PDA

View Full Version : teleportation as an extraordinary ability

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-06, 01:56 AM
i'm wondering if it is possible to get teleportation of any distance as an extraordinary ability.

i don't have a build in mind. my brain is just coming up with weird ideas and won't be satisfied until i find out one way or another.

i was specifically wondering if it was possible to teleport inside your own antimagic field without lowering it so a tin foil hat is useless here.

Andion Isurand
2013-04-06, 02:26 AM
You can use the Invoke Magic spell (sor/wiz 9) from Lords of Madness to allow any spell of 4th level with an instantaneous effect to function within an anti-magic field, dead magic zone or null-magical plane.

TuggyNE
2013-04-06, 03:16 AM
Cheater of Mystra is probably the "easiest" way to do this.

Bakeru
2013-04-06, 05:07 AM
Swordsages have a 50ft. need-line-of-sight need-line-of-effect teleport as (ex) as a second level maneuver ("Shadow Jaunt").
Maybe you could get it through the Martial Study feat, if that's enough of a teleport.

Sith_Happens
2013-04-06, 08:34 AM
i'm wondering if it is possible to get teleportation of any distance as an extraordinary ability.

By "any distance" do you mean "as far as I want" or "doesn't matter how far?" If the latter, then the Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink maneuvers are exactly what you want.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-06, 10:46 AM
You can use the Invoke Magic spell (sor/wiz 9) from Lords of Madness to allow any spell of 4th level with an instantaneous effect to function within an anti-magic field, dead magic zone or null-magical plane.

this is a good spell. don't think i would use a sorcerer spell known on it but a wizard could use it. it would be even better in a magic item.

Cheater of Mystra is probably the "easiest" way to do this.

interesting build. i'm not a fan of clerics though but thanks for the input. it's always good to have options.

Swordsages have a 50ft. need-line-of-sight need-line-of-effect teleport as (ex) as a second level maneuver ("Shadow Jaunt").
Maybe you could get it through the Martial Study feat, if that's enough of a teleport.

this is probably the best suggestion so far. my group doesn't like ToB but we have our own little edicate for using it. i'll look at useing the martial feats to get it.

By "any distance" do you mean "as far as I want" or "doesn't matter how far?" If the latter, then the Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink maneuvers are exactly what you want.

what i mean is i don't care if all you can get me is a 5 ft jump but longer distance is always better.

ben-zayb
2013-04-06, 11:03 AM
what i mean is i don't care if all you can get me is a 5 ft jump but longer distance is always better.

Hmm... Is this shadowpouncing / sunschool mechanics I am smelling? :smalltongue:

Anyway, the list of Shadow Hand maneuvers (TP 50ft. as Ex):

Shadow Jaunt: (L2) standard action
Shadow Stride: (L5) move action
Shadow Blink: (L7) swift action

EDIT: Of course, there's psionics and the Psionic-Magic transparency, which may mean AMFs don't affect Psionic DImension Doors or Psionic TPs.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-06, 11:19 AM
EDIT: Of course, there's psionics and the Psionic-Magic transparency, which may mean AMFs don't affect Psionic DImension Doors or Psionic TPs.

unfortunately for us psionics are magic, unless the specific campaign calls for non-magic psionics. probably to promote psionics or more likely for the villain's advantage.

lord_khaine
2013-04-06, 11:26 AM

No, that teleport is a supernatural ability, and wont fulfill the OP's requirements.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-06, 11:44 AM
No, that teleport is a supernatural ability, and wont fulfill the OP's requirements.

ToB says all maneuvers are extaordinary unless otherwise stated. it does not state that it is supernatural thus it is extraordinary.

JaronK
2013-04-06, 11:55 AM
It does say the teleport tricks are Su though. Annoyingly it doesn't say it on those maneuvers... I think it says it in the summary of Shadow Hand.

JaronK

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-06, 12:04 PM
i've found nothing in the summary, the section header or the power. the teleport descriptor doesn't even cause it to become supernatural. nothing in the errata either. so i'm pretty sure it's extraordinary.

Callin
2013-04-06, 12:09 PM
was goin to say I just looked through the whole section on Maneuvers and every single area i figured it would be and there was nothing saying it was Su.

JaronK
2013-04-06, 12:26 PM
I'm having trouble finding it too now, but I do remember that it was in some stupid place that didn't make any sense... I believe it was the general description of teleport manuevers. Just not sure where that was.

JaronK

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-06, 12:26 PM
I think we need some references for where the Shadow Jaunt line is called out as Su. I've also looked, and all I found was a place that said any Su maneuver would be labeled as such in the maneuver description.

The more I look at ToB, though, the more I wonder about what exactly went into the writing and editing of the book. Not WotC's finest hour.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-06, 12:31 PM
why do you think it's the but of so many jokes

Carth
2013-04-06, 12:45 PM
The more I look at ToB, though, the more I wonder about what exactly went into the writing and editing of the book. Not WotC's finest hour.

Pretty much. It's no surprise that the only source of EX teleports in the game is found there for that reason. EX teleportation makes no sense whatsoever (as opposed to it being SU or SP), so it's not surprising that it doesn't crop up elsewhere.

