PDA

View Full Version : A horrible play on words ( d and d 3.5 monster)

smoke prism
2013-04-06, 09:02 AM
Hello playground this is my scecond monster, so its mechanics my be a bit off, but the idear of making a literal bugbear sounded like a strange think to do and I like to make strange thinks.

Bug-bear
Large aberration
Hit Dice 10d8+60(105 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft
Initiative: +5
Armor Class 16 (-1 size,+1 dex,6 natural) ; touch 10; flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple +7/+17
Attack:bite+12 (1d8+6 plus poison)
Full-Attack: bite+12 (1d8+6 plus poison) and 2 claw+ 7(1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks:poison, Improved Grab
Special Qualities:darkvison 60 feet, tremorsence 60 feet,DR 10/ adamantine
Saves Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +8
Abilities Str 23, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills:climb 19, move silently 5, jump 10, hide 1, spot5
Feats:great fortitude, lightning reflexes, improved initiative, power attack
Environment: tempearate forest
Organization: solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standered
Alignment: usually neutral
Advancement: 11-15 (large), 16-20 (huge)
Level Adjustment: -

Description

This creaturs is supposedly a mad hybrid created by the same wizard that created the monsters owlbear.
The Bug-bear stands between 8 to 9 feet, it prosses the vauge shap and outline of a bear, but that is were those similarity end, for were there would be fur they are long black bristles like those of a monsters spider, but perhaps the most horrific feature of this creatuer is that were there should be a bears head there is a monster spider's head, who's eight eyes glint with malignant bestial intelligent.

(Note: yes I know that spider's are not technically bugs, but it was the only invertebrate that worked in my mind)

Combat

Poison(Ex): Injury, fortitude DC 21 or take 2d6 strength damage. The save DC is constitution-based.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a bug-bear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Racial skills

Bug-bears have a +4 racial bonus on hide and spot checks and +8 racial bonuse on climb checks.A Bug-bear can always choose to take 10 on climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

inuyasha
2013-04-06, 11:10 AM
Bug-bear
Large aberration
good
Hit Dice: 10d8+60(51 hp)
HP should be 120 not 51
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft
ok no changes
good
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size,+1 dex,6 natural) ; touch 10; flat-footed 15
also good
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17
grapple is a bit off, should be +13 right?
Attack:bite+12 (1d8+6 plus poison) or claw+12 (1d6+6)
kk this is fine
Full-Attack: bite+12 (1d8+6 plus poison) and claw+ 7(1d6+3)
same here
good
Special Attacks:poison
just fine
Special Qualities:darkvison 60 feet, tremorsence 60 feet,DR 10/ adamantine
ok whoa whats with the adamantine DR?
Saves: Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +8
Fort +12 so almost right
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
why is is it ridiculously slow for being half spider, and why is its charisma 10?
dont think this is a problem
which one of these is the bonus feat? it should only have 3
Environment: tempearate forest
ok no problem
Organization: solitary or mates
should be solitary or pair but mates is fine
Challenge Rating: 6
I'd set cr at 8 but 6 if you get rid of the DR 10/adamantine
Treasure: Standered
if its so stupid why does it have standard treasure
Alignment: neutral
unless its a unique being dont just put neutral, put a usually or always or often, so probably always because of its intelligence
no problem
no problem here either
Description

This creaturs is supposedly a mad hybrid created by the same wizard that created the monsters owlbear.
The Bug-bear stands between 8 to 9 feet, it prosses the vague shape and outline of a bear, but that is were those similarities end, for were there would be fur there is long black bristles like those of a monsterous spider, but perhaps the most horrific feature of this creature is that were there should be a bears head there is a monsterous spider's head, who's eight eyes glint with malignant bestial intelligent.

(Note: yes I know that spider's are not technically bugs, but it was the only invertebrate that worked in my mind)

Combat

Poison(Ex):
Injury, fortitude DC 21 or take 2d6 strength damage. The save DC is constitution-based.

Racial skills

Bug-bears have a +4 racial bonus on hide and spot checks and +8 racial bonuse on climb checks.A Bug-bear can always choose to take 10 on climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

my critiques are in red, and I fixed some typos and bolded some things, but everything i did is in red. Im going to let you update the OP, just remove any red color tags or my critiques

whydoibover
2013-04-06, 09:21 PM
I think health should be 105.

Number of feats is correct. DR is formidable but could be overcome at that level. I assume the +17 grapple takes into account the size modifier.

The concerns about treasure versus intelligence stand.

Debihuman
2013-04-07, 06:36 AM
Hit Dice: 10d8+60 (105 hp). 10 x 4.5 = 45. 45 + 60 = 105. Bown bears have 6d8 HD and Large Monstrous Spiders have 4d8 so it's HD look right. It works better as an Aberration than as a Magical Beast.

Grapple is BAB + special size modifier + Str modifier. 7 +4 + 6 = 17 so that was indeed correct.

