PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to remove an (Ex) Mind Blank effect on yourself temporarily?

GreenSerpent
2013-04-07, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

Title kinda says it all. Is it possible to remove an Extraordinary Mind Blank effect on yourself temporarily by some means? I understand cheese may be needed, but try and stay away from too much Roquefort.

To be precise the ability I need to lower is the Blank Mind effect of the Void Incarnate from the Epic Insights articles.

Thiyr
2013-04-07, 03:31 PM
Well, considering its epic levels, I'm sure there's SOME way that epic magic could do it. That'd be the easy answer.

Jack_Simth
2013-04-07, 03:42 PM
What you seek lies in the Saving Throw definition of the Magic overview (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow):
A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality. (Emphasis added)

Thiyr
2013-04-07, 03:53 PM
Problem with that would be this.

Blank Mind (Ex): At 5th level, the void incarnate is protected by a mind blank effect at all times. The void incarnate cannot lower this aura, even to accept a harmless mind-affecting spell.

Meaning it would require something to strip away the ability, or at least the part about not lowering the aura. And for that, all I can think of offhand is epic casting.

Jack_Simth
2013-04-07, 03:57 PM
Problem with that would be this.

Meaning it would require something to strip away the ability, or at least the part about not lowering the aura. And for that, all I can think of offhand is epic casting.

Oh. Hmm. Well, try Baleful Polymorph (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/balefulPolymorph.htm) on for size, then.

GreenSerpent
2013-04-07, 03:59 PM
Considering I'm trying to overcome it so I can have Bardic Music effects, would the Music of the Gods epic feat work?

Jack_Simth
2013-04-07, 04:04 PM
Considering I'm trying to overcome it so I can have Bardic Music effects, would the Music of the Gods epic feat work?
Explicitly so, yes. Mind blank grants mind-affecting immunity, which that feat bypasses.

Carth
2013-04-07, 04:17 PM
Serpent Kingdoms has the trait removal spell. The ability rip spell from the same book might also be relevant to you.

GreenSerpent
2013-04-07, 04:18 PM
Explicitly so, yes. Mind blank grants mind-affecting immunity, which that feat bypasses.

And even if there was a save to resist all he'd need to do would be voluntarily fail it. Right! Sorted!

Psyren
2013-04-07, 04:58 PM
There's a spell that suppresses an Ex ability I believe. People were talking about using it to turn off Big T's regen, but I forget the name.

Jack_Simth
2013-04-07, 05:06 PM
There's a spell that suppresses an Ex ability I believe. People were talking about using it to turn off Big T's regen, but I forget the name.
Trait Removal, Serpent Kingdoms page 158. 1 hour casting time, 1 hour/level duration, not dismissable. Not exactly the safest thing to use on yourself. Sor/Wiz 5.

Psyren
2013-04-07, 05:36 PM
Trait Removal, Serpent Kingdoms page 158. 1 hour casting time, 1 hour/level duration, not dismissable. Not exactly the safest thing to use on yourself. Sor/Wiz 5.

It's true that it's not very practical unless you have downtime, but dropping it quickly when you need to isn't a problem - you can autosucceed on any dispel check for a spell you originally cast. So while you can't dismiss it, you can still get rid of it in a hurry.

GreenSerpent
2013-04-07, 06:13 PM
Contingent Greater Dispel Magic set for "when I am affected by any hostile mind-affecting effect"?