legacy, as good as Any other member of the valtyr family, even better that any of them on the back of a horse.

If i were to be honored with the right to rule this lands... I would spread and promote my philosophy throughout the land, freedom and independence are as important as life and happiness, freedom its the only mean a creature has to achive true satisfaction and happiness, each individual is capable of achieving self realization and prosperity through himself, herself, or itself.
Its the only way to ensure a succesful kingdom, no creature responds well to the limitation of its freedom, but as nature has show me, neither to the unpunishment. The evil doer, the ones who willingly disrupts the freedom of another creature, must be punished.
As not the entire world follows my train of thought, the main focus of my ruling would be 1- military force 2- economy development 3- agriculture.

What its unrepentant evil?
There is no such thing... There is evil, and we shall avenge the acts of the evil doers, and enemies of freedom.

The most important quality of a ruler... The capacity of desicion making, even without knowing what the outcome would be... There would be endless leaders or rulers that would tell you my kind lord, that they would die for each and every single one of their subdits, but not every one would tell you this my lord... And its my hope, that you wont missunderstant the meaning.. As for i would never betray any on my people. But for the greater good, i would sacrifice any of my subdits, if there is no other way. Would they be able to tell you that? Now thats my question to you sir. Would they be able to sacrifice a friend, if it is what it takes? If there is no other way?...as a i said at the end of my first answer... As i do what it needs to be done.

(darkorchid its mine then)

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-05, 01:31 AM
Theodric entered the chamber with an easy march, his back straight and his eyes forward on the Aldori swordlords. Over his shoulder was a long pole of wood topped with an axe like blade. He was dressed mostly in blues, tough durable fabric looking a little worn, a bit of mail visible under a tabard a bit of mail gave off an occaisonal clink. There was something maybe a bit stiff to his movements, or maybe it was the simple lack of wasted movement.

Coming to a halt in front of the circle Theodric rested the butt of his bardice on the ground, gauntleted hands on top to show he had no intention to actually wield the blade. Not that he thought for a moment he had a chance should that be his intent anyways. He could almost feel the laughter of the bastards in Stetova should that would follow his death should he be fool enough to try to 'prove' himself like that. He had to wonder if such a thought occurred to the circle before him, these were deadly dangerous times after all. If a ruling house could be removed, why not some swords in a city to the south?

Or more likely they simply didn't know who he was. Which was okay, sometimes Theodric didn't know that either. Still these men would not care to hear his moping so he kept his face a stone as he faced the circle, meeting the gaze of each speaker with his own blue stare. He didn't, precisely, want to intimidate them but the task they were commissioning was not one for weakness. Nor was it one for stupidity, and so Theodric paused to consider his answers before speaking.

"To what separates me from the others seeking this charter, well I could not say without knowing them all in turn. I have some skill at arms, I have matched trained soldiers with my weapon, and I find few can match my reach. Yet I am no legendary warrior or such a question would not be nessecary. Though men at arms oft have a reputation for shall we say being not known for their intellect, wit, or grace. I think that terribly unfair a generalization, I have never been in love with knowledge but I have always been studious when I had the chance. You shall have to judge my social graces for yourself."

That was one down, Theodric looked next to the wise man. Given their likely purpose behind such a question they may not like his next answer,

"I have no desire for such a lofty gift. However," now the tricky part, "I am not sure such a thing is in your power to grant. A leader must lead on their own merits or they'd not last long. Any leader worth following though would show gratitude for to those that aided them. I have no such ambitions though, should such a thing be thrust upon me I'd simply follow as my heart dictates to rule fairly and justly, but restraining from stiff dogma."

Hopefully he'd not blown his chances, but was glad to have spoken the truth. The rest were easier.

"Ultimate evil now... well the worst I have experienced personally would be abandonment and refusal of responsibility. A parent that leaves their child, or a ruler that does not protect the land they claim theirs. Put all my statements together an you have what would be an ideal ruler in my eyes."

With that he waited a few moments more in silence, there was one final detail they may not know but should.

"A final point my lords. My name is Theodric Meilin, I took my mother's name. However my father was Dolan Surtova, of the Surtova's. Bastards are common enough but it seems to me one that did well would irk them on the off chance they were aware of it."

WarBrute
2013-04-05, 01:43 AM
Glynn Brenberg (speaks in sienna)

Glynn listens and nods at the man's questions, "Loyalty, my Lord. Some may simply claim strength of arm or strength of mind, but their words are wind where mine are iron." He rests a scared hand on the head of his axe. "This charter a great privilege, and once my name is signed I will live or die by the words upon it."

At the next question Glynn smiles slyly, the scar on the left side of his mouth stretching open. "I am talented in both the blade in the arcane, which when blended makes a devastating brew. I am naturally curious, and my curious will drive me to explore these stolen lands. I am tough, I've been beaten down since my birth, but here I stand taller than ever. I can stand and receive anything the wilds will throw at me."

Glynn nods again slowly thinking as the third question is being asked, "Why... If I was grated such a great task... I would rule... justly. Yes, I would rule justly. The land would need to be made safe for settlement. And once it is safe I will organize a militia to see that it stays safe. For the safety and well being of his citizens should be the greatest concern of a Lord. And crime will have to be dealt with fairly and efficiently."

The speak of evil makes Glynn frown and rub his clean shaven chin thoughtfully. "This is a dark, and complicated topic, my Lord. Unrepeated evil is..." He pauses to think, then nods. "... is the criminal that is unrepentant. A killer that kills for greed and malice shall be judge harshly by the blade or noose, but a killer of passion that repents shall be indentured to serve as a thrall. A thief that does not repent and continues his deeds mocks his Lord and his fellow citizens. He shall lose a hand. But one that repents will serve for a time, perhaps with the militia, and will learn honor from it."

"Constancy. And strength." He forms a fist if his right hand and holds it near his heart. "Those, my Lord, are the most important qualities of a ruler. Inconstancy breeds resentment among the folk. Each man and woman must be judge on the same standards, no matter who they are. Favoritism makes a ruler weak in the eyes of his people. And he must not balk at his duty. No matter his mood or disposition a ruler must be just and see to the execution of his rulings, no matter what they are."

Smileybastard
2013-04-05, 10:22 AM
Elliness bows deeply and then pauses thoughtfully and looks those assembled in the eyes. His calm demeanor speaking volumes.

So Elliness Taussan what is it that separates you from all those outside that very door who are asking for this same exact chance to explore and bring peace to the stolen lands?

Of course that is the question, isn't it my good Sirs. In whom do you place your trust?
This is no small task you ask and no small opportunity that you offer and as such is a important choice.

