PDA

View Full Version : The Sarax-Okus prestige class (3.5) [PEACH]

Humble Master
2013-04-04, 06:09 PM
Sarax-Okus
"Neither the art of the arcane nor the art of the blade is perfect. Only when they are used in tandem can true power be achieved" - Xandar, Sarax-Okus

Behold the Sarax-Okus! I created this class to serve as a reason to play a gish. I have feared that it is too powerfull and I would apreciate feadback on this class. Thank you.

Sarax-okus are a select few who have mastered the art of weaving attacks and martial maneuvers into their spell casting. These select few favor neither the sword nor the spell but are masters of using both at once. They can unleash storms of blades and at the same time flawlessly cast spells.

Hit Die: d6
Requirements
To qualify to become an sarax-okus, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Balance 5 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks, Knowledge(Arcana) 9 ranks, Knowledge(Martial Lore) 9 ranks.
Spell casting: Ability to cast arcane spells
Maneuvers: Must know one martial maneuver and one martial stance
Other: Must learn the art from a current sarax-okus

{table=head] Level |Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special | Spell per Day
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Synchronized Spell, Armored Casting Light | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Synergized Spell | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Synchronized Assualt | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Armoured Casting Medium | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
6th | +6 | +5 | +2 | +5 | | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
7th | +7 | +5 | +2 | +5 | | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
8th | +8 | +6 | +2 | +6 | | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
9th | +9 | +6 | +3 | +6 | | +1level of existing arcane spellcasting class
10th | +10 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Perfect Synergy |
[/table]

Maneuvers
{table=head] Level |Maneuvers Known | Maneuvers Readied | Stances Known
1st | 0 | 1 | 0
2nd | 1 | 0 | 0
3rd | 0 | 0 | 0
4th |1 | 0 | 0
5th | 0 | 0 | 1
6th | 1 | 1 | 0
7th | 0 | 0 | 0
8th | 1 | 0 | 0
9th | 0 | 0 | 0
10th | 1 | 1 | 1
[/table]

Class Features

All the following are class features of the sarax-okus prestige class.
Class Skills
The sarax-okus class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Knowledge(Arcana) (Int), Knowledge(Martial Lore) (Int), Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A sarax-okus is proficient with all martial weapons. Sarax-okus are proficient with medium and light armor but not shields.

Spells per Day: When a new sarax-okus level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefits a character of the class would have gained (bonus metamagic or item creation feats, and so on), except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an sarax-okus, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Synchronized Spell(Ex): A number of times per day equal to their sarax-okus level, a sarax-okus can weave attacks into the casting of their spells. When a sarax-okus casts a spell with a casting time of a standard, move or swift action they may choose to make it synergized. When casting a synergized spell the sarax-okus may make a single attack as part of casting the spell.

Armored casting(Ex): A sarax-okus becomes proficient at casting spells despite the encumbrance of armor. A sarax-okus may ignore the arcane spell failure chance of light armor (but not shields). Furthermore, a sarax-okus of 5th level may ignore the arcane spell failure chance of medium armor (but not shields).

Synergized Spell(Ex): A number of times per day equal to half their sarax-okus level, a sarax-okus can mesh their martial maneuvers and spells into a single, awe inspiring display. When a sarax-okus casts a spell with a casting time of a standard, move or swift action they may choose to make it synergized. When casting a synergized spell the sarax-okus may initiate a single martial maneuver with an initiation time of a standard or swift action.

Synchronized Assault(Ex): Starting at 3rd level a sarax-okus can unleash a storm of spells and attacks. A sarax-okus may activate their synchronized assault a number of times per day equal to one third their sarax-okus level rounded down. A syncronized assault is a full round action that lets the sarax-okus cast as spell with a casting time of a full, standard, move or swift action and make a full round attack.

Perfect Synchronization(Su): Upon reaching 10th level, once per day a sarax-okus can enter a state of perfect synergy of mind, body, spirit and soul were maneuvers, spells and attacks can be executed in tandem. This ability takes up a full round action. As part of this action make a full round attack, initiate a maneuver who's initiation time is a full round, standard, move or swift action and cast a spell who's casting time is a full round, standard, move or swift action.

