PDA

View Full Version : Assassin('s Creed) Base Class - 3.5 PEACH (WIP)

Empedocles
2013-04-04, 03:14 PM
I'm a little rusty on my homebrew, so this might be kind of rough, but I'm giving it my best shot! :smalltongue: It's an assassin base class, inspired by the Assassin's Creed video games (not a faithful recreation of the characters within). Enjoy, and please evaluate and critique honestly!

*fluff to be added*

The Assassin

http://images.wikia.com/reddeadredemption/images/d/d4/Assassins-creed-20060921105332117.jpg

The Assassin
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|AC Bonus|Speed Bonus

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Sneak Attack +1d6, Weapon Finesse|+0|+0 ft.

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Evasion, Critical Strike|+0|+0 ft.

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Sneak Attack +2d6, Counterattack, Shadow Weapon|+0|+10 ft.

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Across the Rooftops, Uncanny Dodge|+0|+10 ft.

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sneak Attack +3d6, Blend In|+1|+10 ft.

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Master of Disguise, Break Defense|+1|+20 ft.

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Sneak Attack +4d6, Trapfinding|+1|+20 ft.

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Improved Uncanny Dodge|+1|+20 ft.

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Sneak Attack +5d6, Shadow Strike|+1|+30 ft.

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Death Attack|+2|+30 ft.

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Sneak Attack +6d6|+2|+30 ft.

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Improved Counterattack|+2|+40 ft.

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Sneak Attack +7d6|+2|+40 ft.

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|Improved Evasion|+2|+40 ft.

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Sneak Attack +8d6, Improved Death Attack|+3|+50 ft.

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Opportunist|+3|+50 ft.

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Sneak Attack +9d6|+3|+50 ft.

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Improved Critical Strike|+3|+60 ft.

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Sneak Attack +10d6|+3|+60 ft.

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12||+4|+60 ft.

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Assassin's are proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and any three martial or exotic weapons of their choice.

AC Bonus: When wearing light or no armor, the assassin adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, an assassin gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five assassin levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the assassin is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Sneak Attack: This functions as the rogue ability of the same name.

Weapon Finesse: The assassin gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

Critical Strike: As a full-round action the assassin can make one attack, made at her highest base attack bonus, but taking a -2 penalty on her attack roll. If the attack hits, it deals double damage (as does any other attack you make before your next turn). This ability can be used in conjunction with her Death Attack ability, and if it is, increase the save DC of the Death Attack by 2. At 5th level the penalty on the attack roll is reduced to 1, and at 9th level it disappears. At 11th level you can make two attacks when using this class feature, though only directed at a single creature. Both are made at your highest base attack bonus. At 18th level, the damage multiplier from this ability is increased to x3.

Evasion: At 2nd level and higher, an assasin can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless assassin does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Counterattack: If an assassin takes a full-round action to ready an action, the next time she is attacked, she gains a +2 bonus to AC. In addition, if she is attacked while the action is readied, she can, as an immediate action, make a single attack roll at the assassin's highest base attack bonus and treat the attack roll as her AC against that attack if higher. If the attack misses, then the assassin may make a single melee attack against that opponent as a free action and treat the opponent as flat-footed for the attack. At 12th level the assassin can use her Critical Strike ability in conjunction with a counterattack and the bonus to AC increases to +4. At 20th level, an Assassin need not ready an action to counterattack but can make a counterattack as an immediate action regardless of whether an action is readied, though the bonus to AC is only gained if an action is readied. In addition, the bonus to AC increases to +6 when an action is readied.

Shadow Weapon: Starting at 3rd level, the assassin can choose to add his dexterity modifier to damage dealt by weapons instead of his strength modifier.

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 4th level, an assassin can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

If an assassin already has uncanny dodge from a different class she automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Across the Rooftops: The assassin can move up, down, and across any surfaces he wishes, such as running across water or up walls or trees. However, he must end his turn on a surface he could normally stand on, or else he suffers consequences as appropriate, such as falling if running up a vertical surface or sinking if on the water.

