PDA

View Full Version : Free Pathfinder Offline Database Program

Kyle Sharp
2013-04-05, 02:14 PM
Hey, everyone. Long time forum lurker, first post.

I wrote a Pathfinder Database Program a while back, and I recently received a message on the Paizo site that I should post it here. It's nothing special, but it's a bit faster than looking stuff up in the book or doing searches on the web, though I have all 3 on hand during games. It contains spells, items, NPCs/monster stats, feats, and traits.

It can be downloaded (for free, a'course) from here. (kpsharp.com/downloads/Pathfinder Database.zip) Just find the .exe and double click!

The information is pulled from d20pfsrd.com's databases, so thanks to them for those. You can update the information by downloading the appropriate databases in .csv format and dropping them in the same directory, overwriting the previous ones. I included the most recent versions as of this writing. If d20pfsrd.com ever changes their format of the data, it'll break, but I can fix it without much trouble.

I can't guarantee the program will work on a Mac, given the fact Apple stopped allowing Java updates after Java 6, and it was written with the Java 7 API in mind, but it should. If any Mac owners could report back here on that, that'd be appreciated.

Any and all constructive criticism is appreciated.

gorfnab
2013-04-05, 03:58 PM
Got this error message when I doubleclicked on the exe:

Java Virtual Machine Launcher
Could not find the main class: SpellDriver. Program will exit.

Edit: Updated to current version of Java. Now works.

Sylthia
2013-04-05, 04:06 PM
Should come in handy, I just need to get Java. I have all the current Pathfinder books except Bestiary 3, but it's nice to have them in one spot, instead of lugging a dozen books around everywhere.

Chained Birds
2013-04-05, 08:49 PM
I wish I could get it in my IPad... Would really be handy.

Kyle Sharp
2013-04-05, 11:27 PM
If there was enough interest, I might could be convinced to rebuild it for the mobile/tablet platform.

Lupus753
2013-04-05, 11:30 PM
My computer says it is not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous.

Kyle Sharp
2013-04-06, 12:50 AM
It's not. I know that means nothing coming from me, since I'm peddling it.

Psyren
2013-04-06, 05:25 AM
I like it; a bit barebones but it does the job. A search function of some kind would be nice, though I suppose you can just search/filter the source files, get the name (or level) of something you want to look up and then bring it up in the database that way.

It looks like in the magic items section you only have specific (named) items, rather than also including properties like Seeking or Holy. I'm not sure if any of those make it into the PFSRD's export but I have a hunch those kinds of things are looked up more often than, say, a Quick Block Buckler's stats.

Also, I have no idea if they export any of the third party stuff to those csv files, but if they do I'd love if psionics made it in there.

Larkas
2013-04-06, 07:36 AM
Aw, man, this is something I sorely needed a little while back, and now I have no way of testing it! I should be back home in a week or two, and I'll let you know my thoughts about it. But regardless, I love the idea!

Also, I have no idea if they export any of the third party stuff to those csv files, but if they do I'd love if psionics made it in there.

You know, I'd never have guessed you liked psionics all that much, Psyren! :smallbiggrin:

RagnaroksChosen
2013-04-06, 07:00 PM
Noob question:

How did you get the d20pfsrd data in csv format? and do they have other formats?

Kyle Sharp
2013-04-07, 02:18 AM
You simply go to the database page, such as the spell database one, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spells-db) and then click the Export To: csv option. There are plenty of other formats listed right there, but the program I wrote looks specifically for the .csv one.