PDA

View Full Version : Hellhounds for Hire - IC

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-05, 10:33 PM
The port at Ishikawa is a mass of ships and refugees; every day the sun rises to reveal fresh sails on the horizon, and every dusk the sun sets on more and more refugees making their bed beneath the stars, the few inns they could hope to afford long since full.

Ishikawa is one of the last ports still open to foreigners, and most there expect the local lord to decree otherwise within a matter of days. For now, however, the tide of human traffic continues unabated, and the three latest foreigners - not refugees, travelling as they are from a part of the mainland yet untouched by the war - are quickly swallowed up in the crowds.

Only a few hundred yards away, Kosei is also arriving in the crowded port city, his ornate robes covered in dust from the road, and his once-heavy purse more than a little lightened from his recent travels, working his way north and away from his father's former lands.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-06, 05:43 AM
Bailin doesn’t really like being in crowded places but he doesn’t let it show. He will just have to be even more careful than usual and at least with his imposing height he can see over the head of the other crowd. He takes extra care to interpose himself between the wave of people rushing by and Petals trying not to make it seem on purpose. Lets find a place to eat and perhaps a place to sleep for starters. We will need our strength for tomorrows journey and we could use the time to ask around for news. As an afterthought he adds Let’s try not to get lost shall we?... this place couldn’t be any more crowded.

jamieth
2013-04-06, 10:37 AM
Petals nimly jumped down to the solid ground and followed her newly-found... Friend? Ally? "Companion" would do, for now, I suppose..., feeling grateful for his efforts in clearing the way for her. Not that she really needed it, but it still was a nice thing to do on his part... "Don't worry", the girl giggled, "It's not easy to lose sight of you! But there sure is a lot of people... I wonder if inns have any rooms left..." there also was the question, of course, of whether the few coins left in her purse would buy one of said rooms, even should there be one available, but Petals didn't let that concern her. If it would be enough, if would be enough, if not, well, she'll just have to earn some more. And, come to think of it, it's not like one coin would make a difference, she thought, taking a small detour to buy some fruits. The sailors' food was nourishing, she had to gave that, and probably good for storing, but it sure lacked variety... it pretty much lacked taste, too. She carefully took a bite out of unfamiliar fruit, than chewed on it with delight written on her face. "Um, tasty! Here, you should try it, too!" she handed the fruits to both of her sojourners.

Scholar23
2013-04-06, 11:37 AM
"Well lets just see what we can find. Anyway I want to see if anyone knows of the emblem" Ru said as he began to push his way through the crowd after them. His kanabo was atracting alot of attention since it was just as long as his body and had been straped acrossed his back. "Gods I'm hungry, I couldn't keep a meal down the entire trip" he continued as he walked along and finaly reached the edge of the crowd. He laugh though as he watched petals standing behind Balin as the crowd walked by them. Maybe things will get better ... he as he chewed on the fruit three petals had given him

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-06, 12:36 PM
Kosei sighed in disgust. There were so many people here, commoners crowding every foot of the city. Not that he looked much better, it was intolerable, how far he had fallen. The thought of an honorable death flashed across Kosei's mind for the hundredth time, but he quickly discarded it. Father had ordered him to live. Death wasn't an option anymore.

As low as this place was though, it wouldn't hurt to rent a room for the night before seeing if he could find a ship to take him away from Ryouta's reach. And a good meal would be nice, common food could only sustain a body, not nourish it. It was amazing what peasants could survive on.

Kosei quickly glanced around the front gates, searching for someone who didn't look like a refugee. His eyes settled on the first man with clothes that weren't completely filthy. He would do.

Without hesitation, Kosei moved toward him, taking long strides and glaring at anyone who didn't step out of the way. The crowd parted, and Kosei reached the man quickly.

