PDA

View Full Version : Mountebank (3.5, Peach)

eftexar
2013-04-06, 11:59 PM
Mountebank (3.5)

Design Notes
This class is rooted in the class of the same name in the Dragon Compendium. The original class was much too weak, like Samurai level weak, with it's complete lack of class features.
This is an attempt at making the archetype presented, the trickster or charlatan, viable without stepping too much upon the Rogue's feet (though since the original Rogue is sort of weak, my comparison is my rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278678) fix).
Beguiling Gaze has been completely reworked from the original, while Deceptive Attack remains about the only other feature kept from the original class (though it has been altered as well).

Class Features

Hit Die: d6

Starting Gold: As Rogue

Skills: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points: 8 + Int mod (x 4 at first level)

{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Refx|Will|Special |1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Beguiling Gaze, Hidden Motives, Trapfinding|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Uncanny Dodge|—|—|—|—

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Red Herring, Deceptive Attack +1d6|—|—|—|—

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Evasion|—|—|—|—

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4||1|—|—|—

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Sweeping Gaze|1|—|—|—

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Deceptive Attack +2d6|2|—|—|—

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Vex|2|—|—|—

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6||2|1|—|—

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Improved Uncanny Dodge----------------------|2|1|—|—

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Blur 20%, Deceptive Attack +3d6|2|2|—|—

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8||2|2|1|—

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Mindblank|2|2|2|—

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9||2|2|2|—

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Deceptive Attack +4d6|3|2|2|1

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Deadly Feint|3|2|2|2

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10||3|3|2|2

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Blur 50%|3|3|3|2

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Deceptive Attack +5d6|3|3|3|2

20th--|+15/+10/+5--|+6---|+12--|+12--|Checkmate|3|3|3|3

[/table]

Proficiencies: The Mountebank is proficient with all simple weapons, bolas, hand crossbows, rapier, the sap, spiked armor, short sword, the net, and whip. She is also proficient with light armor and bucklers.

Class Abilities
Spellcasting
The Mountebank casts arcane spells, drawn from the Mountebank spell list. She may cast any new spell, of any level she can cast, from her list. Her Cantrips may be cast at will without limitation.
Unlike other spellcaster's her spells are not limited per day. She may only cast so many spells per encounter, as indicated. The saving throw for any Mountebank spell has a DC of 10 + 1/2 her caster level + her charisma modifier.

Beguiling Gaze (Su)
As a standard action the Mountebank can make a gaze attack against a creature who has her in their line of sight. Someone who averts their eyes, as described in the Monster Manual, is not subject to Beguiling Gaze.
Her target must make a will save, at a DC of 10 + 1/2 her Mountebank level + her charisma modifier, or become beguiled. They are not aware of the attempt to beguile them, whether or not she succeeds, unless they succeed on a wisdom check, DC 15.
A creature who has been beguiled is fascinated, and takes a -4 penalty to sense motive checks and will saves, for 1 round. Even if they break the fascination they are still beguiled (taking the other penalties). This is a mind-affecting ability.

Hidden Motives (Su)
Any attempt to read the Mountebank's mind or alignment require a successfully opposed charisma check against her own. The DM may roll this in secret as this ability does not automatically alert to her the attempt.

Trapfinding (Ex)
The Mountebank is capable of using the search skill to find traps with a DC of higher than 20. Most non-magical traps have a DC of 20 or higher, while magical traps have a DC of 25 + level of the spell used in it's creation.
When she would successfully disarm a trap she may instead choose to bypass it, along with the party, without triggering it. Effectively she suppresses the trap's triggering mechanism for any period of up to 10 minutes.
Disabling a magical trap usually has a DC of 25 + the spell's level, though this varies from trap to trap. She may not bypass a rune or glyph, as described earlier, though she can disarm it as normal.

Lv2 > Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
The Mountebank is able to react to opponents on all sides just as easily as with singular foes. Basically, she can no longer be flanked and any critical hit or Sneak Attack has a 20% chance of instead being a normal hit against her.

Lv3 > Red Herring (Ex)
The Mountebank can feint as a swift action. Further, when she feints, she gains her dexterity modifier as a bonus to her bluff check.
Special: She is treated as having the Improved Feint feat for the purpose of meeting the prerequisites to any feat or PrC.

Lv3 > Deceptive Attack (Ex)
When the Mountebank makes an attack against a creature who is beguiled, or she benefits from a feint against, she deals extra damage equal to that indicated. Extra damage from this ability is never multiplied on a critical hit.

Lv4 > Evasion (Ex)
Whenever the Mountebank succeeds on a reflex save to reduce the effects of an attack or hazard she instead negates them. Other effects, that would not have been reduced or negated by her save, still take place as normal.
The Mountebank loses the benefits of Evasion while wearing heavier than light armor or carrying more than a light load.

