PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Focus Fix (PF, PEACH)

Ailowynn
2013-04-05, 01:32 PM
I had an idea to change up weapon focus (and I suppose weapon spec too), seeing as it really isn't as good as it should be (low bonus, useless at high levels, blah blah blah). Anyway, let me know what you all think:

Weapon Focus(Combat)
Choose a specific weapon (you may also choose unarmed strike, or ray, if you are a spellcaster, as your weapon for this feat). You are particularly skilled with that weapon.
Prerequisite: proficiency with selected weapon, Base Attack Bonus +1
Benefit: you gain a +1 bonus on all attack rolls with this weapon. This bonus increases by 1 when your base attack bonus reaches +3, and every three thereafter (6, 9, 11, and so on). Add half again (round down) to this bonus if you are wielding the weapon two-handed.
Special: you can take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Instead, each time you take this feat, it applies to a different weapon.

My thinking here is that similar feats (Power Attack, Toughness, etc.) scale like this. The added bonus for two handed fighting could be a bit much though.

Another possibility that occurred to me is to make the feat apply to a specific weapon group or exotic weapon (ie Martial) or one of the fighter's weapon groups—taking a leaf out of SWSE's book.

eftexar
2013-04-05, 01:38 PM
I think a scaling bonus it too much. Armor is already too irrelevant, let alone with a +6 to hit from a single feat. I would combine weapon focus with weapon specialization and then, like you were thinking about, make it apply to weapon groups.

edit: This would leave the feat more useful and eliminate feat tax without ballooning statistics.

Ailowynn
2013-04-05, 02:26 PM
I think a scaling bonus it too much. Armor is already too irrelevant, let alone with a +6 to hit from a single feat. I would combine weapon focus with weapon specialization and then, like you were thinking about, make it apply to weapon groups.

edit: This would leave the feat more useful and eliminate feat tax without ballooning statistics.

I think scaling is the only way to make it worthwhile. A flat bonus to hit wont help much. I could tone the bonus down, I suppose. Maybe +1 per 5 points of BAB, with a max +4.

And it's not a bad idea to merge the two feats, but I would like to make Weapon Focus its own, useful, feat.

eftexar
2013-04-05, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I think that is more reasonable. +6 is just a little out of line for a feat.

kinem
2013-04-05, 02:45 PM
I don't see a problem with the original feat. Are people not taking it? Maybe +2 would be OK but that seems high.

All else being equal, a flat bonus just as useful at high levels. Each +1 adds a 5% chance to hit.

The only reason it wouldn't be as useful is if the attacker hits a lot more often at high levels. Hitting 85% of the time instead of 80% is not as impressive as hitting 25% of the time instead of 20%. That does happen with martial types, but that's where iterative attacks are supposed to come in, since the additional attacks hit less often.

Yitzi
2013-04-05, 02:56 PM
I think scaling is the only way to make it worthwhile. A flat bonus to hit wont help much. I could tone the bonus down, I suppose. Maybe +1 per 5 points of BAB, with a max +4.

Personally, I feel that even scaling won't do it; it's a single-weapon feat, and its advanced versions are the closest thing fighters have to a unique class feature. I think it's an excellent candidate for heavy feat synergy effects.