PDA

View Full Version : Badja (3.5 race)

LordErebus12
2013-04-04, 07:56 PM
The warrior facing you is roughly the size of a halfling, but that’s where the resemblance ends. The creature is covered with coarse, dark fur, with a blaze of white on its forehead and muzzle. Armed with a variety of primitive weapons, it snarls something to you in its barking language. Apparently, you’re not welcome here.

Badja, Badger-folk

http://i.imgur.com/l1TYe2I.png

Badja males are on average three feet tall and weigh 75 pounds. The females are slightly smaller. Both males and females are covered with gray or brown fur with a white blaze on their foreheads.

The Badja live in primitive forest tribes, in simple villages comprised of huts, tents, or pit houses. From time to time, they move their villages in order to find better hunting or to move away from a threat. The badja are masterful hunters and are at home in the forest. While the Badja are quiet and keep to themselves, they know all that goes on in the forest around them. They generally distrust outsiders as some humanoids have raided their villages to steal their pups in order to raise them as pets or servants. Once a person is able to get past their reticence, they can be quite warm and welcoming. They also can be grateful to people that help them deal with threats and problems that they may not be able to address on their own.

Badja always attack from stealth and are quite adept at setting ambushes and hit and run tactics. They will usually avoid combat if they do not have superior numbers and a favorable position. Their groups usually consist of a mix of melee warriors armed with either battleaxes and javelins and ranged combatants armed with slings and handaxes.

Badja as Characters
Badja characters posses the following racial traits:

+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Badja are stout and agile, but aren’t quick to adopt new ideas or to take to strangers.

Small Monstrous Humanoid: Badja are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a -4 penalty on grapple checks, and a +4 size bonus on hide checks.

Slow Speed: Badja have a base land speed of 20 feet.

Scent: Badja can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. They can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

Forest Born: Badjas receive a +2 bonus on Survival checks.

Languages: Badjas begin play speaking Common and Gnome. Badja with high Intelligence scores can choose any of the following: Elven, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.

Favored Class: The favored class of a badja is either barbarian or ranger. This choice must be made at 1st level and cannot be changed.

Level Adjustment: +1

-------------------------------------------------------------------

this is from the pathfinder book Fell Beasts II, translated to 3.5.

I like the race.

LordErebus12
2013-04-04, 08:02 PM
Fleetness of Feet
Some are faster than they look.

Prerequisites: Small size, Dexterity 14 or higher
Benefit: base land speed increases by 10 ft.
Normal: base land speed is 20 ft.

Razorpaw
Some Badjas grow longer sharp claws at the ends of their tough fingers.

Prerequisites: Badja only, 1st level only.
Benefit: Gain two primary claw attacks (1d4).

Jodah
2013-04-04, 08:59 PM
There is a real problem offering +2 to two physical traits and -2 to two mental ones. Especially when one is Charisma, a dump stat for most characters.

LordErebus12
2013-04-04, 09:04 PM
There is a real problem offering +2 to two physical traits and -2 to two mental ones. Especially when one is Charisma, a dump stat for most characters.

you are right. pathfinder's ruling on it is that the slower speed offsets this, otherwise its balanced with the halfling. (which has a crap ton of abilities i might add)

LOTRfan
2013-04-04, 09:14 PM
Scent is usually seen as LA +1, and I would probably reclassify these guys as Monstrous Humanoids (though that is just my opinion). Is this balanced towards Pathfinder or standard 3.5e?

LordErebus12
2013-04-04, 09:31 PM
Scent is usually seen as LA +1, and I would probably reclassify these guys as Monstrous Humanoids (though that is just my opinion). Is this balanced towards Pathfinder or standard 3.5e?

3.5; They are monstrous humanoid.

but i dont feel that Scent is a LA +1.

Jodah
2013-04-05, 02:17 PM
Scent gets that because it defeats tons of advantages of invisibility - except, you know, the flatfootedness, the miss chance to hit, and all the reasons it is actually used.

It is still a nifty ability.

Debihuman
2013-04-05, 03:13 PM
They look fine to me. My only concern is with language proliferation. It's always silly to have a racial language if only one race ever uses it. Instead of Badja (which will hardly ever be used) give them Gnome (since presumably gnomes would be able to speak to normal badgers using their speak with animals ability) so it kinda links back to that.

Debby

LordErebus12
2013-04-05, 03:20 PM
They look fine to me. My only concern is with language proliferation. It's always silly to have a racial language if only one race ever uses it. Instead of Badja (which will hardly ever be used) give them Gnome (since presumably gnomes would be able to speak to normal badgers using their speak with animals ability) so it kinda links back to that.

Debby

good idea.