PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Increasing CL on SLAs

Thurbane
2013-04-06, 10:24 PM
Is there any way to increase the caster level on creatures innate SLAs?

Some creatures have it tied to their levels or HD (like Drow), but some have it set at a static figure (Green Hag etc.).

Is there any feat or ability that can overcome this, short of DM handwaving?

Cheers - T

Karnith
2013-04-06, 11:02 PM
It's a terrible way to go about doing this, but a True Necromancer's Necromantic Prowess ability grants caster level bonuses to rebuke undead, necromancy spells, and (relevant to the thread) spell-like abilities that mimic necromancy spells.

BowStreetRunner
2013-04-06, 11:06 PM
You want to read the section on invocations and spell-like abilities in Complete Arcane (p 71). Many feats that apply to characters that use spells also apply to characters that use spell-like abilities. As long as the feat doesn't require spell slots (like metamagic feats that require you to use a higher-level slot), then they apply to both spells and spell-like abilities. For those that do require slots, there are often equivalent feats for users of spell-like abilities (several found in the Monster Manuals) that may have other limits, like being only useable a certain number of times per day.

Thurbane
2013-04-06, 11:14 PM
Wondering if there's something like Practiced Spellcaster for SLAs?

BowStreetRunner
2013-04-06, 11:24 PM
Wondering if there's something like Practiced Spellcaster for SLAs?

Well yes, there's...Practiced Spellcaster.

It works for SLAs. See Complete Arcane p 71.

Karnith
2013-04-06, 11:32 PM
Well yes, there's...Practiced Spellcaster.

It works for SLAs. See Complete Arcane p 71.
Practiced Spellcaster only works with spells (etc.) gained from class levels, though, and I believe that the point was to advance racial SLAs.

Cog
2013-04-07, 09:38 AM
Orange Ioun Stone probably isn't worth it, but it will work.

BowStreetRunner
2013-04-07, 09:43 AM
Practiced Spellcaster only works with spells (etc.) gained from class levels, though, and I believe that the point was to advance racial SLAs.

Supernatural Transformation (Savage Species, p. 39) can do this for one ability. It turns it into a supernatural ability. Also, the "effective caster level equals your total Hit Dice or the effective caster level of the original ability, whichever is higher."

Devronq
2013-04-07, 12:31 PM
well whether its raw or not asking your dm to use practiced spellcaster seems like a good idea to me.

Thurbane
2013-04-08, 06:14 AM
Well, I'm the DM and I can always handwave it, but I was looking to see if there was a RAW answer.

My reading of Complete Arcane p.71 doesn't say that all metamagic or spell affecting feats work with SLAs, only certain specific ones?

mattie_p
2013-04-08, 08:04 AM
Not quite what you are looking for, but the dragonmark chain of feats boosts the CL of all of them. I think I saw something similar elsewhere for other SLAs.

The Viscount
2013-04-08, 01:50 PM
Are you concerned with a particular creature's SLAs? If so, there might be something specific that applies to particular creatures.

Fuzzy McCoy
2013-04-09, 01:11 AM
Giants have Primordial Giant (In secrets of xen'drik, I believe). Explicitly boosts SLAs by one.

The orange ioun stone has already been mentioned.

Harmonic chorus, a bard spell, boosts another spellcaster's CL by two. It's your call whether creatures with SLAs are spellcasters (though obviously some are and also have SLAs). It only affects living creatures though.

Thurbane
2013-04-09, 02:25 AM
Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

It's a general question, but specifically I'd like to get a Green Hag's at will Invisibility to 12th CL, so it could be Quickened.