Lv6 > Sweeping Gaze (Su)
When the Mountebank uses her Beguiling Gaze ability she may also affect any number of additional targets within 15ft of her primary target. Extra targets gain a +2 circumstance bonus to their will saves as she just barely catches their eyes.

Lv8 > Vex (Ex)
As a standard action the Mountebank may taunt an opponent within 30ft who can either see or hear her. This is a mind-affecting affect.
Her target must succeed on a will save, at a DC of 10 + 1/2 her Mountebank level + her charisma modifier, or be forced to take the most direct route possible towards the Mountebank.
They may avoid dangerous terrain or move around foes, to avoid attacks of opportunity, on their way. She can continue a taunt, forcing an opponent to continuing their approach, as long as she maintains concentration.

Lv10 > Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
Able to react to danger the moment her senses alert her, the Mountebank retains her dexterity to AC, if any, when caught flatfooted or struck by an invisible attacker, though she still loses it when immobilized or helpless.

Lv11, 18 > Blur (Su)
The Mountebank is constantly under the effects of the Blur spell. She may end or resume the effects of this ability as a swift action. At level 18 the miss chance from Blur improves to grant her a 50%, instead of 20%.

Lv13 > Mindblank (Ex)
Her mind a complete mystery, the Mountebank gains immunity to any effect that would read/control her mind or alter her memories/alignment.

Lv16 > Deadly Feint (Ex)
When the Mountebank successfully deals extra damage with Deceptive Attack her target must make a fortitude saving throw, DC of 10 + 1/2 her Mountebank level + her charisma modifier, or die.
If she makes multiple attacks during an attack sequence only the first attack that hits gains the benefits of Deadly Feint. A target who succeeds on their fortitude save is immune to further uses for the remainder of the encounter.

Lv20 > Checkmate (Su)
The Mountebank may target any number of creatures, with her Beguiling Gaze, within a 60ft radius. Her attack is no longer considered a gaze attack and, so, averting one's eyes does nothing to protect oneself.

Spell List
0th
Arcane Mark
Dancing Lights
Detect Magic
Erase
Flare
Ghost Sound
Know Direction
Lullaby
Mage Hand
Mending
Read Magic

1st
Alarm
Animate Rope
Charm Person
Cloud of Knives (PH II)
Command
Disguise Self
Entropic Shield
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Grease
Hideous Laughter
Insight of Good Fortune (PH II)
Jump
Magic Aura
Obscuring Mist
Ray of the Python (PH II)
Sanctuary
Silent Image
Stay the Hand (PH II)
Stretch Weapon (PH II)
Ventriloquism
Vertigo (PH II)

2nd
Alter Fortune (PH II)
Celerity, Lesser (PH II)
Darkvision
Flicker (as the mystery)
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust
Halt (PH II)
Invisibility
Levitate
Minor Image
Mirror Image
Misdirection
Phantom Battle (PH II)
Pyrotechnics
Rope Trick
Spider Climb
Snare
Vertigo Field (PH II)

3rd
Blinding Color Surge (PH II)
Celerity (PH II)
Confusion
Displacement
Divine Retaliation (PH II)
Fear
Gaseous Form
Haste
Invisibility Sphere
Mirror Image, Greater (PH II)
Mystic Aegis (PH II)
Shrink Item
Slow
Stinking Cloud
Suggestion
Tongues

4th
Animate Objects
Break Enchantment
Charm Monster
Dance of Blades (PH II)
Dimension Door
Etherealness, Swift (PH II)
Freedom of Movement
Friend to Foe (PH II)
Incite Riot (PH II)
Invisibility, Greater
Irresistable Dance
Mana Flux (PH II)
Minor Creation
Mislead
Persistant Image
Seeming

NikitaDarkstar
2013-04-07, 02:21 AM
I hate to ask, especially since I have nothing constructive to add (I'm not familiar with the original class, so all I can say is yours looks pretty cool), but what does the [Peach] tag mean that I keep seeing all around the Homebrew forum but nowhere else?

gooddragon1
2013-04-07, 02:23 AM
You're missing a 4th level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm) on your spell list: Dimension Door (www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#capeoftheMountebank).

eftexar
2013-04-07, 02:27 AM
NikitaDarkstar, Peach means: Please Evaluate and Critique Honestly. But I'm glad you think it's cool.

Ah, yes I am gooddragon1. Added Dimension Door. I had flicker so I don't know how I forget that one.

Ir0npanda
2013-04-07, 03:10 AM
I may not be a spellcaster but I still know how to cast Stinking Cloud.

eftexar
2013-04-11, 09:27 PM
Any thoughts?

I was debating on whether or not I should do a prepared invocation system with a recharge time instead of spells per encounter. My only real concern is preventing spamming of one spell.