PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Aegis of many hands

Chained Birds
2013-04-06, 01:38 PM
Extra Arms, Lesser 1 Construction Point

The aegis’s astral suit has an extra pair of arms with limited function. Each arm can hold, but not use, any one item that can normally be held in one hand. Items held in this way count toward the aegis’s carrying capacity. The aegis can retrieve any item held by his extra arms as a swift action. The aegis does not gain any mechanical benefit from items held by these arms, such as a shield bonus to armor class.

Extra Arms 2 Construction Points

The extra arms on the aegis’s astral suit gain improved functionality. The aegis gains a +2 circumstance bonus to Climb checks and CMD against grapple attempts for each extra arm that is not holding anything. In addition, one of the arms can wield and use a light or one-handed weapon, a shield, or any other item that can be used with one hand. Attacks made with this additional arm suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls in addition to any penalties for using two weapons. These extra arms do not grant any additional attacks, only alternate arms with which to make the standard attacks. The aegis must be at least 5th level and have the Lesser Extra Arms customization before selecting this customization.

Extra Arms, Greater 3 Construction Points

The extra arms on the aegis’s astral suit function at nearly the same capacity as his normal arms. Each arm can now wield or use a light or one-handed weapon, shield, or any other item that he could normally use. Alternatively, the aegis can use one or both arms when wielding a two-handed weapon, possibly allowing him to wield a pair of two-handed weapons. The circumstance bonus on Climb checks and CMD against grapple attempts increases to +3 per extra arm that is not holding anything. The aegis must be 8th level and have the Extra Arms and Lesser Extra Arms customizations before selecting this customization.

------

So for 6 Points at Lvl 8, an Aegis can have two more useable arms that can wield weapons and possibly two-weapon two two-handed weapons.

I'm really curious about how far it can go, and whether you can make use of the Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat).

Can I get the Multiweapon Fighting feat as early as Lvl 1 when I have access to the lesser Extra Arms?

Can I use the Greater version to deal 4 Unarmed Attacks along with the Multiweapon Fighting feat? Or do I need to weapon a light weapon (like a gauntlet or dagger) to use it?

Assuming a Strength of 20, what would the Full Attack look like at Level 8 with Mutiweapon Fighting?

Chained Birds
2013-04-07, 02:08 PM
No comment?

grarrrg
2013-04-07, 02:54 PM
I'm really curious about how far it can go, and whether you can make use of the Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/multiweapon-fighting-combat).

Can I get the Multiweapon Fighting feat as early as Lvl 1 when I have access to the lesser Extra Arms?
Read the 'Special' on Multiweapon
"This feat replaces the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms."
So for all intents and purposes it _IS_ Two-weapon fighting, the main difference is that Multi-weapon requires 2 less Dexterity.

Which feat you (can) have depends on how many arms you have. If you later 'swapped out' the Lesser Extra Arms, the feat would 'change' into Two-weapon fighting (weather you could USE the Two-weapon feat would depend on your DEX score).

Short Version: You can take it at 1st level, it will just function exactly like Two-weapon Fighting until you get Greater Extra Arms (as until then you can't make any extra attacks).

Can I use the Greater version to deal 4 Unarmed Attacks along with the Multiweapon Fighting feat? Or do I need to weapon a light weapon (like a gauntlet or dagger) to use it?

Unarmed Attacks do not work that way, as your 'normal' character with 2 arms can still only make 1 Unarmed per round (pending iteratives of course (and whatever the current ruling on Monk's Flurry of Blows is...)).

To make 4 attacks you would need 4 weapons (or 3 weapons and 1 Unarmed). Ideally 3 of those attacks would be 'light' weapons, else you suffer extra penalties.

Assuming a Strength of 20, what would the Full Attack look like at Level 8 with Mutiweapon Fighting?

Str with Multiple Weapons is always Full To-Hit bonus on all attacks, Full Damage bonus on Main-Hand attack, and 1/2 STR Bonus on all Off-Hand attacks (the Double Slice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/double-slice-combat---final) feat should give you Full Damage bonus on ALL attacks).