I will say the group that embarks on this task must combine a number of elements. They must have the skills to deal will all eventuality and no single person will have all those skills. The team must also have most important of all a solid leader.

As a member of this team I would bring a number of skills, but all revolve around people which is of course your greatest challenge and asset. I am good with people. I am good at understanding them, reach out to them and if necessary ensuring they realize that rash and violent thinking is likely not to be in their long term interest. I am also good and bringing disparate people into alignment and that is the key for this whole venture. To bring the various peoples together and form a whole. My other people skill is one I am very good at but will try to use sparingly: combat. I am an excellent fighter, trained in part by my father a solider.

Now key to any team is a leader and the leader here will need to be one that can deal with all the various challenges and keep the group and this fledgling land together. The leader must be abler to relate to everyone and must not be perceived to have strong alignments to any one group or the other groups will dislike it. He must be willing to make hard choices that some are unwilling to make or find distasteful. Few people understand the flexibility a leader must have, especially in forging a new kingdom. he must be able to relate to everyone from farmers to the nobility and I bring that to the table. I am born a distant member of the Orlovsky family and yet I was born and raised as a far more humble member of society.

In either case I would happy to lend my services as the leader, an assistant to the leader or a member of this group. I would love the privilege and honor of returning civilization to these lands and the safety and benefits it brings.

The man in the center throne asks you before moving onto the next question once you have answered. And what is it that you bring to the table for this quest? Is there any special talents that you have that others do not? Something that would set you above the others? Is the next question to come forth from his lips.

I bring the knowledge that there is no single path or skill that will allow one to bring peace to a land and unify a people. I bring a neutral point of view welded with my skill with people and arms. I bring my for-mentioned connection to the rich and the poor and my families reputation for peace and my training as a soldier. I bring the breadth of experience and knowledge as well as the skills of diplomacy, in all its myriad forms. I know how to motivate people in many ways without need of resorting to violence. It there is no option but violence I know many ways there was well.

Once the next question has done a noble looking man who seems to radiate wisdom stands up and looks to you. If we were to give you these lands to rule with our blessing what in turn would you do with them? he asks you and awaits your answer.

If you gave me that honor I would do my very best to unify the peoples in that land into a nation that would stand up strong and true for all who dwell there and be an ally to all good nations. I would seek that all prosper and not just the few who rule. I know what it is like to be poor and while I realize that can not be done away with, I know their plight and will help as I can.

And what dare I ask would you consider unrepentant evil? He asks sitting down in his chair.

Unrepentant Evil? Elliness pauses and thinks for a moment. I have never thought of that before.
It would be that we can not ally with us by diplomacy or manipulation. If we can win their hearts and mind then they a better asset a live than dead. Certainly there are those that can not be won over who will fight against us no matter what. Only when all other options have been exhausted would I consider them that. I have found people are quick to judge and that creates more conflict than anything else.

Lastly an elderly man grabbed in simple clothes stands up and looking to you asks What is the most important thing to do as a ruler? And what do you find to be the most important quality in a ruler?

The most important thing to do as a ruler is to set an example that all can strive for, as my families motto to be "high above" in the sense of an ideal not in status.

With that Elliness rises and bows.

Thank you for the invitation, the chance to speak and hopefully the honor to serve both you and the peoples of that land.

AlanBruce
2013-04-05, 03:45 PM
Gabriel walks solemnly to the courtroom and bows to the nobles present.

"Sword Lords! I am but a simple man. As such, I believe I have learned through my short years that a direct approach to a problem is usually the best course. Virtue tempers my blade and my heart. And it is Virtue, I believe, tempered with Compassion and hopefully, without the need of steel that will bring peace to these lands. Such is my compromise, Lords."

As to the second question, Gabriel addresses the noble.

"What I bring is what you, fine sir. My blade. Then, ether is what cannot be seen. The immutable omniscient sight of my god, the Archpaladin. To pierce the veil of shadow. To smite those who consciously stray off the path. To ward off wickedness. These are my tools by choice and chance."

As to the question regarding what Gabriel would do with the lands were they given to him.

"I said it before. I am simple man. I was once given a patch of farmland to till. It was my own, by legal right. I believed I could grow the best crops in the region. I failed. And I failed because I believed foolishly that I could accomplish it on my own. No, sir. If I were given a land to lord over, I would not do so alone. I would have those with the experience and the tools from which to learn. No one is born all knowing."

As to the last question. Gabriel addresses all in the room.

"Temperance, Wisdom, Compassion. Temperance to not fall under the daily quarrels a kingdom carries. Wisdom to know when to sway your hand or stay it. Compassion to know when to redeem those who believe they can."

Gabriel bows to all present.

"It has been a tremendous honor, Sword Lords. I thank you for the opportunity to be here."

dantiesilva
2013-04-08, 09:53 AM
After much consideration and points being pointed out I have come to a conclusion as we promised on who shall be joining the game. For all of you who did not make it it shall be explained all in the post. Well it will mostly be explained in the post.

After what seems like hours sitting in the waiting room after the last of you have speak to the seven great sword lords you notice that the doors are once more opening. From the doors out steps the small man with the scar over his eye once more, The swords lords have come to a decision now, if you all will follow me. he says kindly bowing to all of you before asking each of you to follow him into the throne room.

As each of you enter the throne room he begins stating your names to all that are inside. Roderick Creary my lords. He says as the huntsman enters. Glynn Brenberg. Is the next name to be called out to enter the throne room. Gazardiel Valtyr. As this name is called much mummering is heard. Dolgrin Clangbeard is the next to be called and seems to be the shortest one there in his inquisitor attire. Ellieniss Taussan. says the man and the elves turn and salute him as he steps in. And lastly Theodric Meilin your graces. the man says as the last of you step in. Then as he is about to shut the door he notices the late arrival and turns back to the lords. I am sorry my lords I have forgotten one of the guests, introducing Gabriel. he says as the proud male steps into the hall.

Once all are assembled and seated The swordlord who has addressed you since the beginning stands up from his thrown in the center and loos to all of you. First I must thank each of you for coming here. We have heard each of your tales, and I must say I am surprised at how many have come to tame the Stolen lands. But as most things we only have so many charters to hand out, and as such we had to ask each of you a certain amount of questions to determine who we decided to give them to. He says looking over to the others. Some of you were easy to pick while others made it very difficult and could have gone either way. And so without wasting anymore time let us go on with the proceedings. Lord Loss shall you take it from here? he asks looking to the man in the very last seat in the on his right hand side.

