PDA

View Full Version : Making a Vlog Need Help!!

PowerGamer
2013-04-04, 07:46 PM
Hey,
A few of my friends have vlogs and it looked like fun. This is my second attempt at making one. The first time I had no pc skills so it failed. Now I have skills and things to say.

Here's episode 1 Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ9jkY6hSnc&list=PLgymxygxZyObhrNx5b0l6ByuyUMxUIH5N&index=1)

I would love any tips, feed back, topic suggestions, ANYTHING!!! Publicity maybe I don't know.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-05, 08:04 PM
Well, as an intro video, it's not bad. But that all it seems to be: an introduction. I'd need to see some actual content: what is this series about. Camera/mic quality is a little poor, and you were kind of close to the camera.

Perhaps you could review old, nostalgic TV shows and films. Become a critic of that nature. A CRITIC of NOSTALGIA subject matter. I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that online.:smallwink:

Tebryn
2013-04-05, 08:08 PM
Well, as an intro video, it's not bad. But that all it seems to be: an introduction. I'd need to see some actual content: what is this series about. Camera/mic quality is a little poor, and you were kind of close to the camera.

Perhaps you could review old, nostalgic TV shows and films. Become a critic of that nature. A CRITIC of NOSTALGIA subject matter. I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that online.:smallwink:

I'll echo this, especially trying to get some stuff out on the Youtubes myself. Quality is the most important thing you want to focus on right now, both audio and video which both need a little work. Things to say of course are also more important but if you're just doing this as a video diary...it'll be hard to get traction. You need something to go with your random musings for people to want to hear about you on a personal level as harsh as it is to say. The most important thing though after you get all that is networking and patience.

PowerGamer
2013-04-05, 08:27 PM

Thank you for the help Dr.Epic,
I don't have much in terms of camera and mic :smallfrown: I'm dealing with what I have at my disposal. As for camera distance, that I can fix. :smallcool: I'm working on a second episode right now with some content. Maybe I can have some nostalgia critic but that isn't going to be everything. I've to wide spread to narrow everything down to 1 topic. I'm just getting started so I'm still learning the ropes.

PowerGamer
2013-04-05, 08:31 PM
I'll echo this, especially trying to get some stuff out on the Youtubes myself. Quality is the most important thing you want to focus on right now, both audio and video which both need a little work. Things to say of course are also more important but if you're just doing this as a video diary...it'll be hard to get traction. You need something to go with your random musings for people to want to hear about you on a personal level as harsh as it is to say. The most important thing though after you get all that is networking and patience.

Thank you Tebryn,
I'm doing this for fun I guess. It's partially to work on speaking skills, mostly for fun. As for me getting side tracked... I'm working on it. I have rough "scripts" typed up and I should have edited out my rambling. But I had recorded a ton of times and just needed it to be posted. I will work on my ramblings :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2013-04-05, 08:55 PM
Thank you for the help Dr.Epic,
I don't have much in terms of camera and mic :smallfrown: I'm dealing with what I have at my disposal.

Well, how seriously are you taking this? Right now I can see it as a hobby, but even hobbies require some expense. You don't have to rush out and buy a super expensive camera and mic, but you want some degree of professionalism - especially if you want to make this a regular thing.

Another option is to work around limitation. When the Cinema Snob first started out - he's a major internet reviewer BTW - his audio and camera where HORRIBLE! But he got away with it because he reviewed sleazy, low budget exploitation films - the limitations of his show fit in with the limitations of the films he reviewed.

Maybe I can have some nostalgia critic but that isn't going to be everything. I've to wide spread to narrow everything down to 1 topic. I'm just getting started so I'm still learning the ropes.

Did you seriously not get the reference?

PowerGamer
2013-04-05, 09:06 PM
Well, how seriously are you taking this? Right now I can see it as a hobby, but even hobbies require some expense. You don't have to rush out and buy a super expensive camera and mic, but you want some degree of professionalism - especially if you want to make this a regular thing.

