PDA

View Full Version : Help with custom sets of buffs?

Nettlekid
2013-04-06, 12:58 PM
A character build that I've wanted to make for a very long time is Erza Scarlet from the anime Fairy Tail. For those who don't watch it, this character's main power is that she's a powerful melee combatant whose magic is to switch out her weapon and armor instantly to suit her situation. She has fire weapons, water weapons, electric weapons, defense armor, speed armor, flight armor, etc. The way that seems like it would be easiest to imitate that in D&D is with a few Rings of Storing, that let you swap out your equipment to a set stored inside the ring. With a few of those, you could get a few entirely different sets of equipment.

The hard part comes when trying to think of how to differentiate the equipment. Usually in D&D the beat-em-up Fighter takes one or two weapons and one set of armor, and magically enhances the heck out of them. You might have a few backups for DR specific cases, but usually you'd just give them power-boosting enhancements and take quality over quantity. What I could see happening if you try to make several is that one set is just plain better than the others, so you'd stick with it. So in trying to find a way to make the sets very different, I found this. The PrC Runecaster, from PGtF. It gets the ability to inscribe potentially permanent runes of spells onto small objects. What I love the idea of is having suits of armor, weapons, and other equipment that would be stored within the rings have permanent runes scribed on them that activate upon touch (and since they're being worn, they're always being touched) which would then provide buffs to the character, simulating the special effects of the armor in the anime.

So my question to you is, what list of buffs makes good sets? I want no set to cover all the bases, so there's actually a reason to switch from time to time. The buffs I think would be Cleric spells, since Runecaster needs divine casting. I guess Archivist is more varied, but Cleric is more versatile day-to-day.

Buff Sets could include:
Melee Warrior set (perhaps two, Vs. Hulking Monster and Vs. Caster)
Defensive set (protectvie wards and healing)
Out-of-Combat travel set (speed and maneuverability, maybe?)
Elemental set(s)?
What else would be cool?
Also, is there a good way to switch out Rings of Storing quickly? Like if I were to have five Rings, wearing only two at one time, to swap on in my pocket for one on my finger quickly?

Nettlekid
2013-04-06, 02:41 PM
Here's a few things I think would be cool in each set. Suggestions encouraged.

Melee Set (vs Big Monsters)
Divine Power
Righteous Might
Blade Barrier

Melee Set (vs Caster)
Spell Resistance
Ray Deflection (or Friendly Fire)
Silence
Dimensional Anchor

Defense Set
Greater Luminous Armor
Delay Death
Death Ward
Heal

Out of Combat Set
Find the Path
Freedom of Movement
Guidance of the Avatar

Fire Set
Flame Strike
Wall of Fire
Energy Immunity (Fire)

Water Set
Water Breathing
Wall of Water
Energy Immunity (Cold)

Air Set
Air Walk
Wind Wall
Energy Immunity (Electricity)

Earth Set
Greater Stone Shape
Wall of Stone
Energy Immunity (Acid)

amaryllis
2013-04-06, 03:13 PM
Just a note to say I`ve seen Fairytail, Love the character Erza and think that what you are doing sounds AWESOME!