"Where can I find a decent meal, and a bed for the night?" Kosei made the question sound like a command as he glared down imperiously at the local.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-06, 05:54 PM
The man Kosei addressed started to scoff, then glanced away nervously, uncertain how to act in the presence of a man so clearly a noble, but equally clearly down on his luck.

"There are rooms yet to be had up the hill, away from the docks... but the refugees have claimed so many of them, already... still, I think your lordship may find some that are out of their price range."

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-07, 11:44 AM
"Very well." Kosei inclined his head slightly in thanks as he spoke, then turned and strode toward the hill, ignoring the crowd. As he approached the hill he began to scan the buildings, looking for the most prosperous inn he could find.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-07, 11:48 AM
Some of the buildings appear nicer than others; the most elegant of them is situated a little ways away from the town proper, overlooking a cove a mile or so from the docks.

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-07, 12:01 PM
Kosei smiled when he saw the building. Finally, something of quality. A long bath to wash off the dirt and dust of the road would be heavenly. He started the short walk it would take to reach it, his mind focused on the pleasures of a hot meal and a warm soak.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-07, 03:35 PM
The crowds thinned as Kosei approached the building; as he neared the final path up to it, a couple of guards stood blocking the way. They traded an uncertain glance at the sight of Kosei, but eventually nodded, stepping aside and letting him pass.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-08, 12:12 PM
Where too now? Bailin thinks. It has been a very long while since I was last here and many things have changed but some principals must still hold true. If memory serves me correct the more expensive inns are up the hill with the cheapest ones being next to the port. He would like to avoid both so the others in between should serve well. Let’s just hope we can find a resting place or else it’s either the expensive ones or out in the streets and he wouldn’t like for Petals to have to sleep outside. "Ok we should try to secure lodging; we will start from the middle section of the town and work our way up… There must be some rooms available but I doubt that many of the cheap ones are. As for the money… well tomorrow we should start looking for a way to travel and get some cash flowing in at the same time".

jamieth
2013-04-08, 03:22 PM
"Are the inns that expensive that expensive here?" Petals asked curiously, than quickly added, "well, with that many people around, they might be... back home, I earned more than enough for a night and a meal with my dancing, though. Don't know which dances are popular here, though..." she half addressed her companions, half simply thought aloud, "Maybe I'll just show them some tricks on the tightrope, people usually like watching it..."

Scholar23
2013-04-08, 09:33 PM
"Well lets get moving then." he said as he walked towards the closet inn. Rather shabby looking and a bit run down he hoped this one was not yet full. Ducking his head and dipping his shoulder down to aviod his kanab from touching the doorframe he waited till his eyes adjusted to the dark interior of the inn.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-09, 02:11 AM
The innkeeper glances up as Ru stepped inside, blinking in surprise at the sight of the Kanobo before speaking in a brusque tone. "One room?"

jamieth
2013-04-09, 02:27 PM
"Well, we'd take three", Petals says, slipping under Ru's arm and giving the innkeeper a smile which, unfortunately, comes off as whimsical rather than charming, "But if you only have one, that'll have to do, I guess. Right?" she turns to her sojourners.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-09, 02:58 PM
What the young lady said my fellow innkeeper.. Bailin executes a smile while saying do. He had no natural talent for befriending people but he had train a lot as a child and well he hoped that would do.and i am sure that your prices are as good as this fine establishment is. He hoped his words weren’t to stiff as he said a phrase he had practiced countless of times.

diplomacy roll for better pricing [roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-09, 03:56 PM
The innkeeper appears somewhat taken aback by the compliment, before resuming his gruff demeanour. "Flattery will get you everywhere, anywhere else. Around here we've got too many people and too few beds. It'll be thirty for a room, or eighty if all you've got is that Mainland rubbish they call money."

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-09, 04:28 PM
Kosei's face briefly twisted into a dismayed grimace when it looked like the guards would block his path. Do I look that unkempt? He looked down at his robe, briefly. It was nearly as filthy as the garments those peasants had been wearing. It seems I'll need to have my robe cleaned, too.

