PDA

View Full Version : Spell Storms

Calinero
2013-04-05, 09:59 AM
So, I've run into a dilemma in my current Pathfinder campaign. Part of the setting is that on the frontier there are sporadic 'spell storms'--secretly caused by the influence of Proteans to the north--in which random magic effects coincide with a powerful thunderstorm. Only a few towns are magically protected from these storms.

My problem is that, right now, I haven't really thought about what options my players have if they come across one out on the road, other than hiding under a tree or in a cave. What are some ideas for how players can choose to deal with spellstorms? I want them to have options.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-05, 10:29 AM
would an antimagic field protect them?

Calinero
2013-04-05, 11:35 AM
Yes, that would probably protect them from everything but the most powerful storms, or some of the indirect effects of storms--example, it would protect them from a fireball, but not from a nearby tree that got knocked over by a fireball. However, none of them are high enough level to have access to one.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-05, 11:37 AM
what level pcs are we talking about

Gandariel
2013-04-05, 11:39 AM
Party is asked to transfer Item XX from city A to city B.
Party is given a special item (a dagger? a staff? whatever) which protects from spell storms in a 30 feet radius.

One in the party keeps it, and the party can travel fine.
Now, the party is ambushed by a group of (somehow spellstorm-immune) monsters/enemies.

They'll have to fight them by all staying in the area of the item to avoid damage, or go out of it anyways and risk being blasted or something

dascarletm
2013-04-05, 11:39 AM
Yes, that would probably protect them from everything but the most powerful storms, or some of the indirect effects of storms--example, it would protect them from a fireball, but not from a nearby tree that got knocked over by a fireball. However, none of them are high enough level to have access to one.

They could Hire a "guide." Which is either an expert with UMD and a scroll, a wizard or other caster, or some monster with it as a SLA that isn't such a bad guy after all.

Cost: Standard cost from PHB for the service, or ye-old side quest.

laeZ1
2013-04-05, 12:21 PM
My problem is that, right now, I haven't really thought about what options my players have if they come across one out on the road, other than hiding under a tree or in a cave. I often find that thinking of solutions for my players is a waste, as they often think of different solutions, or avoid the problem alltogether. That being said...
What are some ideas for how players can choose to deal with spellstorms? I want them to have options.
Off the top of my head, Antimagic fields, (maybe dispel magic?), energy transformation field, control weather, any sort of leomon's magic hut (you know what I mean), perhaps endure elements, or going into the ethereal plane.

If your party is low on spellpower, then I really like the idea Gandariel presented.

Calinero
2013-04-05, 12:42 PM
The party is currently level 8. I think I might start introducing methods of fighting off the storms like you guys said, but those would require higher level spellcasting than I was planning on having common. I originally was planning on resisting the storms being limited to a sort of plot device type artifact, but looking at it now it should probably be easier--assuming that you have high level magic, anyway.

laeZ1
2013-04-05, 01:25 PM
I originally was planning on resisting the storms being limited to a sort of plot device type artifact,
If that's the feeling you want, go for it. But in return, I would suggest you make the storms feel unaproachable, and perhaps predictable, so the party is able to avoid them if they keep their wits about them. Cause their week-long journey to take twice as long to say out of the storms they see in the distance. Get them into the habbit of this by either having a guide instruct them to do so, or tell the ranger/druid/knowledge nature/survival person of the group how dangerous it is, and firmly push them to instruct the party around the storm.

If they go into the storm, punish them. You said the storm would cause random magical effects? Have it slowly turn them to stone. 1 month later, a kindly spellcaster travels the road, and returns them to their original form, then lectures them about the dangers of the storm, and how lucky they were that they were only turned to stone.