Your attack lines are wrong. You may never use a secondary attack at full BAB even when it is used as a primary attack. It always takes the -5 penalty. That is why it isn't listed in the attack line. It should make 2 claw attacks as a full attack. A Large Bear would have 2 claws so you should give it that.

Attack: Bite+12 melee (1d8+6 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d8+6 plus poison) and 2 claws + 7 melee (1d6+3)

Instead of DR, it should be based on the Large Monstrous Spider and have tremorsense and web though it would be more like a hunting spider rather than a web spider.

You could also give it Improved Grab like a brown bear. This fits with the claw attacks it can make.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a bug-bear must hit with a claw attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

A Large Monstrous Spider has a speed of 30 feet and Climb speed of 20 feet and a Large Brown bear has a speed of 40 feet. It should have a land speed of 40 feet like the brown bear and Climb 20 feet like the spider.

Feats: A brown bear has Endurance, Run Track. It seems like a Bug-Bear would have those too. Since the Large Monstrous Spider only has weapon finesse as a bonus feat, it can be dropped for a more appropriate feat.

It has 13 skill ranks to use. I'm not sure how you assigned them. Does it move on bear legs or spider legs? That should be a factor in deciding which skills it has. You also need to decide if this is based on a web spider or hunting spider and whether to add additional racial skills from that. I'm inclined to think it is a hunting spider. Can these swim like bears? Probably not, so losing that skill and the bonus was a good idea.

This is from the Monstrous Spider entry

Monstrous spiders have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A monstrous spider can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Monstrous spiders use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher.*Hunting spiders have a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks and a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks. Web-spinning spiders have a +8 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks when using their webs.

If it has spider-like legs, you could give it the racial bonus to Jump.

Skills: Bug-bears have +4 racial bonus on Hide and Spot checks and +8 racial bonus on Climb checks.A Bug-bear can always choose to take 10 on climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Without my suggestions, this is how it should look

Just copy and paste this.

Bug-bear
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 10d8+60 (105 hp)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size,+1 Dex, +6 natural) ; touch 10; flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+17
Attack: Bite +12 (1d8+6 plus poison)
Full Attack: Bite+12 (1d8+6 plus poison) and 2 claws +7 (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, poison
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +11 Ref +6 Will +8
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +19, Hide +1, Jump +10, Move Silently +5, Spot +5
Feats: Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Power Attack
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Advancement: 11-15 (Large), 16-20 (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

Debby

smoke prism
2013-04-08, 08:45 AM
Thank you for all you're feedback

I have made the appropriate changes

Razanir
2013-04-08, 06:23 PM

Fortitude really should be +12 (+3 racial, +3 Great Fortitude, +6 Con)
Reflex should be +7 (+3 racial, +3 Lightning Reflexes, +1 Dex)
Will, however, is spot on.

You should add + signs to skills. +19 not 19, etc.

I feel like it should be always neutral. It has animal intelligence, and probably can't reason well enough to be anything else

Finally, I'll post again shortly with a grammar and spellcheck

Razanir
2013-04-08, 06:33 PM
Hello playground this is my second monster, so its mechanics my be a bit off, but the idea of making a literal bugbear sounded like a strange thing to do and I like to make strange things.

Bug-bear
Large aberration
Hit Dice 10d8+60(105 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft
Armor Class 16 (-1 size,+1 dex,6 natural) ; touch 10; flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple +7/+17
Attack: bite +12 (1d8+6 plus poison) Spacing
Full-Attack: bite+12 (1d8+6 plus poison) and 2 claw +7 (1d6+3)Spacing
Special Attacks: poison, Improved Grab Spacing
Special Qualities: darkvison 60 feet, tremorsense 60 feet, DR 10/ adamantine Spacing
Abilities Str 23, Dex 12, Con 23, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +19, Move Silently +5, Jump +10, Hide +1, Spot +5 Spacing, + signs, and capitalization
Environment: temperate forest
Organization: solitary or pair
Treasure: Standard

Description

This creature is supposedly a mad hybrid created by the same wizard that created the monstrous owlbear.
The Bug-bear stands between 8 to 9 feet, it possesses the same vague shape and outline of a bear, but that is were those similarity end, for were there would be fur they are long black bristles like those of a monstrous spider, but perhaps the most horrific feature of this creature is that were there should be a bear's head there is a monstrous spider's head, whose eight eyes glint with malignant bestial intelligence. Seems strange to mention intelligence with only 2 Int

(Note: yes I know that spiders are not technically bugs, but it was the only invertebrate that worked in my mind)

Combat

Poison(Ex): Injury, fortitude DC 21 or take 2d6 strength damage. The save DC is constitution-based.

Racial skills

Bug-bears have a +4 racial bonus on hide and spot checks and +8 racial bonus on climb checks. A Bug-bear can always choose to take 10 on climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Ceci n'est pas une résponse. (This is not a reply)