PDA

View Full Version : Bard4/Paladin8/...

laeZ1
2013-04-05, 01:36 PM
Mystic Theurge 8.

Who's got two thumbs and is looking forward to his next campaign?

<- (this guy)

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-05, 01:40 PM
:smalleek:

:eek:

Bard 4/Paladin 8/MT 8?

What kind of flavour are you going for with this character?

Zaq
2013-04-05, 01:41 PM
We used to joke about the theoretical Bard/Paladin/MT. What possessed you to play one? And what do you plan to gain from it?

laeZ1
2013-04-05, 01:45 PM
My friend plays a sorc/druid mystic theurge, and I wanted to play one even less optimized. Also, I really like everything about the bard class, and ever since getting the Spell Compendium, I like the paladin spells.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-05, 01:47 PM
My friend plays a sorc/druid mystic theurge, and I wanted to play one even less optimized. Also, I really like everything about the bard class, and ever since getting the Spell Compendium, I like the paladin spells.

If you really like it that much, might I suggest a Divine Bard with the Paladin prestige class?

(both Class variants are presented in Unearthed Arcana and the d20 SRD).

Waker
2013-04-05, 01:48 PM
Are you here to ask for build advice or are you attempting to brag?
Assuming the former, you might find the Devoted Performer feat to be helpful, as well as the Harmonius Knight acf from Champions of Valor.
While Bard an Paladin can be made to work together, Mystic Theurge is a terrible option. Low hp, skills, bab and the fact that both classes have weaker spellcasting. It would be much more effective to focus on Bard while taking the occasional Paladin level. Alternatively you could go the Bard/Crusader route.

laeZ1
2013-04-05, 01:52 PM
Are you here to ask for build advice or are you attempting to brag?
Assuming the former, you might find the Devoted Performer feat to be helpful, as well as the Harmonius Knight acf from Champions of Valor.
While Bard an Paladin can be made to work together, Mystic Theurge is a terrible option. Low hp, skills, bab and the fact that both classes have weaker spellcasting. It would be much more effective to focus on Bard while taking the occasional Paladin level. Alternatively you could go the Bard/Crusader route.

Totally bragging about my low optimization, hense the :smallcool:.

The group I play with generally don't optimize, so it's safe to play funny character builds. Devoted performer and Harmonius Knight... those wouldn't happen to be the feats that let my bard abilities stack with paladin levels, and my smite stack with bard, would it? Because I was trying to remember those.

Flickerdart
2013-04-05, 01:54 PM
Harmonious Knight does nothing for you, because it just gives you lamer versions of abilities you already have as a bard. You want Initiate of Milil, though.

Evard
2013-04-05, 02:34 PM
Hmmm the roleplaying aspects are great tho...

First was a bardic idiot who stole the king's crown when the king foolishly bent down.

Was told to either die by the noose or serve in the military.

During a battle the bard was saved by divine intervention, he becomes a paladin to thank the deity.

Eventually grows to old to wear plate mail and swing a big ol sword and his artistic touch has left him... So he goes into learning more about casting, perhaps he can be a good servent in that regard... Perhaps becomes a priest or hermit?

KillingAScarab
2013-04-05, 06:47 PM
The group I play with generally don't optimize, so it's safe to play funny character builds.Good on you for finding a DM to support that.

Devoted performer and Harmonius Knight... those wouldn't happen to be the feats that let my bard abilities stack with paladin levels, and my smite stack with bard, would it? Because I was trying to remember those.Devoted performer (from Complete Adventurer) only lets bard levels stack with paladin levels for smite evil damage and number of uses of bardic music per day. However, you can freely multiclass. I remember seeing some silly bard/paladin builds for Neverwinter Nights which assume people are switching between lawful and nonlawful alignments constantly; devoted performer lets you be lawful and continue advancing as a bard. You need both smite evil and bardic music before you can take it, so you need to change alignments at least once.

'course, since you're not looking for optimization here, you could always choose a variant paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny). Paladin of freedom or paladin of slaughter from Unearthed Arcana would work with bard without alignment changes. Same for Dragon Magazine #310's Sentinel, Avenger, Incarnate, and Anarch, if you have access to the magazine, or at least the "Champions of the Divine: Paladins of other alignments" article found within it.

But, then you would probably lose access to all of the spells you saw in Spell Compendium. Each of those variants has changes to their spell list from the default one, and it would be a headache for a DM to approve each spell one-by-one.