Why thank you Michale. Lord loss says bowing to him before turning to each of you. Now as Lord Michale has stated some of you were easier then others to shall we say herd away from the others. And with that in mind I would like to begin. He says as he gets up. Sir Aliric, we had expected much more from a paladin recommended by your master, but as you can see here all have boasted feats of strength, unlike you however they have also stated they had more to give to the group I am sorry to say you are not accepted. He says turning to the next person. Gazardiel Valtyr I think a fellow Assimar may want to take it from here. Lord Loss says turning to a figure who has up till now been cloaked in a golden hood. As she removes the hood she stands up and it is clear to see that she is born from a celestial parent. Gazardiel Valtyr were should I begin...Willing to sacrifice your people for others, and saying that our noble parents do the same. I am beginning to wounder if you are not a tiefling and smite you down here. Though your skills that you presented would have been most handy I can not sanction in good faith a mad man the ability to freely sacrifice people to keep himself safe. A true leader would do anything for his people and place himself in harms way for his or her people. Not send their men to be slaughtered. Because of this you have been denied. Please leave these halls. She says covering her face back up with her golden hood, though it still can not hide her glowing blue eyes.

When the others two have left the room the sword lords look at those remaining. As they look on the elderly man steps up in his simple clothing and begins to speak. Each of you who remain have been chosen for the skills you have brought to the table as well as for how well you have answered our questions. Before we send you off and hand you these charters would you like to ask of us anything?

Smileybastard
2013-04-08, 10:03 AM
Ellieniss

Ellieniss bows.
Thank you my lords for this honor and opportunity.
I really do not have specific questions so much as much as a request for clarity in terms of requirements, support and organization. But I am sure that will be forthcoming.

WarBrute
2013-04-08, 11:49 AM
Glynn Brenberg

Glynn smiles and stands taller, proud to receive such an honor. At the cue of Elieniss he bows as well. "You have my word, my lords. These stolen lands will be settled in your honor and for all the people of Brevoy."

Chilingsworth
2013-04-08, 02:27 PM
Dolgrin Clangbeard

Thank you, my Lords. *bows*

As for questions, I'd like to know as much as possible about any opposition we're likely to face. Though, as with Ellieniss' queries, I imagine that information will be forthcoming.

AlanBruce
2013-04-09, 02:36 AM
Gabriel bows.

"I am ever grateful, Sword Lords. I will make sure I can stand up to the corruption that taints the Stolen Lands. I am also thankful for having three champions at my side."

Gabriel bows to Dolgrin, Ellienis, and Glynn.

"A pleasure and an honor. I am ready whenever you are."

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-09, 02:55 PM
Theo

Theodric assumed the same pose he had earlier and met the Swordlord approval with a slow bow of the head but remained silent for the moment. Others had asked the obvious questions and any others escaped him for the moment. He found himself wondering about the final criteria for each applicant. The Swordlords had spoken nobly and with high principle, but then so did the Surtova's when it suited them. It was a cynical observation, but he couldn't escape it either.

Well no matter if their reasons were less noble then their words what matter of it too him, he could just as cynically accept for his own ends. Though he wasn't entirely sure what those were. He wondered more then a little if these Aldori knew entirely what they were doing, an arrow loosed could not be called back to the bow afterall.

He gave his companions a look, most seemed to looked to be at least modestly equipped and carried themselves like they knew what they were doing, but only time could truly tell he supposed.

dantiesilva
2013-04-09, 10:47 PM
As four of the five companions begin to ask about what they should e facing in the stolen lands and what is it they are likely to encounter the swordlords look back and forth between each other, as if having a mental conversation before once again turning to the heroes. Most of what you need to know is on the charters, as to specifics we are not entirely sure ourselves. If we had been we would not be sending in adventures like yourselves to find out and giving each of you such a grand opportunity to make names for yourselves. As for assistance we can safely say that you will have two allies in the stolen lands. Oleg Leveton and his wife Svetlana have made a place for themselves out there and have been sending requests for our aid. Were each of you come in. We are also getting a small patrol ready but they will not be ready as soon as the five of you. The man in the center says to you all as he takes out five charters and begins walking down to the table that is in the center of the room. As he walks down from the thrones you can see that underneath his cloak that is as blue as the night sky is a sword that though not as large as a fighters sword, is not short enough to be considered a short sword. Along with this odd sword though he seems to be wearing no visible armor unlike all the others except the old man in simple clothes, yet as he walks he shows no fear of being harmed. As if no mortal could harm him, and his piercing blue eyes only add to the sense as they seem to see past the exterior of anything they set there eyes onto into the person below.

Knowledge Nobility and royalty DC10 or Appraise check DC10 tells you that the sword he carries is a scholars blade.

Once he gets to the table he hands each of you a scroll case that bears the royal seal of not only the sword lords but also of Lord Noleski Surtova, the current Regent of the dragonscale throne. Inside the scroll case you see a piece of parchment that reads,

"Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged
by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and
authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the
Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel
within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration
should be limited to an area no further than thirty-six miles east and
west and sixty miles south of Oleg’s Trading Post. The carrier of
this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful
behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry
remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So witnessed on this
24th day of Calistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov
and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of
the Dragonscale Throne."

Once he sees that each of you have read the scroll held inside he begins walking back to his throne were he then turns and sits down allowing Lord Loss to speak to each of you. Each of you have a horse awaiting you inside the royal stables to aid you in your adventures. If you already have a noble steed that is perfectly alright. Each of these horse though not trained in combat are good enough to carry riders and there gear. Now is there anything else before you all leave for the stolen lands? Oleg's trading post is waiting after all. Lord Loss says to you from his vantage point at the thrones.

Smileybastard
2013-04-09, 10:54 PM
Ellieniss

Ellieniss Bows. Thank you my lord. There is nothing else other than whatever maps you may have of the greenbelt. Other than that I am ready to depart.

Ellieniss turns to look at the others. My friends?

AlanBruce
2013-04-09, 11:04 PM
Gabriel reads the scroll and nods in agreement. Then, he bows to the lors assembled.

"And so it shall be done, Sword Lords."

Gabriel then turns to look at his company. A well prepared lot. Hopefully, they would be able to teach him a thing or two along the way. Even more so, there would be little to no opposition while exploring the lands yonder.

"Gentlemen. I am ready when you are."

WarBrute
2013-04-10, 12:11 AM
Glynn Brenberg

Glynn's scar twitches forming a small lopsided smile "Yes, friends." He says to to Ellieness. It was a word he was not use to, but perhaps it will grow on him. "I, for one, am ready to see this wild."

Chilingsworth
2013-04-10, 12:19 AM
Dolgrin

I thank you, Lords.

