PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Aid Another

Chaosvii7
2013-04-05, 12:29 AM
Just wondering, do you use Aid Another a lot? How so do you use it? Have you ever played a character who focused or capitalized on Aid Another? Have you ever noticed how often it comes up in some places in the game?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-05, 12:37 AM
my group uses aid another all the time at any given skill check. when i'm dm i have to regularly arbitrate limits to when they can aid another and how many can otherwise they'd never fail any skill check.

Seharvepernfan
2013-04-05, 04:16 PM
It's generally only useful when a swarm of weaker enemies are attacking a bigger/stronger enemy, like goblins surrounding a dwarf.

99% of the time, a character has something better to do, but it exists as a rule because it's something that someone could do.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-05, 04:17 PM
it is a lot more usable outside of combat where there are skill checks everywhere.

yougi
2013-04-06, 02:13 PM
As NeoPhoenix, I use it on skill checks, although my players don't usually use the term "aid another". It goes somethings like this:

Player 1: I try to open the sarcophagus.
Me (DM): Roll a Strength check.
Player 1: *rolls* 15.
Me: You try, but to no avail.
Player 1: Could use a hand here.
Player 2: I go to the other side and help.
Player 3: I also take a side.
Me: Strength check, all of you.

I also usually make the one with the best roll be the one who's aided, rather than having it be declared first.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-06, 02:23 PM
As NeoPhoenix, I use it on skill checks, although my players don't usually use the term "aid another". It goes somethings like this:

Player 1: I try to open the sarcophagus.
Me (DM): Roll a Strength check.
Player 1: *rolls* 15.
Me: You try, but to no avail.
Player 1: Could use a hand here.
Player 2: I go to the other side and help.
Player 3: I also take a side.
Me: Strength check, all of you.

I also usually make the one with the best roll be the one who's aided, rather than having it be declared first.

my group does the same thing.

killem2
2013-04-06, 05:02 PM

I think it is based on who has the highest strength score in that scenario.

Humble Master
2013-04-06, 05:04 PM
I, like said above, use aid another mainly in skill checks or ability checks. In combat it is more or less useless as there are so many more ways you could aid a person.

ericgrau
2013-04-06, 05:10 PM
It's generally only useful when a swarm of weaker enemies are attacking a bigger/stronger enemy, like goblins surrounding a dwarf.

99% of the time, a character has something better to do, but it exists as a rule because it's something that someone could do.
In combat it is this, and there are similar situations. When I've been in situations where myself or a creature under my control can't really contribute, rather than sitting on my hands there is aid another. And if the person only had a 50:50 shot at whatever you were aiding, you're basically bumping that up by 20%. Doing 1/5th of something when you would be doing nothing isn't too shabby.

Pretty much it's the same way with everyone else who might otherwise be useless in any given situation. It is the ignored option of the strong, and the much beloved option of the weak. It could likewise be a great way to handle mob tactics, rather than having higher level foes steamroll over them no matter how great the number.

elonin
2013-04-06, 08:38 PM
I've used aid another in combat so that our heavy hitter could use power attack. Though recently it was used more with skill checks.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-06, 08:44 PM
I only use it for weak monster swarms unless playing with Trailblazer variants. From the DM side of things, it's usually for crowds of low-HD goblin mooks. From the player side of things, it's usually with conjured ice beasts for their passive damage and a guaranteed 4 aid attempts.