As soon as the guards stepped aside Kosei nodded to them and continued through, as though he hadn't been stopped at all, and made his way calmly up the path to the inn.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-10, 11:08 PM
The rest of Kosei's trek up to the inn continues uninterrupted; up close, the building has a stately and elegant design to it, and the gardens around have been well-kept. It's far from the level of luxury Kosei is used to, but undoubtedly the best this community has to offer.

jamieth
2013-04-11, 12:01 AM
Eighty coins... well, that much Petals had - though it was more or less everything she had. It also was rather more than a room in such a place would cost back home... but than again, it wasn't back home. She looked at Xun inquiringly. Is this a fair price? Too expensive? Way too expensive?

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-11, 12:28 AM
Bailin couldnt help but notice Petals looking his way seeking advice but he had none to give, after all its had been nearly 15 years since the last time he was here and even then his sifu took care of the bills. He had money for perhaps 3 nights here. He turned to the innkeeper My good man I am prety sure you can do a better price than that, say what if you lower the price we for as long as we stay here, will for free, assist you if anyone starts asking for trouble.

OOC: Sense motive to see if we are being overpriced [roll0] If we are not and that is a fair price my char will say to Petals and Ru in a low voice ICC: I am afraid the prices are what they are. We need to conserve money until we can start making some while we travel. As much as I would like for us to stay in one room we should realy get two so we can actualy get some rest. Ru and I can sleep together. OOC: if the innkeeper is trying to cheat us out of our money then ICC: at the innkeeper Oh forgive my rudeness we havent yet being introduced. My name is Xun Bailin Qiang,it might be the first time for my companions visiting this fine countr, but its isnt so for me. I Realy think that we can do better with that pricing, after all its for our common Benefit.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-11, 07:56 PM
The price is certainly extravagant just for the quality of the inn, but the innkeeper doesn't seem to be bluffing; more likely, the glut of refugees seeking shelter has raised the price.

On the currency difference: In theory, the Mainland money should be worth more - but there's a massive influx of it, and with the Mongolian invasion and recent wars, the Chinese currency isn't all that stable anymore.

The man doesn't seem particularly moved by Bailin's arguments, but he does glance up at the offer of help. "You three know your way around a fight?" he asks, eyes lingering on their weapons.

Scholar23
2013-04-11, 08:19 PM
"You think I carry this around for looks?" Ru said, barly masking his temper "We have the money, but if there is a way we can pay you other wise it would be appericated."

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-12, 05:34 AM
The inn wasn't perfect, Kosei noted, but then, he hadn't truly expected it to be. The gardens, though, were lovely; he'd have to enjoy them after his bath. Kosei felt his steps begin to quicken as he moved up the path, and forcibly restrained himself from moving past a stately walk until he reached the door. He sighed briefly, not having a servant to open it for him wouldn't make quite the right impression. No help for it though.

Kosei opened the door and strode inside, his posture and bearing regal, and utterly controlled.

jamieth
2013-04-13, 05:04 AM
[QUOTE=FreakyCheeseMan;15074813The man doesn't seem particularly moved by Bailin's arguments, but he does glance up at the offer of help. "You three know your way around a fight?" he asks, eyes lingering on their weapons.[/QUOTE]
"Well, you could say so, I guess", Petals smiles, twisting her hands in a peculiar fashion. As she does, two slightly curved daggers fall out of their holders inside her dresses sleeves and into her arms, "And does it change the price in any way?"

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-13, 06:51 AM
Bailin raises an eye at the display of Petal's skill with the daggers. Now that he didnt expect. Yes as you can see we are all quite skilled.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-13, 03:31 PM
The lady who greets Kosei as he enters either has more decorum than the guards, or was forewarned about his approach. "Hello, sir, and welcome to the Ishikawa Rose; have you come seeking a room, or do you intend to visit with one of our other guests?"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-13, 03:33 PM
The inkeeper's eyes follow Petal's daggers quickly before he nods. "It might remove the price entirely, if you're willing to do some work. Could be something extra in it for you, even..."