*bows*

Indeed, let's be off.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-10, 01:00 PM
Theo

Theodric slung his blade up onto his shoulders, a clear sign he was ready to leave. He indeed already had his own steed and glad of it for Merry was trained for combat though Theo was only a middling rider and preferred to be on his fee, but another horse would be useful.

"My lords I indeed have another horse, might I prevail upon you through your servants as we are depating to see the spare loaded with a pack saddle and as much food and water as it can bear and keep up a quick pace?" He asked. Though he supposed the group could handle that themselves if it came down to it, it would be coin spared this way.

dantiesilva
2013-04-10, 02:23 PM
As Each one of you say that you are ready to depart the swordlords look down with pride on there faces. It seems we have chosen wisely. He says to the others before turning back to the group. Sir Theo was it not? he asks looking at you, Our resources on this matter are very limited and the spare horse could be used to help send reinforcements sooner so no we can not allow you to take it. I am truly sorry. Now please hurry, it is a long journey to Oleg's and time is always of the essence. The man says dismissing all of you from the throne room. As you leave the throne room of the sword lords you are led down to the stables were 6 strong looking horses await for you, unlike a Clydesdale though these horse are made for speed and their build shows it.

So you must be the heroes the sword lords have chosen then now. Well as you see we have 6 beauties here. Raised each and every one of em by myself. With all this urgency thou, ain't had time to train them in even the simplest forms of combat. They should serve you well though. The man then looks to you Theo and seeing your horse looks to you and pulling out an apple says May I kind sir, ain't seen many of her bred before. Wered you buy her? he asks allowing the others to choose there steeds for themselves.

You are allowed to choose the color and gender of your horses.

Once each of you are done the stable keeper looks to all of you. Good luck out there, many have gone in and not any have come out thus far. The sword lords are sending in 3 other groups from what I hear to go and explore other parts of the stolen lands and reclaim them. Well best be off now aye. he says saying farewell to each of his horses that you have chosen to be your own.

Smileybastard
2013-04-10, 02:34 PM
Ellieniss

Ellieniss bows and leaves the chamber on his way to the stables. He selects a calm Blue Roan mare.
A beautiful horse, I shall treat her well.

WarBrute
2013-04-10, 03:47 PM
Glynn

Glynn grimaces at the sight of the horses. "Right, horses" he mutters under his breath. He chooses a dapple grey mare and clumsily pulls himself into the saddle.

He looks at the stable master, "Three other groups? Ha! We'll have the whole land settled before they ever chance along our borders!" The confidence of this statement is slightly ruined by Glynn left foot struggling to find its stirrup.

Smileybastard
2013-04-10, 04:01 PM
Ellieness

Ellieniss climbs into his saddle with no more ease than Glynn and beams a smile at him. You are not the only one ill experienced with horses my friend, but I am sure we will learn.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-11, 10:54 AM
Theo

"As you will my lords," Theodric said to the Swordlords with a final bow of acknowledgement. He didn't particularly care for their reasoning, how could an entire city not spare a horse? Showed how important this truly was to them for all their rhetoric. Well it wasn't as if they had to do anything, let them be miserly if it suited them.

As they group moved to the stables Theodric relaxed visibly. He did not care for lords of any stripe. Well he supposed the Swordlords had been better then most he'd had the unfortunate chance to view in New Stetven. Not interact with, that would have been beneath most of them. Few even noticed servants like lowly blacksmith apprentices that made their lives work. Well that was neither here nor there speaking truly.

Arriving in the stables Theodric went immediately to see to Merry. The russet mare had a white patch on her chest, but it was her demeanor that marked her out. A touch of tension and aggresion read in her pose. Of course Merry was a trained warhorse not merely a riding steed. And he was very lucky to have her.

"Merry here is from New Stetven, just as I am my goodman. I was able to snap her up from a friend that raises horses." Theodric said to the stable master. He did not add Merry had come from the castellan of the city's own stables. Fairly bought from his own stablemaster but intended for some soldier or lordling who doubtless would have renamed the steed. But only sold because it was not that far between forge and stable and Theodric had needed to get out of the capital rather quickly.

The comment on other groups drew no comment from Theo. He wondered again though just what the leaders of Restov were up to. Making his mount ready and stowing his gear Theodric turned to his own companions. Well he didn't think much of his own riding, but clearly he had leg up on at least some of this party.

"Hmm, it looks like it would be better to see trouble coming. A fight is no place to be on a horse if both you and your mount aren't ready for it. Best to avoid trouble entirely if possible, do any of you feel you can make a reasonable scout. I can ride and look after myself but am no true woodsman."

Smileybastard
2013-04-11, 11:10 AM
Ellieniss

Ellieniss nods.

I agree we should be wary and a scout would be ideal, but it is not where my talents lay or a least not while mounted.
If not we just stick together and keep ours eyes open.

WarBrute
2013-04-11, 11:25 AM
Glynn

To Ellieniss Glynn says with a grin, "We will all be expert horseman within the week, I am sure." He finally fits his foot into the stirrup "Right. Here we go."

At the mention of New Steven Glynn looks over to Theo and says, " Ah, a fellow New Stetvenian? I hail from there as well. Leaving the beautiful ports left me with a heavy heart. I hope the the stolen lands can match the beauty of a brisk morning on the shores of Lake Reykal."

dantiesilva
2013-04-11, 11:41 AM
As you tell the story of how you came to own Merry the stable master seems most impressed. I understand that New Stetven is suppose to have some of the finest horses they say. Well besides those here that is. If I had been given a few more weeks they would have been battle ready they would have. But with the rush I had to make sure they were able to carry riders as they all are fairly young. he says to Theodric before looking to Ellieniss and Glynn. Its a easy enough thing to learn, riding is. Just make sure to hold on tight, they were born from some of the fastest horses in the land they be and it may be very easy to fall off when they take into a full run. He says helping anyone who needs help into their saddles.

Now that you have had enough time to see the man and study him you can see that he is high up there in age, at least in his forties, his once brown hair turning grey. Even though he is old though you can see the years of working in the stable have kept him in slightly above average health and strength. Most importantly you notice that the stables all seem to have a fresh bale of hay in them and the smell one would expect from a normal stable seems to not even exist here.

DC15 spot checks please

Smileybastard
2013-04-11, 11:44 AM
Ellieness

Perception [roll0]

WarBrute
2013-04-11, 11:56 AM
Glynn

Perception- [roll0]

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-11, 07:43 PM
Theo

Perception: [roll0]

AlanBruce
2013-04-11, 08:44 PM
Gabriel walks by the horses, studying each.

"I had one back home, in the farm. Mathilda was her name. We used her to haul the wagon with goods once the tilling was done. Sadly, I never was that good a rider..."

