PDA

View Full Version : A very Spiky Thri-Kreen

Fyermind
2013-04-06, 12:13 AM
TLDR: Using hidden blades and multiweapon fighting you get laughable numbers of melee attack and a thri-kreen swordsage looks like a pretty decent way to do it.

So I'm looking at multiweapon fighting, and nothing seems to stop you from using more offhand attacks then you have arms. Before you get confused or upset here is what I mean.

Thri kreen has four arms. (Savage species was the source I used)
In each hand it wields a dagger.
At each wrist it has a sleeve blade. (Complete Scoundrel)
Each elbow has an elbow blade. (CompSc)
Each knee has a knee blade. (CompSc)
Each foot has a boot blade. (CompSc)
It's chain shirt armor is spiked.

This is a very spiky Thri-kreen. It also is weilding 10 daggers (6 of them take a -2 penalty as hidden blades), 4 punching daggers (all of them are hidden weapons), 2 short swords (hidden weapons), and armor spikes. Since they are all light weapons it takes a -2 penalty to all it's attacks with multiweapon fighting. A single full attack at level 4 (Thri kreen 2, LA 1, swordsage 1 for the sake of argument) looks like this:
BAB 2, assume 19 dex (15 base, +4 racial), 14 str (12 +2 racial) feats multiweapon fighting, weapon finesse, deflect arrows.

Daggers: +4/+4/+4/+4/+2/+2/+2/+2/+2/+2 (1d4+1)
Punching Daggers: +2/+2/+2/+2 (1d4+1)
Short Swords: +2/+2 (1d6+1)
Armor Spikes: +4 (1d6+1)
Bite: +1 (1d4+1)

If any of these 18 attacks can hit, one of them probably will. Your odds of rolling a 20 every turn are high. Enchanting them all to be +1 will be very expensive. At BAB+6 and improved multiweapon fighting things get more ridiculous. getting up to 35 attacks. At that point reasonable bonus damage from assassins stance and shadow blade and maybe craven brings the build to life.

Things get stupid damage quickly with any general damage boosts. Flaming blade will add 1d6+2 fire damage to all attacks. Since this is ECL 4 we are talking about and AC is likely around 17, this would be just over 21 damage on average with a full attack boosted to over 53 damage on average. Of course this sharply descends and ascends with AC. More ways of boosting accuracy and damage would be nice.

Also worth considering is the thri kreen +30 racial bonus on jump checks. This makes sudden leap a very viable method of locomotion, and keeps all those jump check requiring tiger claw maneuvers options.

Waker
2013-04-06, 12:27 AM
Just to be safe, you better take two levels of totemist to bind girallon arms for two more claw attacks.

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-06, 10:00 AM
I would get a monks belt for unarmed strikes wielded as an of hand weapon. That should add a few more attacks to your setup.

Also I remember there being a stump knife that did cool things to critical hits. It would be cool to have a thri-kreen with two stump knives in place of his bottom hands. Then go into blood in the water stance and go crit fishing.

Flame of Anor
2013-04-11, 12:16 AM
This is the kind of build that is good against everything except damage reduction and wizards. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2013-04-11, 12:32 AM
It's not stated, but can be interpolated from various stat blocks that monsters aren't supposed to have more sets of offhand attacks than their number of normal weapon-wielding limbs. This is 1 offhand for creatures with 2 arms, 3 offhands for creatures with 4 arms ('Kreen), and 5 offhands for creatures with 6 arms (Marilith). It doesn't matter how many weapons you are able to bring to bear in a combat. A humanoid can only use one offhand weapon even if wielding a pair of boot blades along with their weapons in hand. The attacker would have to choose which of his 3 available offhand weapons to make his offhand attacks with.

Multiweapon Fighting is a little more ambiguous, unfortunately, and doesn't explicitly state anything about the maximum number of offhands the character is capable of attacking with. Reasonable interpretation would be what I stated above.

Just because you have 15+ weapons available to use in an attack routine doesn't mean you get to swing with each and every one of them in a given round.

gooddragon1
2013-04-11, 05:40 AM
8 arms: Anthropomorphic Amphibious Giant Squid.

Malrone
2013-04-11, 08:04 AM
I'm not that keen on the RAW of being covered in quite so many sharp and pointy bits (for all that I've combo'd armor spikes w/ two-handers, and used those damnable elbow blades before too), but the part that troubles me the most are the "hidden" daggers and punching daggers. How are you wielding them if you have them hidden? And wouldn't using one in a hand preclude the other? A weapon must at least be properly equipped to be utilized, and a coat pocket isn't exactly a great source of leverage...

Good luck being Killer Bee, though.

EDIT: Once upon a time me and a friend sat down and stat'd out a build for maximum attacks. It ended up as a Thri'Kreen Whirling Dervish Thrall of Demigorgon with a Belt of Battle that utilized the weapon style that gave extra attacks per critical threat with a light mace. Minimum number of attacks on the 'nova' round was over 150.

Flickerdart
2013-04-11, 08:15 AM
I can do you one better. Take any humanoid with hair, attach infinite braid blades, attack with them all as part of a full attack action.

Flame of Anor
2013-04-11, 02:47 PM
I can do you one better. Take any humanoid with hair, attach infinite braid blades, attack with them all as part of a full attack action.

The dreaded dreadlocks!