The man leans forward, a conspiratorial note in his voice. "You want to help out your fellow Mainlanders, don't you?"

Scholar23
2013-04-13, 06:16 PM
"Depends on the mainlander, why, what would have happened if such a person would need help from several people in our areas of expertise" Ru asked as he stared at the man.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-14, 04:00 AM
Bailin stays quite for now slowly nodding the innkeeper to go on. He would need to know more to decide.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-14, 06:11 PM
"Isn't one mainlander, it's all of them... all of them trying to come in at this port, anyway. Some of us have been doing all we can to keep the docks open - refugees don't have much, but they bring some money in, and it's not like they stay here too long, anyway. Some of the neighbouring lords have a problem with it, though... they've been trying to get the docks here closed just like everywhere else."

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-14, 06:18 PM
"A room, as well as a bath and a meal, would be appreciated." Kosei's mouth quirked upwards into a semblance of a smile as his eyes flicked down at the hem of his robe. "It seems I need new robes, too."

Scholar23
2013-04-14, 06:19 PM
"Then whats the job, tell us then explain it. How else can we decide if we want it" Ru said as he sat down in one of the few chiars in the room.

jamieth
2013-04-15, 02:32 AM
"So... not very nice people, these lords of yours, are they?" Petals asks with a glint in her eyes, "In that case, why, I guess something needs to be done about it... do you have anything in particular in mind?"

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-15, 02:42 PM
Bailin just nods the innkeeper to go on...

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-16, 03:33 PM
The woman at the desk bows to Kosei before continuing. "Of course, sir, we will be delighted to accommodate you." She glances down for a moment before continuing, a nervous note in her voice. "There is, of course, the issue of payment.."

Closer to the docks, the innkeeper nods to the other three. "So, these lords have been sending hired muscle down to pester the harbormaster... some of the local businessmen will pay good money to see him protected, and to... ensure he isn't cowed by such base threats upon his person."

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-17, 06:46 PM
Kosei inclined his head slightly. "Naturally." Even if it takes everything I have left, I will live well for at least one more night. Kosei thought bitterly as he replied. I will have this.

Scholar23
2013-04-17, 07:06 PM
Closer to the docks, the innkeeper nods to the other three. "So, these lords have been sending hired muscle down to pester the harbormaster... some of the local businessmen will pay good money to see him protected, and to... ensure he isn't cowed by such base threats upon his person."

"Gives us the name and the place then, I would perfer to have this done befor dinner" siad Ru as he stood up and walked towards the man and continued "But be warn if your are proven a liar ....." he let the threat hang in the air as he waited for a response.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-18, 12:59 AM
As Ru said we will need a quick briefing. Bailin thought that it sounded like the righteous thing to do not to mention that it would prove beneficial to themselfs as well. He just hoped there was not anything more to this...

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-20, 04:50 PM
The innkeepers inclined his head slightly, showing no reaction to Ru's threat. "I promise, all I seek is that this harbour be kept open to mainland ships."

Up the hill, a man appears in the doorway leading to the rest of the end. "There's no need for that, Inyera... I believe that we can host a guest of this importance free of charge. You are Takagawa Kosei, are you not?"

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-20, 05:13 PM
Kosei turned to face the newcomer, his left hand reaching up to the bridge of his nose to push up his spectacles. "It seems news has proceeded me, then." As Kosei spoke his right hand moved upwards to meet his meet his left elbow as it descended. His balance shifted, slightly to his right foot, and he locked eyes with the man, weighing him steadily.

I'll enter Erode the Banks.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-21, 07:38 PM
The man raises his hands in a conciliatory gesture, a broad smile on his face. "No need for that, I'm sure - I was a friend of your father's, it grieved me to hear what befell him."