Gabriel walks up to a black one with a white spot on the left side of her face.

"Do you mind if I take this one? Mathilda II, shall be your name..."

HGabriel looks at the stable keep.

"Unless she already has a name?"

Spot [roll0]

dantiesilva
2013-04-11, 09:04 PM
@Alan And smiley From the corner of your eyes you seem to notice pales of water moving on their own to refill the horses supply as well as a small boy sitting in the opposite corner as if in deep concentration.

As Gabriel walks up to the black horse with a white spot on the left side of her face the stable master turns to you. Aye she has a name, but she is no longer my horse now is she. Matilda is much more original any ways. he says to you watching Matilda go to you. Please take good care of her. Her parents were very dear to me, and I would hate to see anything happen to any of my horses, but especially her. She was bred from some of the finest stallions I had the privilege of catching. he says going over and patting her for the last time.

Smileybastard
2013-04-11, 09:09 PM
Ellieness

Ellieness smiles at the boy and turns to the stable master.
Interesting stable boy you have. Not a lot like him.

AlanBruce
2013-04-11, 09:11 PM
Gabriel pats Mathilda on her mane and looks at the stable keep.

"She will be looked after, sir. You have my word."

After seeing the boy sitting in apparent concentration and the pails of water helping themselves, Gabriel walks up to the stablekeep.

"Excuse me, sir. Is he your son? And why are those pails moving on their own accord?"

Chilingsworth
2013-04-11, 10:27 PM
Dolgrin

Perception Check:
[roll0]

Looking over the fine horses presented to him, Dolgrin choses a large, strong brown mare.

I shall name you Mandate. May I see bringers of disorder better from the vantage you afford me.

He then, very clumsily mounts up, hindered by his breastplate.

If you lads want to purchase some extra supplies before we head out, I have about ten gold crowns I can contribute to a general fund.

(Also, what gear and supplies do the horses come with? A saddle, bit, and bridle at the least, right? What about saddlebags and some fodder or at least treats?)

Smileybastard
2013-04-11, 10:45 PM
Ellieness

I have a weeks worth of rations for myself. Clearly we need to be self sustaining in the long run.
I have some gold as well.

dantiesilva
2013-04-11, 10:49 PM
@Chillingsworth You see the same as the others. As for what the horse come with ridding saddle, Saddlebags for your equipment, and enough food for a two day travel for the horses only, unless of course you enjoy horse food but we are not at the food part yet. Anything needed for the horse that is simple and easy will be provided look at it that way. If you wanted say a better saddle though you would have to buy one.

As Ellienes, Gabriel, and Dolgrin notice the stable hand the stable master turns to look at him as notice is brought to him. Ah yes, William, he is studying under a kind wizard who allows him to come home on the weekends to help out his old man. Lucky for me he has learned a few things that make life a little easier. Still enjoy doing most of it by hand though. After all that magic stuff can not do as good of a job as a persons hands. It has no intelligence of its own and thus it can not learn unless the person using it has done the job all his life. I let him use some of his tricks like the one you see him doing now as the well is quite a ways away is all. the stable master says. Well do any off you need anything else? If not best be off. After all I only can give you enough food for the horses for the next two days, should be enough to get you all to Oleg's though. he says going and grabbing a few large bags of oats and throwing them into the saddle bags. Tell Oleg when you arrive that he still owes old Jasper for the bet he lost. He will know what you are talking about. The man says laughing to himself not caring to fill you in on the joke.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-11, 11:20 PM
Theo

Thank you for the feed good stablemaster Theodric said to the man seeing it stowed.

Theo missed the boy the others spoke of. He heard them speak well enough but was busy getting into the saddle and passed it by as unimportant for the moment. The other comments were more pertinent.

"I myself have little more then a handful of coins to my name at the moment and supplies for myself to a point, I support the suggestion of pooling gold to buy supplies. One can never carry enough rations at the least." He said to that idea, though if it came down to it he could survive on his own, he didn't know that any of the others could do the same. It looked as though none knew how to ride well enough either. Which made him the only scout they could put out. They should discuss each others skills at the soonest opportunity, there must be reasons for their selection.

WarBrute
2013-04-11, 11:57 PM
Glynn

When Jasper mentions the his dued money from Oleg Glynn smirks and thinks I guess I'm still a debt collector.

At the mention of the William Glynn strains his neck trying to get a glisps of the boy, "Ah, very much like me as a child. Those are good lessons to teach him Jasper. The body must not be forgotten for the sake of the mind." He taps his own temple, "They must be trained together"

He rides to over to join the group to discuss funds, "I have 15 pieces to add to our little treasury. I walked from New Stetven to here, so I traveled light and I hear there aren't any inns in the Stolen Lands. Perhaps we could use some comforts. Tents? Bedrolls? I'm sure our new friends can handle a few extra pounds."

Chilingsworth
2013-04-11, 11:57 PM
Dolgrin

*nods agreement to Theo's thanks*

Indeed good sir, the feed will be of great help.

I agree with you, Theo that extra food is always good to have on hand.
We needn't concern ourselves with water, though. I can provide that in abundance... though we might want to consider containers.

Indeed Glynn. To be precise, I have 9 gold crowns, 19 silver sovereigns, and 19 copper pence to contribute to our cause.

dantiesilva
2013-04-14, 12:27 AM
Saying as no one else has said anything I am moving this along.

As you all leave the stables, bidding the stable master a good day and thanking him for the feed and horses you begin walking towards the market district. Your last stop before the open roads to the stolen lands to the south.

As each of you rides your horses down the crowded streets of the city of the swordlords people part and let you pass on your way. As you ride you pass by armor smiths as well as blacksmiths at their trade, working on anvils. And though most of them are human, you do see a few dwarves who seem to be taking a lot more pride in their work.

Past these booths are simple stores that sell everyday goods and in the background you can hear vendors calling out their wares for passing customers. Finest ale in all the land, straight from the dwarven lands. One calls out, while another Step right up and buy your self a game to keep that mind working, don't be shy. After all we are all intelligent creatures now. At another both sits a gnome who seems to be tinkering with some bits of metal, above the shop it reads "Milos gun shop" and a picture of what looks like a large barrel with fire coming out of it is shown.

Other places of interest are a small alchemist shop directly in the center of the market place.

Smileybastard
2013-04-14, 07:17 AM
Ellieness

Ellieness sits tall in his saddle smiling as they ride through town, making some effort to look less comfortable that he is in the saddle.

Riding 1d20+3
Bluff 1d20+4

He looks for a place to buy some more rations as they ride through town.

