PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Druid Archetypes Question

Kazehito
2013-04-04, 10:30 PM
Hello all, I am fairly new to Pathfinder, although I played D&D 3.0 awhile ago. I'm starting in a campaign and I'm being allowed to jump in it a third level, so that I can be on par with the other players currently in game. Our GM has that that archetypes were allowed, and i was looking into being a Druid. There are a few possible archetypes that I was looking into. My main question is out of the following three, which is the best, a Normal Druid, a Saurian Shaman, or a Pack Lord. I'd appreciate any input, and help in figuring this out. The stats that were rolled for me were 17,16,15,12,12,10, and I was looking into a Half-Elf. Thanks to all in advance for any help.

Chaosvii7
2013-04-04, 10:35 PM
I would say normal Druid. Shamans are kind of lackluster, and IIRC, Pack Lord was fairly weak for what it offered. The idea of having a ton of animal companions is useful for lower levels, but it falls flat later on when you can only split it up so many ways, and a companion below 10th level will be fairly weak.

avr
2013-04-04, 10:39 PM
The saurian shaman is strictly superior to the normal druid. You should be able to find a reptile or dinosaur to do whatever you want to do with wild shape, and venom immunity and a thousand faces are minor enough that any replacement is an improvement.

The pack lord is an odd one. At 3rd level multiple companions are a boon, but fairly quickly quality becomes superior to quantity. If the campaign will be going past ~6th level avoid this archetype.

ScubaGoomba
2013-04-04, 10:40 PM
I DM'd a Saurian Shaman and it worked out fine last time. The character never seemed to be significantly stronger or weaker than the rest of the party. If the game is going to get into higher levels, I would advise against Pack Lord if only because, as Chaosvii said, you won't be able to effectively split those levels. Having a level 2 and level 1 Animal Companion at level 3 is great! Having two level 10 Animal Companions when the party is at level 20 and facing monsters around that level makes for cannon fodder.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-04-04, 10:42 PM
Did you see Menhir Savant? It's my favorite. Flavorful and a nice power boost.

Of your 3, I'd either do normal druid or a Saurian Shaman. Mostly comes down to preference, they're about equal.

Kazehito
2013-04-04, 10:45 PM
One more additional note that may affect how people look at what would be best is that we are on a slow XP track, not sure if that would change any opinions, but just wanted to try and get all information out there.

Hendel
2013-04-05, 08:56 AM
I have a Pack Lord Druid and I really like it. The trick is to not split your animal companions up so much. In fact for the first few levels I just had one. Then I split one level off to have a different type.

I would suggest a flying type to scout out the surrondings using the Improved Empathic Link. If you are in an aquatic campaign, like we are, then an aquatic one to scout out the surrondings, etc.

Just do not split too much or they will not be as effective later on down the road. Of course, you can always release some and rework the number and types of companions down the road.

Since you are on the slow XP track, you will have a long time at lower levels to figure out the best mix.

Blyte
2013-04-05, 09:24 AM
typically you will want to take a shaman archetype if you want early access to a particular wildshape that they can offer (pouncing dinosaurs and huge sized apes wielding shallaeghlis can make for some good damage), and/or you want the domain that they open up to a druid (there are some powerful domains they offer).. if you aren't taking advantage of one of those two boons, you probably want to stay with a base druid or the menhir savant.

grarrrg
2013-04-05, 12:05 PM
The stats that were rolled for me were 17,16,15,12,12,10, and I was looking into a Half-Elf. Thanks to all in advance for any help.

As a Half-Elf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-elf), you'll want to swap out some of your less useful traits. The main one being Multitalented, as you will likely only have levels in 1 class. The other is Adaptability, as Skill Focus is generally a sub-par choice.

*Swap Multitalented
(the ONLY choice is Arcane focused)

*Swap Adaptability
Ancestral Arms, gain the Martial/Exotic Weapon prof of your choice.
Dual Minded, a +2 to Will Saves, not fully Recommended, as Druids have Good Will, and you'll have high WIS.

*Swap Both
Drow Magic, pick up Three light-based 1/day spells (a 0th, a 1st, and a 2nd!)
Water Child, +4 on Swim Checks and can always take 10

Drow Magic is your best overall choice.

Your stat placement greatly depends on how much Wildshaping you plan to be doing later (or NOW with Saurian Totem Transformation).

If you're going straight Caster this gets a bit easier.

You basically have 3 good scores, and 3 meh scores.
For a Caster, but the high ones in WIS > CON > DEX in that order, with the Racial +2 going to WIS.
For a Shaper, make your high scores STR, CON, WIS in some order. Racial Bonus still goes to WIS.

Natural Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/natural-spell---final) is your friend.

For a Shaping focused Druid, you may find Shapeshifting Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/shapeshifting-hunter) to be quite nice. Take _1_ level of Ranger, all the rest in Druid and you get FULL Favored Enemy progression.

Blyte
2013-04-05, 01:08 PM
you could also use the skill focus feat as a pre-req for a eldritch heritage feat that looks attractive to your build.

grarrrg
2013-04-05, 01:39 PM
you could also use the skill focus feat as a pre-req for a eldritch heritage feat that looks attractive to your build.

The problem with Eldritch Heritage for Druids is that the don't have much use for CHA, and you need at least 13 to take the basic version of the feat.
With his stats he'd either have to put one of his 'good' scores in CHA, or use a level up bonus to boost up a 12.

Granted, on a solid Casting focused Druid putting the 15 in CHA and going Eldritch might actually work decently.