PDA

View Full Version : Bestow Wounds

Ruethgar
2013-04-06, 09:51 AM
This spell is horrible. Up to caster level healing and damage with a fort save to negate and material cost on a touch spell with the squishy caster when a sorcerer can heal 1d6 for the same spell slot at level 1 without entering melee.

Would it be too powerful to remove the fort save and material component and still keep it as a level 1 spell?

Ashtagon
2013-04-06, 10:04 AM
This spell is horrible. Up to caster level healing and damage with a fort save to negate and material cost on a touch spell with the squishy caster when a sorcerer can heal 1d6 for the same spell slot at level 1 without entering melee.

Would it be too powerful to remove the fort save and material component and still keep it as a level 1 spell?

Which spell does the sorcerer cast to heal 1d6 at level one?

Ruethgar
2013-04-06, 10:05 AM
Divine companion ACF so, any 1st level spell slot.

Ashtagon
2013-04-06, 11:18 AM
Fair enough, bestow wound is a crap spell :smallbiggrin:

I think I'd change the hp involved to be equivalent to what a cure light wounds would do, and drop the material component.

Ruethgar
2013-04-06, 11:25 AM
I think that is a bit much, it does do damage in addition to healing after all and caster level can be boosted high enough to get some decent effect. Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.

Ashtagon
2013-04-06, 01:35 PM
I think that is a bit much, it does do damage in addition to healing after all and caster level can be boosted high enough to get some decent effect. Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.

otoh, Fort save negates, it's a touch spell, and it can only do the healing if a squishy caster who is already injured enters into melee range. That's pretty sub-optimal right there.

Kish
2013-04-06, 01:55 PM
I would venture that it is a serious mistake to attempt to balance any other spell against "divine companion ACF."

Humble Master
2013-04-06, 02:01 PM
I would probably no pick this spell because as you put it it is crud.

Maby giving it a range and taking away the material component would work.

Ruethgar
2013-04-06, 02:52 PM
I don't really mind the touch requirement, was likely getting reach anyway, but a save to void is a bigger downer than the mat cost. I was thinking of a character that would move health around rather than straight out heal. Lifebound Vestments(or spell derived from the same idea) and Bestow Wounds(or similar effect), but I don't want to veer too far off from the innumerable tools already provided.

Ashtagon
2013-04-06, 04:07 PM
I don't really mind the touch requirement, was likely getting reach anyway, but a save to void is a bigger downer than the mat cost. I was thinking of a character that would move health around rather than straight out heal. Lifebound Vestments(or spell derived from the same idea) and Bestow Wounds(or similar effect), but I don't want to veer too far off from the innumerable tools already provided.

Bear in mind that bestow wounds allows you to heal yourself only. By RAW it "moves" 1 hp per caster level, which is really really crap, especially when you consider that it's also consuming a spell slot.

Lifebound vestments (incarnum p76) allows you to move meldshaper level hp per round from yourself to an ally.

Yakk
2013-04-08, 08:59 PM
I could throw together a slightly stronger one, with a fun quirk of giving it a duration:

Bestow Wounds

Transmutation
Level: Dread Necromancer 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1, Spite 1
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 round plus 1 round per 3 caster levels
Saving Throw: Fortitude each round
Spell Resistance: Yes

Each round the target must make a Fortitude save. If it fails the save, the target takes takes 1d6 damage, or the amount needed to bring you up to your maximum hit points, whichever is less. At the same time, you heal that much damage, as if a cure spell had been cast on you.

Which leads to this dangerous spell:

Absorb Wounds

Transmutation
Level: Dread Necromancer 2, Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 1 round plus 1 round per 2 caster levels
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Each round you take 1d6 damage. If you roll a 6 for the amount of damage, increase the amount of damage you take each round by 5 until the spell ends, and reroll the die. At the same time, the target heals for that much damage, as if a cure spell had been cast on them.

The caster of this spell may choose for the spell to end on any turn where the damage done to the caster is 1.
Which, at level 20, "heals" for 11d6 points of damage over 11 rounds, at the cost of possibly doing unlimited damage to yourself.

A very necromatic form of healing.

A pair of spells, together with some living creature you are willing to kill (say, a cow), could be used to do healing in a very necromatic way.