If he sees a vendor selling rations he will buy 40 days worth

WarBrute
2013-04-14, 01:01 PM
Glynn Brenberg

Glynn smiles amiably as the group rides through the city. As Ellieness shops around for rations Glynn turns his attention towards the man speaking of a game. He rides over to his booth and says, "A game for the mind?" looking down from his horse curiously. "What game is this?"

Chilingsworth
2013-04-14, 10:42 PM
Dolgrin

(Has no further business in town, ready to leave when everyone else is. Or if we encounter something that catches my eye before we leave, of course.)

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-15, 12:36 AM
Theo

Riding through the city Theodric positioned himself at the head of the little column giving the the wares of the city a casual glance. The smithies caught his eye, if this didn't work out and he could make it back to Restov perhaps he'd avail them of his own abilities. For the moment though he knew he had all the gear he could afford for now. He could afford some other things though.

Keeping an eye on the party with regularity Theodric noticed Ellieness making a purchase and offered him a handful of coin. He had meant what he said about believing in never being well supplied and sharing the burden.

@Smileybastard: 5 or 10 gold your choice.

AlanBruce
2013-04-15, 12:54 AM
As Gabriel gets on his horse, he looks at the Stable Keep.

"I will do my best to return and pay for these oats, kind sir. And I will make sure Sir Jasper is aware of your message."

As Gabriel rides with Mathilda down the street, he does his best to keep up with the rest. Surely they have ridden a horse before. Gabriel had. Once. It was also the first time he flew without wings or magic of any nature.

He only hope Mathilda was not ready to give him a flying lesson.

Gabriel rides close to his comrades and bows to them before looking at the ground, remembering then to keep his eyes forward, lest the horse went out of control.

"I must apologize in advance. My coin was spent in what you can clearly see. I don't want to be a hassle, of course. Dolgrin, you mentioned you can make water? I will try and hunt something along the way. Again, I am sorry for not having enough financial resources."

As Gabriel rides along, he notices the various shops.

I could always use hardier armor... oh, well. In time. Who knows.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-15, 01:41 AM
Dolgrin

Indeed, I can make as much water as we'll ever need, at least for our own consumption and hygiene, as could anyone who can cast that particular orison. Glad to hear one of us can hunt, though. Rations are well and good, but men need meat to do real work and stay clear of mind.

Smileybastard
2013-04-15, 07:54 AM
Ellieness

When Theodric offers him money he smiles.
It's okay my friend, we will have need of other things and then, I am sure you will step up.

dantiesilva
2013-04-15, 12:35 PM
@Ellieness

As you are passing by a few shops you notice a place that is selling survival gear as well as trail rations. breaking of from the group you head over to the shop and kindly ask the man to get you 40 days of trail rations pulling out the coin. Awful lot of rations, your buying. Hope they are worth it. he says handing you over what you have asked for while he pockets the 20 gold crowns you have paid him with.

@ Glynn Brenberg

As you hear a man calling out about games of the mind you look around to see where the voice is coming from. In a very colorful booth stands a middle aged man calling out his wares as two people are sitting down at a table playing with a board that has some oddly shaped pieces on it. Well why this game would be chess of course. Have you not heard of it? Tests your mind it dose, as well as that of the person you are playing against. Object of the game is to get your opponents king. Now I'm sure you are thinking that sounds easy and like a more boring version of wizards chess but let me tell you it is a very different game entirely. He says to you as the two men go about playing a game at the table.

@ Gabriel

As you thank the stable master he wazes his hand as if it were no problem. Sword lords be paying me no need for you to as well. he says to you before you leave as well.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-04-16, 01:21 AM
Theo

"Well I'll not insist, but remind me to buy you a drink some time," Theodric says with a laugh stowing his coin. That dealt with he was ready to set out for real this time.

Smileybastard
2013-04-16, 06:31 AM
Ellieness

Ellieness smiles in reply. A deal.

WarBrute
2013-04-16, 08:28 PM
Glynn

Glynn raises his eyebrows and interest. "I may not have time for a game today. I am on my way south and I don't think my companions would appreciate the delay just so I could have a little fun." He glances around his shoulders, "Though, I think I can at least indulge myself as a spectator..." He looks over at the two gentlemen setting up their game.

OOC:

Glynn will remain by the chess table until the others come and drag him away from the game.

dantiesilva
2013-04-16, 08:55 PM
@Glynn

As you inform the shopkeeper that you are heading south and will not have time to play he tisks. And here I thought I would have a challenger for my bet. You do know about my bet right? he asks seeing the interest in your eyes and working with it. You see I have a simple wager with all my customers, beat me in a game and you get the set for free. I could sell you one for full price though if you enjoy the game. Just get back to me. He says walking away for you to watch the match.

WarBrute
2013-04-17, 06:04 PM
Glynn

Glynn smiles his lopsided smile and dismounts his nameless horse. "You, sir, know how to make a man interested." He says brushing himself off, still smiling. "Show me to the table and explain your terms, and be quick about it, before my companions become weary of waiting for me."

dantiesilva
2013-04-17, 08:45 PM
@Glynn

As you dismount the man smiles as he turns around hearing you coming. You are to kind sir, I merely know how to get through to those of intelligence that enjoy a match of wits. He says returning your smile with one of his own. Now right this way, and I promise this should not take long, a mere 10 rounds and the person with the most points wins. he then explains the rules along the way to the table before sitting down. As you are the guest you may make the first move. Make it count. he says kindly.

AlanBruce
2013-04-17, 11:42 PM
Gabriel rides with Mathilda down the street, looking up at the sky.

Archpaladin, guide our resolve through the lawless and wicked southern path. Please steel my resolve and clear my mind during this journey.

He looks at Dolgrin.

"Thank you, Dolgrin. I once knew a cleric of Pelor who had such spells. Orisons, yes! That's what he referred to them as. In that case, water should not be a problem. Hopefully, game will be plentiful on our way there."

Gabriel then addresses all those riding.

"Gentlemen, unless we have other business here, shall we move on? The Southern lands could sure use our help. Where is Glynn?"

Chilingsworth
2013-04-17, 11:52 PM
I... believe he's stuck in a wager for a chess set.

It might be useful for us to have some entertainment on hand, I suppose.

AlanBruce
2013-04-17, 11:57 PM
Gabriel listens to Dolgrin and nods. This would be a long trek, no doubt. And if bandits and who else knew were prowling the road, it would make this a perilous journey.

"You are right, Dolgrin. I see your point and perhaps we could carve one of those chess sets on our way there. I haven't played that game, but would love to learn. And I believe we'll have the time to do."