INoKnowNames
2013-04-06, 12:57 PM

I thought all maneuvers were extraordinary unless otherwise noted, such as with most of the Desert Wind Maneuvers, half of which have "This is a supernatural ability" explicitly stated. The Shadow Blink, Stride, and Jaunt techniques do not have those distinctions. Ergo, they're Extraordinary.

And it says nothing about the teleport tricks being Supernatural in Shadow Hand's maneuver summary, which is where info about how Stone Dragon sucks -is- stored.

Balance in the Sky (a Shadow Hand Stance) got the Super Natural Tag, too. But none of the 3 teleports get that tag...

Edit*

Extraordinary or Supernatural Abilities: Martial
maneuvers and stances are never spells or spell-like abilities.
Unless the description of the specifi c maneuver or stance
says otherwise, treat it as an extraordinary ability. Thus,
these abilities work just fine in an antimagic field or a dead
magic zone. A maneuver or stance can’t be dispelled or
counterspelled, and initiating one does not provoke attacks
of opportunity.
If a maneuver is overtly magical or otherwise uses a supernatural
power source, it is noted as a supernatural ability in its
description. In this case, the maneuver obeys all the standard
rules for supernatural abilities.

killem2
2013-04-09, 02:27 PM
I am firmly in the crowd of, if raw says it is, don't go trying to assume you know what WOTC meant to put.

It's a excersize in futility.

thethird
2013-04-09, 02:29 PM
Abrupt jaunt the ACF of conjurers (described in PHB II) is extraordinary, since it is part of immediate magic that is called as extraordinary and is a teleportation effect, short range though.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-09, 02:50 PM
Abrupt jaunt the ACF of conjurers (described in PHB II) is extraordinary, since it is part of immediate magic that is called as extraordinary and is a teleportation effect, short range though.

actually activating the ability is extraordinary but abrupt jaunt is a spell like ability. so the activation will work perfectly but the effect of jaunting is suppressed.

please disregard this post

olentu
2013-04-09, 02:52 PM

I believe that immediate magic abilities were all changed to supernatural in the errata.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-09, 03:04 PM
sorry if this quote isn't allowed.

you gain a spell-like ability that reflects your chosen school of magic... This is an extraordinary ability.

that is really stupid. and it has been errata-ed to be supernatural

aside from that screw wizards and there WotC fan fixation.

Carth
2013-04-09, 03:17 PM
Wow, that's low editing quality, even when you consider that's it's from WotC.

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-09, 03:24 PM
sorry if this quote isn't allowed.

that is really stupid. and it has been errata-ed to be supernatural

aside from that screw wizards and there WotC fan fixation.

It's like they had two different writers contribute to the same piece, and then the editor had their toddler make a collage of the two different pieces of writing. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

So, apart from speculating what might have been said in the as-yet-nonexistent ToB errata, I assume we have no source for the Shadow Jaunt line of maneuvers being Supernatural, as opposed to the default Extraordinary?

killem2
2013-04-09, 03:31 PM
So, apart from speculating what might have been said in the as-yet-nonexistent ToB errata, I assume we have no source for the Shadow Jaunt line of maneuvers being Supernatural, as opposed to the default Extraordinary?

Unless having it be EX is going to seriously unbalance a session, just leave it and don't go rule 0ing anything. :smallwink:

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-09, 03:43 PM
Unless having it be EX is going to seriously unbalance a session, just leave it and don't go rule 0ing anything. :smallwink:

While my game-world is ill-equipped to explain just how those maneuvers work as EX, it's not at all unbalancing, and I'm gradually coming around to the general consensus of giving mundanes some nice things.

Plus, it's just really nice to have it available to my epic monk/wizard/swordsage. More Sun School synergy? AND non-magical? Yes, please, god, YES.

I'm just gonna flavor it as some kind of lightning step (shunpo anyone?) and leave it at that, I think. The Shadow Hand fluff is pretty disposable, IMO.

killem2
2013-04-09, 04:22 PM
While my game-world is ill-equipped to explain just how those maneuvers work as EX, it's not at all unbalancing, and I'm gradually coming around to the general consensus of giving mundanes some nice things.

Plus, it's just really nice to have it available to my epic monk/wizard/swordsage. More Sun School synergy? AND non-magical? Yes, please, god, YES.

I'm just gonna flavor it as some kind of lightning step (shunpo anyone?) and leave it at that, I think. The Shadow Hand fluff is pretty disposable, IMO.

Maybe through advance mutated alien genes, they have some how linked up their brain to control exactly how their body controls it atomic make up and can cause them to travel at the speed of light.

Callin
2013-04-09, 04:37 PM
Fluff is always mutable in my opinion. the mechanics are not.

So refluff away till it fits into your characters theme :smallbiggrin:

Phelix-Mu
2013-04-09, 05:02 PM
Maybe through advance mutated alien genes, they have some how linked up their brain to control exactly how their body controls it atomic make up and can cause them to travel at the speed of light.

Or just so fast that no one can see them? These effects require line of sight, so there is tuppence of verisimilitude there. Instantaneous movement that can't be stopped.

Eh. It's better than shunpo. Though my monk is already breaking the spedometer. Tee hee. I was walking faster than our airship's cruising speed. Hehe.