Blend In: The assassin can use a crowd of four or more people as cover/concealment for a Hide check.

Master of Disguise: An assassin can take 10 on a Disguise check as a full round action instead of the usual 1d3x10 minutes of work.

Break Defense: When an assassin successfully hits with either a Sneak Attack or a Critical Strike, she can forego half of the damage from the attack in order to reduce the target's AC in half until the end of the assassin's next turn. This ability does not stack with itself.

Trapfinding: An assassin can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.

Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.

An assassin can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.

An assassin who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with her party) without disarming it.

Improved Uncanny Dodge: An assassin of 8th level or higher can no longer be flanked.

This defense denies another assassins or rogues the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking her, unless the attacker has at least four more assassin or rogue levels than the target does.

If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Death Attack: If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin’s choice). While studying the victim, the assassin can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the assassin or recognize the assassin as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the saving throw fails against the paralysis effect, the victim is rendered helpless and unable to act for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per level of the assassin. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. Once the assassin has completed the 3 rounds of study, he must make the death attack within the next 3 rounds.

If a death attack is attempted and fails (the victim makes her save) or if the assassin does not launch the attack within 3 rounds of completing the study, 3 new rounds of study are required before he can attempt another death attack.

Improved Evasion: This ability works like evasion, except that while the assassin still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless assassin does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Improved Death Attack: Starting at 15th level, the assassin can make a Death Attack without studying his enemy for 3 rounds first.

Opportunist: Once per round, the assassin can make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who has just been struck for damage in melee by another character. This attack counts as the assassin’s attack of opportunity for that round. Even a rogue with the Combat Reflexes feat can’t use the opportunist ability more than once per round.

Well, that's all I've got so far. I definitely need more unique abilities to separate this from the rogue, because right now I feel like it's just a "more tier-4" version of the rogue. Tier 3 would be cool...but this is more of a tier 4 concept, realistically.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-04-04, 07:38 PM
I love Assassin's Creed, and I'm mad at myself for not taking a crack at this idea. I was going to write this big ole long thing, but then I realized I could just say this:

Use the Monk Chassis, including Flurry (standard action!) and AC and Speed bonuses. The saves are better, and closer to the game.

Just use Sneak Attack, not Skirmish, and add a few abilities to maximize the amount of times SA can be used, like something allowing the Assassin to Flank or cause the target to lose their Dex bonus easier.

Tie in Eagle Vision. I know this isn't supposed to be that close to the originals but...

Ya know what? But Nothing. Eagle Vision is cool.

And finally, find a way to reduce MAD. Let the Assassin use Wis or Dex for things they're not normally used for.

vasharanpaladin
2013-04-04, 10:33 PM
...Swordsage. I win. :smalltongue:

Empedocles
2013-04-04, 10:46 PM
I love Assassin's Creed, and I'm mad at myself for not taking a crack at this idea. I was going to write this big ole long thing, but then I realized I could just say this:

Use the Monk Chassis, including Flurry (standard action!) and AC and Speed bonuses. The saves are better, and closer to the game.

Just use Sneak Attack, not Skirmish, and add a few abilities to maximize the amount of times SA can be used, like something allowing the Assassin to Flank or cause the target to lose their Dex bonus easier.

Tie in Eagle Vision. I know this isn't supposed to be that close to the originals but...

Ya know what? But Nothing. Eagle Vision is cool.

And finally, find a way to reduce MAD. Let the Assassin use Wis or Dex for things they're not normally used for.

So I threw on the monk chassis, except the saves (I will, but Im staring at the computer screen too much...) and I'm not convinced I like it more then the skirmish...but it works. Any other ideas for making sneak attack more easily accomplished and/or reducing MAD? The AC bonus helps a bit I guess.

...Swordsage. I win. :smalltongue:

*sigh*

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-04-04, 11:20 PM
So I threw on the monk chassis, except the saves (I will, but Im staring at the computer screen too much...) and I'm not convinced I like it more then the skirmish...but it works. Any other ideas for making sneak attack more easily accomplished and/or reducing MAD? The AC bonus helps a bit I guess.

