PDA

View Full Version : Custom "Trophy Loot" for Carrion Crown [PF]

Tokuhara
2013-04-07, 01:04 PM
So my DM has given me the chance that when he gets bored of DMing, I get to run Carrion Crown. I know that Carrion Crown is full of potential pitfalls, but that's not why I'm posting.

I'm posting in regard to a "clever" idea I had of "Trophy" items. The concept was non-sellable pieces of major fights in the Carrion Crown campaign that I could drop as slightly strong loot. For example: The Mosswater Marauder's Maul, The Lopper's Axe, The Splatter Man's Spellbook, The Piper of Illmarsh's Pipes, and Father Charlatan's Crook. The items would have unique effects a la Artifacts, but would be items that the party'd look at and say, "I think I'll use this over the "optimal" weapon."

So my question is how to I stat these items so they are intriguing to the right player, and if anyone has any other major "boss fight" items I missed, I'd be thankful.

The two I've pseudo-statted are the Mosswater Marauder's Maul and The Lopper's Axe. The Mosswater Marauder's Maul is an Ethereal Maul (pluses tbd) that deals damage as 1 size category larger for the wielder and counts as Ghost Touch for purposes of hitting Ethereal creatures. The Lopper's Axe is a Greataxe that inflicts a bleed effect and is Ghost Touch for purposes of hitting Ethereal creatures.

The goal is less "This is a McGuffain" and more of a combination of a trophy for winning the fight/encounter and wielding the essence of that creature.