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-21, 07:43 PM
Sense Motive (Unless you already rolled it, in which case ignore this.): [roll0]

Kosei quickly rocked his brain, trying to remember if he had seen the man before, or heard his voice. "You must forgive me if I'm overcautious, the past few days have not been kind to my clan."

Scholar23
2013-04-21, 07:45 PM
The innkeepers inclined his head slightly, showing no reaction to Ru's threat. "I promise, all I seek is that this harbour be kept open to mainland ships."

"Then answer me this. Where is he and how do we prove our intentions?" Ru said as he rolled his eyes.

jamieth
2013-04-21, 11:39 PM
Petals keeps silent for a while, knowing she isn't really cut to be a bodyguard. (That is, she can handle the fighting part, most likely, but the bodyguard must look imposing to prevent the fighting in the first place... and that is something her companions are much better at.)

ArchangelAzrael
2013-04-22, 01:40 AM
Bailin thinks that Ru is rushing the situation but he says nothing. He would prefer if they had more information as he doesn’t like not knowing all the facts before making a decision but they don’t have such an option in this matter. He tries to make his voice sound friendly, “So what you are suggesting if I am not mistaken is protecting the person of interest correct?”

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-30, 05:59 PM
Sense Motive (Unless you already rolled it, in which case ignore this.): [roll0]

Kosei quickly rocked his brain, trying to remember if he had seen the man before, or heard his voice. "You must forgive me if I'm overcautious, the past few days have not been kind to my clan."

He seems honest.

"Indeed, they have not... though, recent days have been kind to few. Though... perhaps there is a way we might make our respective futures a little brighter. We'll be in the private dining quarters - bring us drinks," he finishes, the last comment addressed to the girl manning the desk.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-30, 06:02 PM
The inkeeper nods to Bailin before addressing Ru. "He's already expecting someone - we've been offering him protection for the past few weeks, but until today we haven't had any real fighters, and most of them have run off as soon as the Nobles' enforces have shown up. You can find the man's cabin off that way, on that little spit of land pressed into the harbour, but you should have a few hours yet - they usually bother him around sundown, otherwise he's too hard to find."

Lord Ruby34
2013-04-30, 06:25 PM
Kosei relaxed visibly at the man's words. They held the ring of truth, and Kosei knew that he needed allies. He made up his mind quickly.

"I have always found that a good meal relieves tension."

Exiting Erode the Banks.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-05-01, 07:14 AM
Bailin relaxes a little as the innkeeper finishes his story. It doesnt sound too difficult and it would be the right thing to do. He turns to his companions I think we should help, what are your thoughts on the matter? We can grab a bite and be on our way if you agree

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-01, 01:31 PM
Kosei relaxed visibly at the man's words. They held the ring of truth, and Kosei knew that he needed allies. He made up his mind quickly.

"I have always found that a good meal relieves tension."

He nods, leading the way deeper into the inn, his tone informal but polite. "Your father often spoke of your skill with a blade... tell me, have you kept up your training?"

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-01, 03:01 PM
Kosei raised an eyebrow quizzically as he followed the man. "Of course. But I'm less interested in my skills than I am your knowledge of my father." Kosei's tone was confident and cool, but not disrespectful.

jamieth
2013-05-01, 04:17 PM
Bailin relaxes a little as the innkeeper finishes his story. It doesnt sound too difficult and it would be the right thing to do. He turns to his companions I think we should help, what are your thoughts on the matter? We can grab a bite and be on our way if you agree

"Sounds good", Petals nods excitedly, "And and while we wait for the sundown, I could try to earn some coins for my own... Mr. Landlord, would you mind if I tie the rope to the roof of your building?" she asks innocently.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-02, 02:51 PM
The landlord raises a somewhat confused eyebrow. "Tie whatever you want wherever you like, just be there by sundown."

