PDA

View Full Version : Do Duskblades get to many spells?

CyberThread
2013-04-06, 11:51 AM
Just a curious observation, but do duskblades, seem to never run out of spells to cast?

Urpriest
2013-04-06, 11:52 AM
Most spellcasting classes are like that past level 5 or so. Duskblade spells are weaker, so they get more. Plus, they often have things that make them spend extra spell slots, like Arcane Strike.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-04-06, 12:55 PM
Most spellcasting classes are like that past level 5 or so.
This one. Sure, Duskblades get a lot, but all that means is that they can keep going for a good long time.

Fable Wright
2013-04-06, 01:31 PM
Duskblades just can't get enough spell slots. I'm playing a level 5 one right now, and if I'm not careful, I can burn all of my slots in a single encounter. Between Swift action spells and Standard action channeling, spell slots go by like chips, at least 2 per round. When you add in Arcane Strike, they can chug through 3+ slots per round, easily, and low level slots are great fodder too be turned into Arcane Strikes at higher levels.

At higher levels, the extra slots probably mean that you can operate at 2 spell/round capacity for several encounters per day, and later 3-4 spell/round capacity, but Duskblades can never get enough slots that they never worry about running out.

Karnith
2013-04-06, 01:34 PM
Another thing to keep in mind with Duskblades is that they get a much slower spell progression than other casters (topping out with 5th-levels spells) on top of getting some pretty weak spells. And as gishes, they're probably going to be MAD enough that they won't get a huge number of bonus spells per day. So while they get a lot of spells per day at each spell level, it isn't really that big of a deal, and they'll still have fewer spell slots (especially relevant ones) than normal casters.

And, honestly, since a lot of their spells are either blasting or immediate-/swift-action buffs, it's not hard to run through pretty quickly anyway.