PDA

View Full Version : Iajutsu focus serial killer... build help?

Calak Jivan
2013-04-06, 07:39 AM
so i come here looking for advice.

my character in my current campaign is looking like he is going to die due to story line [this is not from bad DM/GMing, but from good PC'ing if that makes sense]

i want to prepare a bit of an iaijutsu focus serial killer as my next char. and i am looking for advice...

i have read up on a whole bunch of iaijutsu focus threads and there seems to be a lot of wishwash about what goes well or not with it

my ideas were to be a small character. human. using a homebrew template
so i would get the extra feet. and i would suffer no real penaltys. but please allow for up to a +4 level adjustment if at all possible,

all sourcebooks allowed provided the item thought of gets DM approval

TL;DR
Need help with iaijutsu focus/sneak attack build. account for up to a +4 level adjustment, char will around level 8 most likely and i would like the build to be usefull from there on. all books allowed, avoid strong cheddar [stuff like golf bags are okay provided weapons are small.] build has to be fun and versitile. no one trick ponys if avoidable. THANKS! :D

Sith_Happens
2013-04-06, 08:09 AM
up to a +4 level adjustment

A pixie would make an awesome serial killer.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-06, 08:34 AM

That gives me an idea for a deranged, vengeful pixie stalking important members of a community and erasing their memories. The town is becoming increasingly panicked since not only is each victim unable to give any information about their attacker, the town is also "losing" people with skill sets that are integral to the town's survival.

On another note, what happens to a character who loses their memory? It's completely undefined, as far as I know. Really, an argument could be made that ALL class abilities, feats, and trained-only skill ranks should be lost. This would be insanely deadly and unbalancing, to say the least.

Sith_Happens
2013-04-06, 10:00 AM
On another note, what happens to a character who loses their memory? It's completely undefined, as far as I know. Really, an argument could be made that ALL class abilities, feats, and trained-only skill ranks should be lost. This would be insanely deadly and unbalancing, to say the least.

An opponent struck by this arrow must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or lose all memory. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes a +2 racial bonus. The subject retains skills, languages, and class abilities but forgets everything else until he or she receives a heal spell or memory restoration with limited wish, wish, or miracle.

Says nothing about feats, though.

Dimers
2013-04-06, 10:05 AM
As it happens, I just made an IF character for a game here in the Playground. One very useful thing I found was a 1st-level Diamond Mind maneuver that lets you make a Concentration check to flatfoot an enemy (and deal +d6 damage) for one strike. Even if you take no levels in initiator classes, you can have that maneuver right from first level with a single feat. Another way to achieve flatfoot at will is with a Tumble skill trick from Complete Scoundrel -- you tumble through an enemy and get to treat them as flatfooted for one attack on the same turn. But that's not available until 9th level, as it requires 12 ranks.

If I recall correctly, there's one other low-level maneuver to flatfoot ... I don't recall specifics but it was probably from Shadow Hand.

limejuicepowder
2013-04-06, 02:47 PM
Says nothing about feats, though.

Ah yes, thank you. That is a bit more reasonable, but still utterly devastating to anyone who cares about role-playing. A character's memories is what makes them who they are; erase it, and they aren't even the same person.

Calak Jivan
2013-04-06, 05:19 PM
As it happens, I just made an IF character for a game here in the Playground. One very useful thing I found was a 1st-level Diamond Mind maneuver that lets you make a Concentration check to flatfoot an enemy (and deal +d6 damage) for one strike. Even if you take no levels in initiator classes, you can have that maneuver right from first level with a single feat. Another way to achieve flatfoot at will is with a Tumble skill trick from Complete Scoundrel -- you tumble through an enemy and get to treat them as flatfooted for one attack on the same turn. But that's not available until 9th level, as it requires 12 ranks.

If I recall correctly, there's one other low-level maneuver to flatfoot ... I don't recall specifics but it was probably from Shadow Hand.

Thanks a bunch... will look into those. any recomendations on feats? i know the basic quick draw... but wondering about anything else

the +4 LA is being used up on something homebrew... basically a half vampire.
thanks for the suggestion though.

Dimers
2013-04-06, 06:58 PM
Two feats to cause the flatfooted condition: Raptor School and Flick of the Wrist, both in CW. Raptor School sucks (spend a standard action for a middling chance at gaining flatfooted later, and Flick is decent but has some prerequisites.

Aaaaaand that's about where my knowledge stops. *shrug* :smallsmile:

(Unless you can get the Iaijutsu Master feat from OA, which lets you roll IFocus in place of something else, once per day. It's fun and sometimes utile.)

Siosilvar
2013-04-06, 07:03 PM
I found two compendiums (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186283) for making people flat-footed (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12405). The first one also includes denying Dex to AC, which is helpful for Sneak Attack but not so much for Iaijutsu Focus.

The Shadow Hand maneuver (Shadow Garrote) is 3rd level, so you'd need to be at least 10th to pick it up with a Martial Study feat. But you can pick up Sapphire Nightmare Blade as soon as you hit level 2. (3, rather, since that's when you get a feat).

JaronK
2013-04-06, 07:24 PM
Factotum 8 is a perfect start. Dip Swordsage 2 after that. But Factotum 8 is such a critical level that you might as well go straight for it.

I'm fond of Necropolitan Whispergnome as a race, dumping your con score and paying for the desecrated shrine when you make the conversion (for D12+2 HP/HD). That gives you tons of immunities, access to the Lifesight feat, and automatic proficiency with the Gnomish Quickrazor (using the Complete Warrior rules for racial weapons).

And then just rock out with a Gnomish Quickrazor. Use Grease and Sapphire Nightmare Blade to make people flat footed. Go nuts.

JaronK

Sith_Happens
2013-04-06, 11:22 PM
And then just rock out with a Gnomish Quickrazor. Use Grease and Sapphire Nightmare Blade to make people flat footed. Go nuts.

Don't forget Distract Assailant (SpC).