PDA

View Full Version : Movie Superheroes: What are Marvel doing right that DC aren't?

jamewages
2013-04-05, 06:11 AM
News of a Thor 2, Avengers 2, Iron Man 3 plus new Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America ...

DC just Superman, after the Green Lantern failure and Wonder Woman not even making it to the screen ...

What are Marvel doing right? Better characters? Stronger fanbase?

Anterean
2013-04-05, 06:15 AM
Personally I preferred the batman trilogy.

Also this should properly have been in the media discussion sections of the forums.

oppyu
2013-04-05, 06:46 AM
They should have consulted the Bard's guild. Or Tarquin. I bet Tarquin has a stirring array of propaganda theatre pieces.

SavageWombat
2013-04-05, 07:32 AM
What would Elan do if he were DC Comics?

Or is Elan Marvel, which makes Nale DC? Maybe that's the problem.

JusticeZero
2013-04-05, 07:42 AM
Better stories, i'd think. Also, DC big guns tend to have a lot of interplanetary politics baked in, and that doesn't wow people who haven't steeped in it a bit.

FujinAkari
2013-04-05, 09:06 AM
DC just Superman

Batman says hi.

Deepbluediver
2013-04-05, 09:30 AM
Honestly, I think that its a combination of knowing what their audience wants, smarter writing, and better special effects.

Comics in general don't always translate well into a different medium (see various anime-based movies for supporting evidence) because all the unrealistic stuff that happens mandates a big special effects budget, and it still doesn't look realistic, because IT ISN'T!

I haven't seen most of the new Superman movies, but what I liked about the Batman movies is that most of the stuff Batman does is within the realm of human comprehension. Superman catching a plane looks fake no matter how hard they try just because we, as humans living in a real world, don't know what that would look like.

Batman goes toe-to-toe with Bane. Superman flies around shooting missiles becuase a "fight" between him and Luther would take less than a single movie frame. When was the last time Superman actually tried to fight some one with his fists? Superman IV, I think, and we (should) all know how that turned out. So we go to a superman movie, and instead of fighting Doomsday, we get to see Superman welshing on child-support payments. Get the point?

Marvel seems to do a better job of throwing their crazy powerful superhumans at ridiculous badguys and just have things blow up. Its fast, fun, and doesn't make me feel depressed (I'm looking at you, Batman) or question the what/when/how/why (Green Lantern).

I'm feeling a little hesitant about the new Iron Man movies because from some of the trailers, I'm worried we're going to get 80 minutes of Tony sitting around being angsty bookended with a little action, which ISN'T WHAT I GO TO SUPERHERO MOVIES FOR!!!

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-05, 09:38 AM
Sheriff: Locked. OP was a sig spammer shilling wholesale jewelry.