Well, if you don't mind a little bit of the supernatural, give the Assassin the ability to summon a "Shadow Clone" of himself. It can't damage people, but it counts as a Flanker due to the enemy not knowing which is which. Perhaps the clone eventually can cause damage at higher levels?

In my Assassin class (itchin to finish) I considered, but then threw out the idea of incorporating the Piece of Eden powers into the class itself. For example giving the Assassin Illusion spells and a few Charm Person effects, or that kickass Force Field power all the bad guys use to freeze you so they can monologue. You could also do what I'm doing and grant the Assassin Improved Evasion and the Uncanny Dodge line. Makes him hard to hit, hard to sneak up on. I also let him use Wisdom for Strength and Dex skill checks, though I also allowed him to do that for Charisma checks. It might be a little too much.

You should also consider increasing the AC bonus, and allowing the Speed bonus to count while wearing Light Armor.

Empedocles
2013-04-04, 11:36 PM
Well, if you don't mind a little bit of the supernatural, give the Assassin the ability to summon a "Shadow Clone" of himself. It can't damage people, but it counts as a Flanker due to the enemy not knowing which is which. Perhaps the clone eventually can cause damage at higher levels?

In my Assassin class (itchin to finish) I considered, but then threw out the idea of incorporating the Piece of Eden powers into the class itself. For example giving the Assassin Illusion spells and a few Charm Person effects, or that kickass Force Field power all the bad guys use to freeze you so they can monologue. You could also do what I'm doing and grant the Assassin Improved Evasion and the Uncanny Dodge line. Makes him hard to hit, hard to sneak up on. I also let him use Wisdom for Strength and Dex skill checks, though I also allowed him to do that for Charisma checks. It might be a little too much.

You should also consider increasing the AC bonus, and allowing the Speed bonus to count while wearing Light Armor.

Ohhhhh I need to think about this...this class was intended as a more mundane interpretation but those abilities would be awesome.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-04-04, 11:41 PM
Ohhhhh I need to think about this...this class was intended as a more mundane interpretation but those abilities would be awesome.

Unfortunately Mundane usually equates to Crap where standard D&D is concerned. :smallyuk: :smalltongue:

So reaching Tier 3 is tough without...help. Of the Arcane or Divine variety. Either picking out single spells that replicate the more fantastic aspects of Assassin's Creed or lifting the Bard or Ranger spell list is in your best interest.

Empedocles
2013-04-04, 11:49 PM
Unfortunately Mundane usually equates to Crap where standard D&D is concerned. :smallyuk: :smalltongue:

So reaching Tier 3 is tough without...help. Of the Arcane or Divine variety. Either picking out single spells that replicate the more fantastic aspects of Assassin's Creed or lifting the Bard or Ranger spell list is in your best interest.

So, terribly, awfully true. :smallfurious: Ill sleep on this...

Empedocles
2013-04-05, 10:16 AM
Alright, so I thought about this, and I've considered the following solution: give the assassin a pool of abilities they can learn similar to how many mundane Pathfinder classes work. Some of the abilities are distinctly supernatural, some of them aren't, and there're enough of both that you could play a totally mundane assassin or one who force fields his enemies and creates illusory clones of himself.

rweird
2013-04-07, 02:56 PM
18th level assassins have an AC bonus of +60 ft according to the table and no speed bonus.

Maybe add in some way to sneak attack critical immune foes, possibly somehow tying that to eagle vision.

Bumping skills up to 6+int mod, if not 8 instead of 4 might make for a better tier 3, Beguilers have 6 and full casting, and still are tier 3.

Lastly, include something like counterattack, maybe something like you can ready an action to counterattack, allowing you to make opposed attack rolls, if yours is better the attack misses and you get to make an attack that catches them flat-footed, maybe also add in the Opportunist rogue ability, maybe improved evasion too.

vasharanpaladin
2013-04-07, 04:57 PM
And now, for a less frivolous reply! :smallbiggrin:

Flurry of Blows is entirely unnecessary and, frankly, doesn't suit the concept. You're going for a build that, in the games, is "one strike, one kill." Emphasize that; if you're gonna borrow something from the monk here, take the Decisive Blow ACF from PH2.

