PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Archetypes (i need help quick)

BeserkerNike
2013-04-07, 03:05 PM
Well my friend is a lvl 1 monk and he keeps saying he is a lvl 1 Sacred mountain monk and a lvl 1 Flowing monk at the same time that isn't correct right?

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-07, 03:11 PM
Sure it is.

Flowing Monk modifies/gives up:
Bonus Feats
Stunning Fist
Fast Movement
Purity of Body
Diamond Body
Quivering Palm

Sacred Mountain gives up:
Evasion
Slow Fall
High Jump
Improved Evasion
Tongue of the Sun and the Moon

No conflicts.

BeserkerNike
2013-04-07, 03:13 PM
Sure it is.

Flowing Monk modifies/gives up:
Bonus Feats
Stunning Fist
Fast Movement
Purity of Body
Diamond Body
Quivering Palm

Sacred Mountain gives up:
Evasion
Slow Fall
High Jump
Improved Evasion
Tongue of the Sun and the Moon

No conflicts.
So a level 1 character can be 2 different archetypes at the same level

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-07, 03:16 PM
So a level 1 character can be 2 different archetypes at the same level
Right. They just can't trade or modify the same class features. See here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/class-archetypes) for details.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-04-07, 03:26 PM
You can be multiple archetypes. That doesn't mean that they are always worthwhile combinations. I don't know enough about the two archetypes to know if they combine well.

Cieyrin
2013-04-07, 05:14 PM
I wrote this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12555815#post12555815) specifically for these questions. [/shamelessplug] Sacred Mountain is also the only archetype (besides Qinggong) that Flowing can combine with.

HylianKnight
2013-04-08, 05:23 PM
The biggest thing to keep in mind is that Archetypes don't function on a level by level basis, nor is it similar to multi-classing. You can't take an archetype feature one level and then nothing the next. You choose it at level 1 and then you're stuck with it. So someone who decides on the Drunken Brute Barbarian Archetype is forever a Drunken Brute Barbarian. And, like has already been pointed out, multiple archetypes are possible as long as none of their abilities overlap.

So you're friend isn't "2 different archetypes at level 1," he is a Flowing Sacred Mountain Monk, period. Whenever he gains a level in Monk, he's really gaining a level in Flowing Sacred Mountain Monk. However he is permanently locked into his choice so can never choose to forego an ability he would get from one of those two in favor of the base class ability.

Hope this clears things up.