Another option is to work around limitation. When the Cinema Snob first started out - he's a major internet reviewer BTW - his audio and camera where HORRIBLE! But he got away with it because he reviewed sleazy, low budget exploitation films - the limitations of his show fit in with the limitations of the films he reviewed.

Did you seriously not get the reference?

Right now it's a hobby. I'll work on getting better equipment with time (priority is college). I know I'm limited, but I'm a perfectionist who set standard that I can't always reach... And if I sound like I'm trying to defend myself... It's a bad habit, but I'm taking everything into account for sure.

Yeah... I missed the reference...

Dr.Epic
2013-04-05, 09:11 PM
Yeah... I missed the reference...

This guy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Guy_with_the_Glasses) Kind of one of the leading figures behind the current wave of Vlogs and reviews.

PowerGamer
2013-04-05, 09:15 PM
This guy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That_Guy_with_the_Glasses) Kind of one of the leading figures behind the current wave of Vlogs and reviews.

I honestly don't watch that many vlogs...

Dr.Epic
2013-04-07, 06:39 PM
I honestly don't watch that many vlogs...

:smallconfused:

...and you want to start a Vlog?

PowerGamer
2013-04-07, 07:08 PM
:smallconfused:

...and you want to start a Vlog?

I used to watch a ton, and then I cut back to a few, mostly letsplays. But I'm a busy person now :/

Negativethac0
2013-04-07, 08:10 PM
The thing with creative hobbies is that you often become better at them the more you keep at it. Just as reading a lot of books likely will help you on your way if you want to write your own, the only real way to become better at writing is to...write. As a self-published author I know this more than anything.

I've done a couple of vlogs, mainly about my books but also games, and trutfully, I haven't spent more than 120$ on equipment or so. It may seem like a lot, but can buy you some okay Webcam with an okay built-in microphone. It's not top-notch, but it works. As Dr. Epic says, everythings costs these days, and it will be proportional to what you wish to produce.

The Nostalgia Critic had a dreadful quality in his first videos, but they were (are) still great because he was interesting and had the charisma to pull it off. The best way to get at it is to practise. Keep going, keep training. Make some logs, look them over, then make some more. From experience, when you start to relax it really shows.

I honestly think you're doing okay, so far. Try and make a video, as you say, about one topic and do your best to stick with it. A lot of vlogs drop me because the host can't stick to one subject.
As said, keep doing it. Even though it feels odd, strange and makes you feel bad about mistakes. That's what you learn from. Eventually, you will improve.

Good luck!

PowerGamer
2013-04-07, 09:39 PM
The thing with creative hobbies is that you often become better at them the more you keep at it. Just as reading a lot of books likely will help you on your way if you want to write your own, the only real way to become better at writing is to...write. As a self-published author I know this more than anything.

I've done a couple of vlogs, mainly about my books but also games, and trutfully, I haven't spent more than 120$ on equipment or so. It may seem like a lot, but can buy you some okay Webcam with an okay built-in microphone. It's not top-notch, but it works. As Dr. Epic says, everythings costs these days, and it will be proportional to what you wish to produce.

The Nostalgia Critic had a dreadful quality in his first videos, but they were (are) still great because he was interesting and had the charisma to pull it off. The best way to get at it is to practise. Keep going, keep training. Make some logs, look them over, then make some more. From experience, when you start to relax it really shows.

I honestly think you're doing okay, so far. Try and make a video, as you say, about one topic and do your best to stick with it. A lot of vlogs drop me because the host can't stick to one subject.
As said, keep doing it. Even though it feels odd, strange and makes you feel bad about mistakes. That's what you learn from. Eventually, you will improve.

Good luck!

Thank you!! :) while typing up some more script I realized was getting to varied for 1 video. Depending on my schedule I hope to have another up soon. But will most likely be on the weekend.