I'll also second raising the skill points for this; not to tell you this attempt is basically "rogue ACF," but they are skill jockeys!

Also, if you want to emphasize the use of small, easily hidden weapons (like, for example, the Hidden Blade), offer Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat early on, and something like Shadow Blade later. :smallwink:

Empedocles
2013-04-07, 05:34 PM
18th level assassins have an AC bonus of +60 ft according to the table and no speed bonus.

Maybe add in some way to sneak attack critical immune foes, possibly somehow tying that to eagle vision.

Bumping skills up to 6+int mod, if not 8 instead of 4 might make for a better tier 3, Beguilers have 6 and full casting, and still are tier 3.

Lastly, include something like counterattack, maybe something like you can ready an action to counterattack, allowing you to make opposed attack rolls, if yours is better the attack misses and you get to make an attack that catches them flat-footed, maybe also add in the Opportunist rogue ability, maybe improved evasion too.

And now, for a less frivolous reply! :smallbiggrin:

Flurry of Blows is entirely unnecessary and, frankly, doesn't suit the concept. You're going for a build that, in the games, is "one strike, one kill." Emphasize that; if you're gonna borrow something from the monk here, take the Decisive Blow ACF from PH2.

I'll also second raising the skill points for this; not to tell you this attempt is basically "rogue ACF," but they are skill jockeys!

Also, if you want to emphasize the use of small, easily hidden weapons (like, for example, the Hidden Blade), offer Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat early on, and something like Shadow Blade later. :smallwink:

Alright, I added in a Critical Strike ability (very similar to Decisive Strike) and replaced Flurry of Blows with it. Improved skill points to 6. As soon as I get ToB in my hands I'll give a Shadow Blade type of ability. Not sure how well counterattack works mechanically. Any suggestions on that?

I'm also really unsure how to implement Eagle vision as of now... :smallmad:

rweird
2013-04-10, 04:45 PM
Alright, I added in a Critical Strike ability (very similar to Decisive Strike) and replaced Flurry of Blows with it. Improved skill points to 6. As soon as I get ToB in my hands I'll give a Shadow Blade type of ability. Not sure how well counterattack works mechanically. Any suggestions on that?

Shadow Blade is just add dex to damage with certain weapons (for this, I'd just put weapon finness-able ones).

With Counterattack, I think it should maybe be some sort of opposed attack roll to make the attack miss, if you succeed, you strike the opponent and treat them as flat-footed.

Maybe like this:

Counterattack: If an assassin takes a full-round action to ready an action, the next time she is attacked, she gains a +2 bonus to AC. In addition, if she is attacked while the action is readied, she can, as an immediate action, make a single attack roll at the assassin's highest base attack bonus and treat the attack roll as her AC against that attack if higher. If the attack misses, then the assassin may make a single melee attack against that opponent as a free action and treat the opponent as flat-footed for the attack. At 12th level the assassin can use her Critical Strike ability in conjunction with a counterattack and the bonus to AC increases to +4. At 20th level, an Assassin need not ready an action to counterattack but can make a counterattack as an immediate action regardless of whether an action is readied, though the bonus to AC is only gained if an action is readied. In addition, the bonus to AC increases to +6 when an action is readied.

I also think you should add the Opportunist rogue ability at maybe 16th level.

Maybe make Critical Strike do x3 damage at 18th level, and you've eliminated all the dead levels of the class.

No idea how to work in eagle vision honestly, perhaps a bonus on Spot and Sense Motive at first level (maybe +2, increasing by +2 every level another part of this ability is gained), maybe detect [opposed alignment] at will at 4th, See Invisibility and Arcane Sight at 9th, True Seeing and those improve to Greater Arcane Sight at 14th, perhaps foresight at 19th.

Empedocles
2013-04-10, 10:57 PM
Shadow Blade is just add dex to damage with certain weapons (for this, I'd just put weapon finness-able ones).