Up the hill, the man speaking to Kosei nods, opening a door into a small but well-kept dining room. "I've... always been active in local politics. Your father and I met at several official functions... tell me, how much attention have you been paying to the present situation?"

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-04, 11:01 AM
Kosei shook his head. "Not as much as I should have."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-04, 09:48 PM
"Quite understandable. Well... you are at least aware of the war on the mainland, and the refugee problem it has caused? The Mongols flood into China, and the Chinese in turn flood into Japan... thankfully, most of the coastal cities have had the sense to close their ports before they were over run, but the locals here have... other interests at heart."

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-04, 09:57 PM
Kosei looked at the man askance. "Why do these docks remain open, then, if you wish them closed? It seems like it would be a simple matter to shut them down. I doubt fishmongers could have much say in matters."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-07, 12:56 PM
"The jurisdiction in this issue is... complex, and the man whose duty it is to decide it has chosen to remain silent for reasons of his own. Several times I have sent men to persuade the harbourmaster to do the right thing, but he is in the pockets of certain other concerns, and they have ensured he is constantly surrounded by guards, even if it is only riffraff from the mainland."

jamieth
2013-05-07, 02:15 PM
The landlord raises a somewhat confused eyebrow. "Tie whatever you want wherever you like, just be there by sundown."

"Great, thanks!" the girl, excited, runs out and quickly gets to the roof, using a window as a shortcut. There, she pulls a grappling hook out of her travelling bag, and a length of rope. Quickly fixing the rope to the edge of the roof, she looks around to find a building nearby, with the roof of about the same height. Seconds later, the hook already winds itself around the bar protruding from the second roof. Having checked if the rope fixed itself properly, the girl, holding her staff as a balance pole, steps onto the freshly-build tightrope and walks towards the middle, taking quick glances around to check whether anybody watches her.

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-08, 06:52 PM
"Are you unable to have the harbormaster dismissed for gross incompetence? It should be a simple manner to then have him replaced with someone more reasonable."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-08, 11:59 PM
"Great, thanks!" the girl, excited, runs out and quickly gets to the roof, using a window as a shortcut. There, she pulls a grappling hook out of her travelling bag, and a length of rope. Quickly fixing the rope to the edge of the roof, she looks around to find a building nearby, with the roof of about the same height. Seconds later, the hook already winds itself around the bar protruding from the second roof. Having checked if the rope fixed itself properly, the girl, holding her staff as a balance pole, steps onto the freshly-build tightrope and walks towards the middle, taking quick glances around to check whether anybody watches her.

Most of the passersby seem to be too focused on more pressing matters to stop for entertainment; however, as the minutes pass a small crowd gathers, staring up at her from the street.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-09, 12:05 AM
"Are you unable to have the harbormaster dismissed for gross incompetence? It should be a simple manner to then have him replaced with someone more reasonable."

"If only it were an issue of simple incompetence... no. You see..."

The man pauses for a moment, as if considering whether to speak before continuing.

"You see, the refugees themselves are not the real issue - it's the chaos they've caused, and the activities it masks. Usually, only a handful of ships come here a day - few enough that my men can ensure that all the tariffs have been paid, and that no contraband is being smuggled into the country."

"Alas, with the sudden glut of immigrants, certain unscrupulous parties have sought to take advantage of the chaos... so long as every boat from the mainland is allowed to dock, it's impossible to search even a fraction of them."

"As for the harbour master, I suspect he's profiting from this himself... but I'm certain the lord whose job it would be to replace him is. Said lord dares not openly insist the docks be kept open, knowing the shame it would upon him to so openly support smugglers... but at the same time, he does not demand the docks be closed, for fear of losing his take of the profits... so he remains silent, and the decision defaults to the harbour master."

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-11, 03:06 PM
Crap, I didn't even see that this until now. Sorry.

"I see. And the ports remaining open thus harms legitimate merchants who are willing to pay the tariffs." Kosei paused for a moment. "Your profits are being cut into by illegitimate interests, and the harbormaster stands in the way of the port becoming closed." He looked at the man steadily. "You wish me to change his mind, I take it?"

