PDA

View Full Version : Spell thematics!

Ramshack
2013-04-05, 04:24 PM
Just curious what are everyone's favorite theme for the spell thematics feat? I liked the idea of smoke where all my spells would smoke from the current location and form whatever spell effect I was casting

Nettlekid
2013-04-05, 04:38 PM
I've always liked the idea of like, digital-looking things. If you've seen Code Lyoko, like that. The way that first everything is sketched out with contour lines, and then filled it, and when things disappear they do so in little squares. I think that's really cool, especially for Summoning spells and Illusion spells, or anything where things just appear out of thin air. If anyone here watches the anime Fairy Tail, the animation effect of Take Over is kind of what I'm thinking of.

Also drills.

Ramshack
2013-04-05, 05:04 PM
That sounds awesome. I never considered a digital style animation for D&D. I've never seen the anime but someone literally just told me about it in my office today lol

ArcturusV
2013-04-05, 05:12 PM
It's one of those things I've never really spent a feat on. As far as I know, the rules originally let you do that right out the gate.

Though I did have a mage who would tell people that "effects are for amateurs, real mages don't waste time with such petty considerations!" and all his spells were cast with just a snap of the fingers and "yoink, it is done".

I've also had mages and clerics more inclined towards the demonic side of things spawning all their spells by opening up rifts. So my Demonically inclined Wizard casting a fireball opened a small rift in front of him, giving people a glimpse of the abyss, from which the fireball projectile came flying out.

Ramshack
2013-04-05, 05:23 PM
True as a DM and player I've always allowed great liberties on spell effects. Let people the have the flavor they want for their character. However this time I'm using it for the +1 CL it gives and started thinking of what fun effects people have dreamed up :)

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-05, 05:32 PM
i like scythe wielding reapers. the magic missiles look like little cloaked figures that attack the target with its scythe. a gate spell would look like a large reaper tearing open a hole in space. stuff like that.

Blackhawk748
2013-04-05, 05:44 PM
I tend to have a running theme with my mages, i had a Dragon mage whose spells all looked like dragons, for example a Scorching Ray (which was changed to acid) looked like a roaring black dragon skull, or a mage who had all of his spells look like ravens or flocks of ravens

Gildedragon
2013-04-05, 06:00 PM
For myself I am fond of illumian wizarchivists, so my theme tends to be symbols.

But I suggested elsewhere: Broadway or Showbiz to be a great theme. All the spells look theatrical and perhaps somewhat artificial.

Tokuhara
2013-04-05, 06:36 PM
I had a Wizard who took spell thematics, but since he was already an adult when he was sent to the Wizard College to help balance paperwork (he had maxed out ranks in Profession: Accountant), his spells were designed with a very business-theme (fireball was a stack of papers that exploded in a mess of unorganized files). His summons all wore business suits, his Teleports were elevators, and his Meteor Storm was a rain of flaming filing cabinets. Given the chance, I'd dust off the bureaucrat wizard again.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-05, 07:21 PM
I had a Wizard who took spell thematics, but since he was already an adult when he was sent to the Wizard College to help balance paperwork (he had maxed out ranks in Profession: Accountant), his spells were designed with a very business-theme (fireball was a stack of papers that exploded in a mess of unorganized files). His summons all wore business suits, his Teleports were elevators, and his Meteor Storm was a rain of flaming filing cabinets. Given the chance, I'd dust off the bureaucrat wizard again.

Now that's just mean. It almost pushes the line of PvP, depending on how long the wait is, and how annoying the elevator music gets.:smalltongue:

Tokuhara
2013-04-05, 07:28 PM
Now that's just mean. It almost pushes the line of PvP, depending on how long the wait is, and how annoying the elevator music gets.:smalltongue:

He single-handedly stopped a charging Orc Barbarian with a Profession: Bureaucrat roll, saying that, "[The Orc] Hadn't filed the correct paperwork to pound his face into mush and had to talk with [the wizard's] supervisor to get the proper paperwork." Confused, the orc stopped his charge, turned around, and walked away, confusion taking the better of him.

Winds
2013-04-05, 07:35 PM
When I considered the idea most recently, I thought of the theme 'lines'.

Magic missile, orb of <whatever> and so on would be a line or series of lines with color coding for the effect (or not, since part of the feat's purpose is to make it harder to ID the spell). Buff and debuff spells would be a line or several lines wrapping around the target, then being absorbed to kick the effect into gear. Summon and teleport effects would be a complicated form of Celtic knot, which would open to reveal the monster or person brought there by the spell.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-05, 08:29 PM
He single-handedly stopped a charging Orc Barbarian with a Profession: Bureaucrat roll, saying that, "[The Orc] Hadn't filed the correct paperwork to pound his face into mush and had to talk with [the wizard's] supervisor to get the proper paperwork." Confused, the orc stopped his charge, turned around, and walked away, confusion taking the better of him.

[Cast Calm Emotions]

"I am displeased to inform you that you do not possess clearance to use deadly force during this encounter. Please return once you have completed Violent Action Authorization Request Form A-9. It may take anywhere from 3-12 business days for your request to be processed. In the meantime, please refrain from any hostile action. Failure to do so may result in fines up to and including your immortal soul."

Tokuhara
2013-04-05, 08:42 PM
[Cast Calm Emotions]

"I am displeased to inform you that you do not possess clearance to use deadly force during this encounter. Please return once you have completed Violent Action Authorization Request Form A-9. It may take anywhere from 3-12 business days for your request to be processed. In the meantime, please refrain from any hostile action. Failure to do so may result in fines up to and including your immortal soul."

I LOL'd so hard when I read this. I am so using this as my verbal component for Calm Emotions.

I may have to open a thread for the Wizard Bureaucrat spell skins