With Counterattack, I think it should maybe be some sort of opposed attack roll to make the attack miss, if you succeed, you strike the opponent and treat them as flat-footed.

Maybe like this:

I also think you should add the Opportunist rogue ability at maybe 16th level.

Maybe make Critical Strike do x3 damage at 18th level, and you've eliminated all the dead levels of the class.

No idea how to work in eagle vision honestly, perhaps a bonus on Spot and Sense Motive at first level (maybe +2, increasing by +2 every level another part of this ability is gained), maybe detect [opposed alignment] at will at 4th, See Invisibility and Arcane Sight at 9th, True Seeing and those improve to Greater Arcane Sight at 14th, perhaps foresight at 19th.

Alright, did the critical strike x3 and opportunist abilities. Also added in the Break Defense ability, which I like.

I don't really like such a simplistic view of eagle vision, but I'm out of ideas :smallmad:

rweird
2013-04-11, 06:21 AM
Alright, did the critical strike x3 and opportunist abilities. Also added in the Break Defense ability, which I like.

I don't really like such a simplistic view of eagle vision, but I'm out of ideas :smallmad:

I like break defense, maybe add on something to say it doesn't stack.

I don't really like that eagle-vision really, I think a detect evil-ish thing excepts it detects things of plot importance and whether they're enemies or allies, though I don't know how to incorporate that in D&D without totally wrecking the plot.

Empedocles
2013-04-11, 08:23 PM
I like break defense, maybe add on something to say it doesn't stack.

I don't really like that eagle-vision really, I think a detect evil-ish thing excepts it detects things of plot importance and whether they're enemies or allies, though I don't know how to incorporate that in D&D without totally wrecking the plot.

I added in the clause about it not stacking, and I'm glad you like the ability :smallsmile:

I have the same reservations about eagle-vision. It just doesn't fit nicely into D&D.

On another note, I need a capstone ability. Are there any major assassin's moves I'm missing right now?

Empedocles
2013-04-12, 05:11 PM
Added the shadow weapon ability to reduce MAD.

rweird
2013-04-13, 06:48 AM
Looking through the class for what you missed, I realized something.

Death Attack: If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin’s choice). While studying the victim, the assassin can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not detect the assassin or recognize the assassin as an enemy. If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies. If the saving throw fails against the paralysis effect, the victim is rendered helpless and unable to act for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per level of the assassin. If the victim’s saving throw succeeds, the attack is just a normal sneak attack. Once the assassin has completed the 3 rounds of study, he must make the death attack within the next 3 rounds.

I think the save should be Dex or Wis based, Int has pretty much no other use for the Assassin.

It also probably should be DC 10+ 1/2 the assassin's class level +Wisdom or Dexterity modifier, a DC ~40 fortitude save shouldn't be necessary to survive a sneak attack at 20th.

Maybe allow break defense to instead of halving AC to allow precision damage against the foe (but deal half damage) for the following round as a secondary option.

I think giving a fighter bonus feat or ambush feat (complete scoundrel, allow you to subtract sneak attack dice for additional effects) as a bonus feat every 5 levels might be a good add on. Maybe add in a few other relevant feats to the bonus feat list.

For capstone, maybe Crippling Strike, Defensive Roll (rogue abilities), and Ex Mind Blank (spell), rolled into one.

I think defensive roll could represent how once your health/sync is 0, you still have to take damage again, Crippling Strike just seems to fit sneak attackers, and Mind Blank is what Ezio had to resist some powers of the piece of eden, the other assassins just weren't high level enough to have it. No idea what to call that ability though.

Lvl45DM!
2013-04-13, 07:41 AM
Maybe Eagle Vision works by selecting a target and afflicting them with a Faerie Fire that only the Assassin can benefit from? Or alternatively it functions as a Detect Enemy Spell. Make it a capstone?

Phippster
2013-04-13, 12:10 PM
Eagle Vision could be used to grant the Assassin some version of True Seeing or a similar spell. Helps them to discern their targets and reveals things that would have otherwise been hidden. Also sort of works for its ability to detect secret doors (As in the beginning of AC2), albeit this would just be seeing through illusory walls and such to hide them.