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-12, 01:37 PM
"Indeed... although, really all that is needed is to convince him that his Mainland thugs are not strong enough to defy the might of the legitimate authority."

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-12, 01:45 PM
"And in return I receive a meal and lodgings for a night?" Kosei narrowed his eyes as he spoke. "I am not some Ronin whose honor can be bought so cheaply. If you wish me to take care of this you will support me when the time come, and I challenge Mizushima Ryouta."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-12, 01:51 PM
The man before Shendu raises his eyebrows, a smile across his face.

"My friend, meals and lodgings are free for you whatever you decide - such is nothing less than the laws of respect demand.

That being said... supporting your claim will be costly to me, not to mention dangerous. I fully intend to, you understand, but... well, you must agree, dealing with a few dockside thugs is a small task. Once is taken care of, we can... discuss some information which may be of aid to you, and some more ways your services may be of aid to me - and we will both prosper together."

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-12, 02:12 PM
Kosei looked at the man as he spoke. "Before I agree, I would have your name, and the information you believe may aid me. If it is truly helpful to me I will take care of the thugs that trouble your docks."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-13, 10:54 PM
The man pauses for a moment, his fingers drumming against the table before he breaks into a smile, speaking once more.

"Of course, it was rude of me not to introduce myself. My name is
Hiraku Katashi; please forgive the oversight.

As for the information... well, as mentioned, it is my duty to oversee the enforcement of tariffs, and to prevent smugglers from moving their goods into the Kingdom. Of course, this means keeping an eye on the flow of legal trade as well, so that I can know when the market shifts.

Since the coup that took your father's life, the flow of trade has changed substantially - if you do this job from me, I can tell you what the killers have been buying, and from whom. Is that information of value to you?"

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-14, 02:28 PM
Kosei sat in silent refection for a short moment. Information like that would be immensely valuable. It would tell him something of Ryouta's goals so he could sabotage them, and it would let him hunt down the man's allies and economic partners, potentially reducing effective the area in which he could deploy his troops. It would be foolish to pass such an opportunity by.

"The Harbor Master will have a different opinion by morning."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-14, 09:44 PM
"Ah, I am glad we could come to an agreement. The man generally spends his days on the docks, but he should be in his office by nightfall - speak to the guard at the gate on your way out, he will assign some men to accompany you."

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-15, 03:52 PM
Kosei nodded. "Very well. There is something I must take care of first, though."

He gestured to one of the servants. "Prepare a hot meal and direct me towards the baths. Wash my clothes while I bathe."

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-16, 08:26 AM
The servant nods quickly. "This way, lord," he says, leading Kosei deeper into the inn.

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-16, 03:36 PM
Kosei nodded politely to Katashi before following the servant.

We can fast forward to Kosei and the others leaving for the harbormaster's office now, I believe.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-18, 12:47 AM
The rest of the day passes easily for Kosei and the Mainlanders alike, and before long the sun starts to set over the bay, the dark shapes of incoming ships silhouetted against an angry red sky.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-05-19, 11:16 AM
As the night quickly approaches Bailin begins looking for his fellow travelers. He picks up his heavy blade with an ease that almost seems unnatural although he really doubts that it will come as far as swords unsheathing. The ruffians harassing the harbormaster will surly flee at the sight of the two imposing warriors... and there always petals... She did show a remarkably ability wielding her weapons. " Ru I think we should start heading towards his house. I believe Petals is outside.

jamieth
2013-05-19, 02:03 PM
Petals was, indeed, outside; days aboard the ship left her with lots of excessive energy, and the girl was cheerfully busy letting it out. In the hours that passed, she went through a tightrope walking, a juggling show, a contortion one, and was now back at the tightrope, paying little attention to the fact that the crowd has mostly dispersed by now.