Sarax-Okus Lore
The art of the sarax-okus was originally developed by Drakon wizards and warblades. The word sarax-okus is in fact ancient draconic that roughly translates to "the fusion of magic and the tools of war". When the first sarax-okus were trained they set up a guild to promote the development of the order. Once the War of Farallk broke out there were numerous sarax-okus on both sides of the conflict. Numerous guilds were attacked and ransacked, casualties grew and by the end of the war only a scant few sarax-okus were left. Since that time they have been working to rebuild. Currently only one sarax-okus guild has been rebuilt; the temple of Kia-Sarax.
The sarax-okus technique has found its way to the Mainland due in part to Lord Xandar's travels. Still only a scant few have the mental and physical capability to become a sarax-okus. As a result sarax-okus are prized warriors that can easily be paid handsomely should they pledge their allegiance to an army or king. Still many sarax-okus choose to be wanderers or hermits as opposed to front line combatants so they can keep their art alive.
Most sarax-okus choose to adventure simply to test their skill and mettle. A sarax-okus is constantly looking to fuse their arcane and martial abilities more perfectly and show their unparalleled power to others. Money is rarely the driving force behind a sarax-okus' goals. Their rigorous training and long hours spent studying tends to make them value knowledge over material wealth.

Shyftir
2013-04-05, 03:06 AM
My only question is why this instead of Jade Pheonix Mage?

also what are the Pre-Reqs to get into this class?

Razanir
2013-04-05, 10:09 AM
1) I'd move HD, prereqs, and skills to above the table. I didn't think they existed at first.
2) I'm not sure I understand how the maneuvers table works:smallconfused:
3) On the table, I would have it read Armored Casting (Light) not Armored Casting Light. Similar for Medium. It's the same ability, just a different variation

Humble Master
2013-04-05, 08:58 PM
Shyftir. While Jade Phoenix Mage was cool and all I wanted to do my own take on the gish prestige class. Also the prerequisites are under the table.

Razanir. 1. I think their current position is fine. 2. The table shows the additional maneuvers known/readied and stances you get as you advance level in the class. 3. Again I think its fine.

Thank you for your comments.

Razanir
2013-04-05, 09:37 PM
Shyftir. While Jade Phoenix Mage was cool and all I wanted to do my own take on the gish prestige class. Also the prerequisites are under the table.

Razanir. 1. I think their current position is fine. 2. The table shows the additional maneuvers known/readied and stances you get as you advance level in the class. 3. Again I think its fine.

Thank you for your comments.

1. It's not that it's wrong, just nonstandard. It's why Shyftir had trouble finding it. It really is just standard to put them above the table.
2. Again, it's not wrong, just nonstandard. Typically the tables show total known/readied not when you get a new one. It's easier to read that way.
3. You get the point.

Humble Master
2013-04-05, 10:08 PM
Well if it bothers people I geuss I will move it.

Humble Master
2013-04-07, 01:19 PM
Bump

Also could someone give me their thoughts on the class as a whole?

The Dragon
2013-06-08, 09:42 AM
Hmm. I see that there's no description of the manueovres ability. Tome of Battle usually have those, both for classes and PRC's. As a function of that, it doesn't say what disciplines you can take.

The power level is a fair bit above what warrior-mages usually gets, but it probably stacks up to an abjurant champion. wether or not you consider ten levels of this OP is your prerogative.

ddude987
2013-06-13, 07:36 AM
It needs available disciplines for martial manuvers.

Overall I think the class is really cool and well thought out. It does need a bigger hit die if it wants to front line though. Also I would give it 4+int skills and grant it some physical skills like balance, jump, tumble etc as well as profession and craft since every class should have those. Also possibly spot, listen, and a few more knowledges.

As for the casting progression I would make them lose a level right away. If you only drop a casting level at 10th than the class will not be taken that high and still gain full value and/or promote dipping into it for gishing.

Xerlith
2013-08-03, 09:26 AM
Okay.. So:

- It's too frontloaded. I can see a JPM dipping into it for two or three levels because of the chassis and dropping out soon after.

- Frontloaded with reiterations of the same ability. The Synchronized (x2) and Synergized abilities are essentialy the same.

- Too generic abilities for a lore-specific class. Make them stand out. Do something that a JPM can't do with his quickening strikes (which, note, he gains quite late).

The chassis - A caster level loss at 10th level essentialy makes this class a 9-level one. Except

- The capstone. It's too weak or too strong, depending how you look at it. And is, in fact, reintroduction of the 3 previous abilities as a whole.

If read as written, it gives you a full attack, a maneuver and a spell in the same round. Oh, and you can quicken another, too. And if I Synergize it, I can also initiate a second maneuver.

What balance point were you aiming at?

EDIT: Well, I've shown up late to the party. But then though, why did it show up yesterday as a freshly updated thread? ;x