Smileybastard
2013-04-18, 12:40 AM
Ellieness

It seems if we can't handle a few bandits we have no chance in taming this land.

dantiesilva
2013-04-18, 01:49 AM
@Glynn
http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29212

As everyone finishes up their individual shopping and are all ready to leave you begin to wounder were Glynn ran off to when Dolgrin informs them that last he saw Glynn he was playing a game of chess for a friendly wager. And with no were else to go until your friend is done you all chose to go see the game.

You can all look in the spoiler above, it shall be the chess game between myself and Glynn

Chilingsworth
2013-04-18, 01:54 AM
*Dolgrin looks appreciatively at the set's craftsmanship.*

OOC:
That's a web based battle mat?
That would handy for other games I'm in.
Could you provide a link to the base site (I assume the link is for a specific map, so offering it to other dms wouldn't help.)

AlanBruce
2013-04-18, 01:58 AM
Gabriel dismounts and stands at a fair distance. He has heard these games require much concentration and would not want Glynn to lose this match.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-18, 02:13 AM
Dolgrin does likewise.

(would have thought we'd have to dismount to get close enough to watch properly. *shrug*)

WarBrute
2013-04-18, 12:04 PM
Glynn

"Well then let the carnage begin." Glynn says lightly reaching for a pawn. He moves it forward with confidence.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29254

dantiesilva
2013-04-18, 10:25 PM
@Glyn As you make the first move of the game you watch as the games master almost smiles as he dose a move almost identical to your own.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29308

WarBrute
2013-04-18, 11:31 PM
Glynn

Glynn rubs his chin thinking the moves his king side knight forward.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29309

dantiesilva
2013-04-19, 12:42 AM
As your opponent watch you move your piece he also moves his horse, though to behind his pawn instead of out in the open.

That was turn 2, 8 more to go.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29312

WarBrute
2013-04-19, 01:08 AM
Glynn

Glynn frowns and advances another pawn forward across the board.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29313

dantiesilva
2013-04-19, 06:24 AM
After 3 turns it seems the two of you have finally come to a different view on moves. Only 6 more turns left, and not a single piece gone yet, are you sure you are going to win this? he asks with a smile.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29337

WarBrute
2013-04-19, 10:06 AM
Glynn

Glynn raises an eyebrow, but does not look up at his opponent. Instead he slides his rook forward.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29349

dantiesilva
2013-04-19, 10:30 AM
As before he mirrors the move he had just done, all his focus now on the bored.

Round 5 http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29352

WarBrute
2013-04-19, 11:13 AM
Glynn

Glynn's rook continues its movement across the board.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29355

dantiesilva
2013-04-19, 11:38 AM
Once again a pawn is seen moving

4 turns left http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29357

Running short on time my friend. Be careful now. the man says to you as he finishes his move.

WarBrute
2013-04-19, 11:57 AM
Glynn

Glynn thoughtfully taps his lips, before attacking with his pawn.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29358

I'm not sure how to remove tokens

dantiesilva
2013-04-19, 12:03 PM
Don't worry I know how to do that.

As you make the first offensive move you watch as your move gets countered with little ease, as if he had been expecting the move since the beginning.

3 turns left Score Glynn 1 Merchant 1
http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29359

WarBrute
2013-04-20, 02:07 PM
Glynn

Glynn nods and says with a crooked smile "The board has been blessed with blood. Now the game truly begins." He advances a pawn.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29487

dantiesilva
2013-04-20, 10:24 PM
In response to your pawn the merchant moves his Queen forward onto the battle field.

2 turns left http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29505

WarBrute
2013-04-20, 11:10 PM
Glynn

Glynn frowns and grunts at the enemy Queen's movement, then aggressively moves his pawn forward.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29506

dantiesilva
2013-04-20, 11:16 PM
Having forseen your course of action the game salesmen smiles as he brings his queen across the board and takes another one of your pawns. I do believe that is 2 for me dear boy. and with so few rounds left. he says with a smile.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29507 1 turn left 2 game store 1 you

WarBrute
2013-04-21, 08:44 PM
Glynn

Glynn clenches his fist. It was a stupid move. And there was no way to recover in one move. "You have me, sir." He says with a sigh, moving his knight.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=29601

dantiesilva
2013-04-21, 09:33 PM
As the gamesman on the opposite side of the table takes your pawn he looks to you a friendly smile on his face. You put up a good fight, but I fear you lost. 2 gold crowns and the set is yours. he says to you kindly bowing.

WarBrute
2013-04-21, 10:12 PM
Glynn

Glynn smiles and stands, "Every failure is a lesson. I will need to temper my aggression in the future." He glances awhile from the board and is surprised to see his companions watching. "Ah. I see you are already to go. Is Ellieness around? I would like to make a withdrawal from our grand Treasury."

Smileybastard
2013-04-22, 05:13 AM
Ellieness

Reluctantly Ellieness flips the man two gold coins.

dantiesilva
2013-04-22, 09:00 AM
As the game master sees the two coins come flying towards him from the air he bows before catching them behind his back. A pleasure doing business with all of you kind sirs. He says turning around and picking up the chess set Glynn and himself had been playing on. Underneath you can see is lined with velvet and has indents that he seems to be putting all the pieces into. Once all pieces are put away he folds it in half and claps it close with a golden clasps. Good thing you bought the cheaper version sirs, as the more expensive one may not have been able to make a long journey. Until next time. He says as he hands the, now box looking, chess set to the group before heading back up to his booth going once more to calling out his wares.

After having spent enough time inside the city you all find yourselves ready for the open road and begin your journey to Oleg's, leaving the comforts of the city behind you for that of the wilderness.

WarBrute
2013-04-22, 02:47 PM
Glynn

"I will treasure it, sir." Glynn says, carefully packing the chess set into his pack. He mounts his horse and waves his goodbye.

Along the road Glynn rides smiling, obviously excited about the journey. "I wonder who this Oleg man is." He says thoughtfully to the group. "I wonder what brought him to live and work on the edge of Brevoy."

Chilingsworth
2013-04-22, 04:41 PM
Could be an adventurous spirit, or a man that likes his privacy, I'd guess.

dantiesilva
2013-05-01, 09:31 PM
1 Day later

After watching the chess match between Glynn and the game keeper you all had made haste trying to make it to Oleg's in record time. So far there has been no trouble, but you have also been on a well traveled road of the kings. Soon you would be entering the edges of the stolen lands, and what awaited you there in the deep forest only those within knew of.

You all awake the next morning just before sunrise, you still have at least a two days travel to Oleg's, and that is without running into any trouble. The world of men is far behind you now as you journey threw the country side, and the sun is shining as if the gods were blessing your quest. Ample amounts of animals can be seen scurrying around from time to time, most would make a good meal to if only caught.