As far as Attack Routine goes (assume all Off-hand weapons are Light, ignoring STR bonus):
"normal" Level 8, Full Bab, w/Two Weapon Fighting
6/6/1

Level 8 Aegis with Extra Arms (NOT greater) w/Multiweapon Fighting
6/4/1
Extra Arms explicitly does NOT grant an extra attack, so you're better off using your 'main' hands for attacks, or wielding a Two-Handed weapon with your main arms (due to the wording, you could use the Extra arm to Two-Hand a weapon and your other Main arm for the Off-hand attack, in this case your attack routine would actually be 4/6/1)

Level 8 Aegis with Greater Extra Arms, w/Multiweapon Fighting, all 1-hand (light) weapons
6/6/6/6/1

Level 8 Aegis with Greater Arms, Multiweapon, a Two-hand weapon, and 2 light weapons
6/6/6/1

Level 8 Aegis with Greater Arms, Multiweapon, 2 Two-hand weapons
4/4/-1

I would advise against 2 Two-hand weapons, unless you really need the Damage boost.

Mcdt2
2013-04-07, 03:01 PM
Firstly, bumping your own threads is considered ill-form.

Secondly, thanks for introducing me to this class, I had never really looked at it. Quite interesting.

From a strict RAW standpoint, I would say you could take Multiweapon Fighting at level 1 (assuming one can qualify for feats with technically temporary arms), however I would probably houserule that you would need to wait until the level 5 version of Extra Arms. That said, it's probably not a big deal to let you have it at level 1, it's basically the same as two-weapon fighting then.

As for using unarmed strikes, I do not know. It depends on whether you categorize unarmed strikes as "Weapons" or not. There has already been very long, flame filled threads on the topic, so I'll leave that alone. Personally, I would allow it if you had Improved Unarmed, or at least the Hardened Strikes customization.

A level 8 full attack, with Multiweapon, 20 strength and 4 light MWK/+1 weapons:

+12/+12/+12/+12/+7. The last +7 is with the primary weapon. Imp Multiweapon would add +7/+7/+7 to the routine.

Using 2 2-handed MWK/+1 weapons

+10/+10/+5. IMW gives another +5 to routine. Penalties are much larger because offhand weapon is not light.

Using a 2h and 2 light weapons:

+12/+12/+12/+7. +7 is the primary, IMW adds +7/+7 to routine. Probably the best way to go if you lack extra sources of damage like sneak attack.

EDIT: Totally swordsage'd there, happens with such large posts

Unarmed Attacks do not work that way, as your 'normal' character with 2 arms can still only make 1 Unarmed per round (pending iteratives of course (and whatever the current ruling on Monk's Flurry of Blows is...)).
Thing to note here: The rules on using unarmed strikes with two-weapon fighting are... muddled, at best. Personally, I allow it at my table, and I very much disagree with the ruling some of the PF developers made. Many would say that FAQ makes no difference to the RAW at any rate, and I am inclined to agree. However, this is a matter to settle with your DM and your group, go with what makes sense to you.

Chained Birds
2013-04-07, 05:38 PM
I appologize for the shameful bump, though I am glad the class interests you. :smallredface:

It is odd that you can only punch once, even if you have three working arms (plus the feat) to punch with...

So, I best get some daggers for them or something.

grarrrg
2013-04-07, 10:31 PM
I appologize for the shameful bump, though I am glad the class interests you. :smallredface:

It is odd that you can only punch once, even if you have three working arms (plus the feat) to punch with...

So, I best get some daggers for them or something.

Regardless of how Unarmed Strikes 'work', you still have the problem of actually doing decent damage with them.
Default Unarmed damage is only 1d3 for a medium creature.
There are a few Aegis Customizations that can help, but there are only a couple of them, and they help ANY/ALL weapons you have, not just Unarmed Strikes (ok, there is the _one_ that helps Unarmed, but it doesn't add damage, merely makes it Lethal and gives you type options)).

Now, if you could work out something with your DM so that Psionic Fist PrC can stack with Aegis levels for Customization (like Soul Blades and Manifesting PrC's stack), then you might have something.

Overall you are MUCH better off with actual weapons.

Chained Birds
2013-04-07, 10:50 PM
My plan was to use Cryptic 6-8 levels in Brutal Disruptor Archetype and gain this:

Channeled Disruption

A 6th level brutal disruptor has learned to channel her disrupt pattern ability into her melee attacks. The brutal disruptor may use her disrupt pattern ability as part of any or all melee attacks she makes. This is an exception to the rule that disrupt pattern may only be used once per round. The brutal disruptor cannot use her disrupt pattern ability as a ranged attack in the same round that she has used it as part of a melee attack.

A large investment, but might be worthwhile if this Insight stacks:

Dislocating Pattern (Su)

When a cryptic with this insight makes a successful disrupt pattern attack, she causes the target to take a -2 penalty to all attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks, and saving throws until a successful DC 15 Heal check is made. A cryptic must be at least 8th level before selecting this insight.

-----

In Gestalt, this would be terrorfying if everything works like I think it works...