"Is it time, finally?" she asked, noticing Bailing leaving the inn, "Catch!" And, without waiting a moment, she leaped down from the tightrope, doing a double somersault and threatening to land right on top of the swordsman.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-05-19, 03:17 PM
"Wait.. what?!"Bailin was not the most agile man alive... far from that but he was determined to catch her even if he had to use himself as a cushion... for him such thinking came naturally, instantaneously and it somewhat compensated for his lack of speed.

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-19, 07:00 PM
With a practiced motion Kosei tied his hair into a long tail as he stepped out of the room Katashi had lent him. It felt good to be clean and full. It seemed like forever since he had last felt so human. It was a shame he didn't have more time to spend enjoying it, but he had information to secure.

Kosei made his way out of the inn, nodding politely to Katashi as he passed. The sky outside was a fiery red, the skyline ablaze with color as the sun set. Kosei wondered briefly if it was an omen of conflict, but decided it didn't matter.

The guard post came into view quickly, and Kosei stopped beside it and scanned the men on duty for the guard captain.

"You have soldiers to accompany me." Kosei spoke in a cool authoritative voice, that didn't have a hint of a question in it.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-22, 02:13 PM
"Yes, sir," the guardsman replies, nodding stiffly to Kosei before hurrying off, returning a few moments later with four armoured men in tow, all of them bowing towards Kosei as they arrive.

Lord Ruby34
2013-05-23, 03:31 PM
After a short glance Kosei turned and began walking towards the harbormaster's office. When he spoke it didn't seem to be addressed toward the soldiers, but rather towards the empty air. "The harbormaster is not to be harmed, but he keeps thugs around him. If they will not listen to reason they will be removed."

Kosei eased his sword in his sheath as he spoke. "Thugs are often unreasonable."

ArchangelAzrael
2013-06-01, 03:54 PM
On their way towards the harbormaster Bailin tries not to have second’s thoughts about what he is doing. As long as he is away from her anything is good. "Now if we do have trouble coming on our doors let’s try to intimidate them first, but if we do have to fight i would rather we don’t kill anyone, just a light beating would suffice to send the message".

jamieth
2013-06-02, 05:08 PM
"Got that, no killing", Petals cheerfully confirms, her body finally back in shape with all these hours of exersizing-slash-performing she just went through. "Would you prefer a quick light beating, of a long and careful light beating, though?" she asks, switching from one stance to the other as she pulls her quarterstaff into the ready position.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-06-03, 10:55 AM
"As I said let’s hope to be able to resort this situation peacefully but as long as we don’t kill them you can pick what you want. My biggest concern is to not escalate the situation; I wouldn’t like to be framed with murder. We need to keep a profile as low as possible without having to starve ourselves until we reach the Southern Coastal lands to seek help from Kosei, after that the trip should be a breeze. He couldn’t help but bring in his memories his childhood friend and a warm feeling entered his body. He just hoped that Kosei still remembered him fondly as well. I mean they were children back then he would have trouble recognizing the man now.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-06-03, 09:54 PM
The harbourmaster is waiting nervously outside his office as Petals and Bailin arrive. "Only two of you?" he asks nervously, wiping sweat from his brow. "Last time Katashi sent six..."

ArchangelAzrael
2013-06-04, 03:56 AM
Last time...? I wonder what happened to them. Bailin doesn't let his expresion betray his thoughts. "I guess this time he went with quality over quantity" he tries to smile to relax the harbormaster[roll0] this is a diplomacy check followed by a sense motive to try and read the harbormaster [roll1] "Why don't we begin by introducing ourselfs and then perhaps you can give us as much information as you can so we can better protect you. Let me start first; my name is Xun Bailin Qiang"

jamieth
2013-06-04, 02:55 PM
"And my name's Three Soaring Petals", the girl inserts, "But you can just call me 'Petals', I don't mind. Oh, just out of curiosity - last time it was six against... how many?"