Chilingsworth
2013-05-01, 09:36 PM
On seeing the animals, Dolgrin licks his lips.

Hey, Gabriel, care to do some hunting when we make camp?

WarBrute
2013-05-01, 10:46 PM
Glynn

Glynn smiles his lopsided smile as he saddles his mare, which he had named The King's Gambit the night before. He had already began to grown fond of the muscular beast despite himself.

He pulls himself into his saddle and looks to Dolgrin, "Hunting? A warm meal would be preferable to those rations."

Soras Teva Gee
2013-05-02, 04:43 PM
Theo

"Unless any of you can hunt on the ride we can't afford the time," Theodric declared solemnly, "We made good time, despite diversions, but there's still a long way to go. That's why you carry supplies even in good country. And a good meal and ale at Oleg's will taste better then any game roasted on a stick."

Upon rising Theo had seen to the all the horses feed and water before seeing to his own breakfast. As he spoke he busied himself securing any loose gear about camp, distributing all the gear not carried on the party's persons evenly among the horses while getting them saddled for the day. He still could not believe the people the swordlords has selected had stopped for a chess match, and had not been shy in his opinions yesterday. He'd never had the best control of his temper, but had barely kept it in reign. Certainly he'd not support any further delays on the journey.

Smileybastard
2013-05-02, 04:57 PM
Ellieness

Theo is correct. We need to keep up our pace and get to the task at hand. Now if game presents itself then we will take the opportunity.

Ellieness hefts his bow.

AlanBruce
2013-05-02, 11:20 PM
Gabriel smiles as he looks at the sun above. Certainly, the gods had blessed this journey to Oleg's, so far.

Hopefully, his blade would not have to stain this lovely land should someone decide to get troublesome along the road.

That's when Dolgrin suggests a quick hunt. Mounted, no less.

Gabriel turns to his companion and smiles coyly.

"Oh...ahh. Sure! I guess I could, yes. Thing is, well... I have no bow, for now. I can try and sneak behind one, if you help me."

Chilingsworth
2013-05-02, 11:28 PM
Dolgrin

I can try. I'm not able to fight from horseback, though.
But, Theo and Ellieness are right. Unless some game presents itself, we don't have the time.

WarBrute
2013-05-03, 12:57 AM
Glynn

Glynn's smile dies a bit at Theo's attitude. He straightens himself in his saddle and looks out along the road. While Theo's mood may have hampered Glynn's cheer, but nothing could dampen his ardor for the wilderness that stretchered out before him. Glynn had never seen so much empty space before in his life.

dantiesilva
2013-05-03, 05:47 AM
As you all agree to make haste to Oleg's trading post and Theo helps distribute the weight among the steeds they had each received you can see off in the distance the beginnings of the forest. Though a good days travel away you should be able to get there before nightfall, but there is also the chance of catching a nice good meal as well. And though not everyone has agreed, it seems the party is split on whether they should just eat rations or catch some food. Now what to do?

Smileybastard
2013-05-04, 06:15 PM
Ellieness

Ellieness takes the lead and moves the group along at a good pace. Lets ride hard and get to Oleg's today if possible. We have lots of rations and we have just begun. Delaying to hunt is not something we need to do already.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-05-07, 12:17 PM
Theo

On the ride Theodric kept moving about the group in a loose circle putting his modest skill at riding to use. While on the move he kept watch on the country side and their course checking for any unusual signs though not letting it slow the groups progress.

He offered no commentary on Ellieness statement but agreed completely with the sentiment.

While we're riding some Perception and Surivival checks to note anything unusual going on. (Signs of monsters, other travellers, that barbarian bandit tribe waiting to attack us, etc...)

Perception: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]

dantiesilva
2013-05-08, 08:27 AM
As you continued to ride, voting on whether it would be boar for dinner tonight or trail rations. Now on most days boars would be hunted, and time would not be of the essence, but as you are on a mission the majority has chosen the less comfortable one in hopes that when they arrive at Oleg's a nice warm meal shall be waiting for them. With these thoughts you watch as the boar disappears into the underbrush.

As nightfall begins to descend you come to the beginning of the forest. Your last obstacle to Oleg's. You have all decided that making it to Oleg's early is the most important thing, but to ride through the night for any given amount of time?

Theo as your eyes scan your surroundings you notice that though this is an old road the closer and closer you get to the stolen lands the less populated it seems to become. Even the tracks from old travelers seem to begin to wither away as you come to the forest. Smoke can be seen coming from the top of the tress, though exactly were the fire is would be hard to say from this distance.

Chilingsworth
2013-05-08, 07:38 PM
I do not relish the idea of navigating these woods at night, particularly since some of our party cannot see in the dark. I suggest we make camp.

WarBrute
2013-05-08, 08:09 PM
Glynn

"I agree with Dolgrin." Glynn says nodding in agreement. "Shall we light a fire? I have some fire making materials, but I have to admit I have very little experience when it comes to using it."

Smileybastard
2013-05-08, 11:24 PM
Ellieness

Ellieness nods in agreement. Lets make camp and a fire.

WarBrute
2013-05-11, 09:41 AM
Glynn

Glynn dismounts and pulls leads the King's Gambit to the side of the road. He moves into the underbrush picking up sticks as he goes. "Right, so you start with smaller sticks first and move on to large ones." When his arms are full of dead fall he dumps it by the side of the road. He pulls a piece of flint and a steel striker from his pack and begins working at lighting his pile of wood.

dantiesilva
2013-05-14, 11:01 PM
As you all pitch around camp setting up a nice large fire to keep you warm at night you can see up in the sky that it is only 2 more days until the full moon. Odd really none of you really know anything about each other yet you all are now banded together to stop bandits, perhaps a little chat with each other before the you all call in for the night.

The next morning as you awaken you look up to the sky, dawn is fast approaching and all around you the woods are quite, as if something big would be happening today, but what?

AlanBruce
2013-05-14, 11:17 PM
Gabriel watches Glynn begin a fire. He is somewhat ashamed he was unable to prove his worth hunting some boar. Or at least fowl. Taking a ration out of his pack, he takes a seat by the fire and takes a bite of the dried meat.

"So, what stories do we have to share? I can start! I once had to deal with rats in a basement. Not too big, mind you. But they sure had a mean bite."

WarBrute
2013-05-15, 10:33 AM
Glynn

Glynn sits by the fire thoughtfully staring up at the sky. He smiles at Gabriel comment. Glynn scratches at his face altering scar and says, "Yes, rats can be dangerous if you're not careful. Did you develop your all martial skills by fighting rats?"