PDA

View Full Version : Building characters for new players - assistance required

ddude987
2013-04-04, 03:59 PM
Hello playgrounders! I have gotten together several friends who are completely new to dnd 3.5, though some have played 4e. We are starting at 3rd level. My DM requested I ask the players what they want and give them a character to match so they do not gimp themselves at least at the start of the game. From there they can make their own decisions as they learn the game better. Here is the party so far:

Myself: 1 Factotum/2 Monk ::: Monk changes: Full BaB, no penalty on Flurry, Wis to attack rolls and Damage.

Player A: Halfling Rogue 3 ::: This is the trouble character. He wants to do crossbows. I know dual wielding hand crossbows is a thing but I have no idea how to go about it. Suggestions?

Player B: Human 3 Sorcerer ::: The build is solid though I have no idea what if any gear to give him or feats. He wants blasting.

Player C: Goliath (LA buyoff allowed) 3 Barbarian ::: Going into Frenzied Bezerker this is probably the most solid character.

Player D: Elf Cloistered Cleric 3 ::: Zen Archery. No Idea what feat to take for level 1. Point Blank Shot? Worships Ehlonna though player said any Elf god would be fine. Domain suggestions?

On top of what is listed, we are doing wpl based on table 5-1 in the DMG. I have no idea what if any small magic item or what not to give to the players. I showed them the MiC and DMG magic items but the only things anybody was interested in was weapon and armor abilities. They all did say a cool magic "trinket" (wondrous item) would be nice though.
Thanks to everyone!

Note: We rolled 4d6 drop the lowest and I didn't realize but they grabbed some loaded dice so no score on anybody is below 14 before mods. (In case that is relevant)

Edit: Sorcadin decided he would rather do Sorcerer Blasting. Ideas for feats and what not?

dascarletm
2013-04-04, 04:07 PM
For Player A: Crossbow sniper (PHBII), see if the DM will let the improved version I found online. (Just google it)

Player B: maybe play with battle sorcerer from UA?

Player D: Go Divine Metamagic? It always is a good idea!:smallsmile: For domains.. is War available to him/her?

Magic Items: Heward's Handy Haversack!

ddude987
2013-04-04, 04:35 PM
For Player A: Crossbow sniper (PHBII), see if the DM will let the improved version I found online. (Just google it)

Player B: maybe play with battle sorcerer from UA?

Player D: Go Divine Metamagic? It always is a good idea!:smallsmile: For domains.. is War available to him/her?

Magic Items: Heward's Handy Haversack!

Haversacks are a great idea thanks. As to DMM do you think that is to complicated for new players? Also looking up the improved version now.

edit: Improved Crossbow Sniper would be something to take later. What feats would the crossbow user want around 9th and before since I'm not sure we'll get to far past that.

dascarletm
2013-04-04, 04:38 PM
Well I don't think it is too difficult to understand. If they know what turning checks are, and how metamagic works then it is pretty simple after that. You just use an attempt/spell level you would increase it by.

ddude987
2013-04-04, 04:41 PM
Well I don't think it is too difficult to understand. If they know what turning checks are, and how metamagic works then it is pretty simple after that. You just use an attempt/spell level you would increase it by.

Alright. DMM Persist is going to be en route then. thanks.

dascarletm
2013-04-04, 05:17 PM
Make sure your DM won't be using "Launch DMG" at you for this.:smallwink:

ddude987
2013-04-04, 05:24 PM
Make sure your DM won't be using "Launch DMG" at you for this.:smallwink:

Well to be honest here its also his first time playing 3.5 though he played in a 4e campaign for a while with me... Oh and another local Gianter who also switched to 3.5. Anyways, the guy is the best storyteller I know and picked up concepts extremely fast so I think he'll be fine at DMing but won't know the ins and outs enough to justify throwing a book. After all, he allowed me to to Dragonwrought Kobold Monk Urpriest...