KrimsonNekros
2013-04-29, 06:34 PM
Just something I'm pondering is maybe some sort of feather fall or a class bonus to Balance, Tumble, and Jump so that you have the Leap of Faith included as well? Also might want to change the name so that you avoid confusion with the Prestige class. I'd recommend Hashashin. It was the name fo the organization that we derived the word assassin from and likely the same group Altair belonged to.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-29, 09:09 PM
It's a bit late in the process - and would be a huge boost to power - but I might consider working in some ToB stuff directly - give them access to a few disciplines (I could see Shadow Hand, Iron Heart, Devoted Spirit and Diamond Mind pretty easily).

If nothing else, I'd pick a handful of counters for them.

Wondering if there are any Paladin class features that would be worth incorporating... but I don't think there are.

Eagle Vision could be something pretty cool... there are any number of things you might include. One thing I'd propose is a full detect alignment, rather than just "Detect Single Alignment" deal.

ThreadOfFate
2013-04-30, 12:22 AM
Ooooo, another Assassin class! :D

I made one a while ago with my friend, you can find the link in my homebrow signature. Always nice to see other interpretations. Looks like we had a lot of the same ideas, and you know what they about great minds.

Here's what I'm thinking:

You might want to add some kind of capstone ability for those dedicated to the class.

As of now, there's no real point for the Assassin to have anything above a 10 or 12 in STR, as you've made DEX a pretty boss stat for this class - which is fine, given their place as a skirmisher rather than a straight tank-y damager. This lets them focus on WIS or CON, both of which help.

I think leaving the Death Attack save as INT-based is fine, as removing a STR dependency from the class opens that up as a good secondary or tertiary ability score. And yeah, make it 1/2 class level.

Eagle Vision is subjective when determining friends/foes/targets, so remember that if/when you implement it - and it isn't perfect. Altair was fooled in the first game near the end.

Defense Break may want to halve a part of the AC (Armor bonus or Dexterity bonus, maybe) rather than all of it.

Aside from that, I think the class needs more...well, stuff. Right now, there isn't much advantage to just going rogue -> assassin and getting some spiffy magic items to do all the stuff this White Clad can do.

As for final abilities for an assassin? Leap of Faith, maybe. Death Attack without needing sneak attack 1/encounter, maybe. Counter Kills are also a good option, given how brutal those were in the games.

JustineSane
2014-02-04, 12:05 AM
Hate to necro this, but I have recently been looking for an AC base class that I can use (and was going to make one myself if I couldn't find one) and this one seems to fit the bill for what I am looking for.
I've only played up to Brotherhood, and one of the things I liked about Ezio's abilities was his supreme Great Cleave-esque ability to down an opponent, take what seems to be more than a 5' step, down another, wash, rinse repeat. Reminds me of Batman in the Arkham games (of course, the Bat is even better than this, clearing 20'-30' with each enemy, and doesn't have to down them). Also, improving the Death Attack to be used with ranged weapons (*cough* crossbow, my most favored method of dispatch *cough*) would be good, too. I'm going to rework a bit for my own games, but thanks for the work you've put into this as well, really helpful!

WhiteLycan
2014-02-04, 01:10 AM
How about this for eagle vision:

Eagle Vision: While under the effects of Eagle Vision, the assassin is granted a special sight that reveals an opponent's weakest points. For the duration of the ability, the assassin may ignore the critical strike/sneak attack immunity of any opponent he wishes. This ability has a duration of 1 round per assassin level and is usable 2/day per point of wisdom bonus.

Alternatively, another Eagle Vision I thought of is this, which I like more:

Eagle Vision: An assassin may make a special Spot check as a swift action in order to ignore the Critical and Sneak Attack Immunity of any monster he makes the check for. The DC is equal to 10 + the target's HD. The assassin may only make this check once per creature per encounter. If the check succeeds, the affect lasts the duration of the encounter. If it fails, the creature retains it's immunity to criticals/sneak attacks against the assassin and he may not try again on that creature until he meets it in another encounter.