PDA

View Full Version : annoyingly good gestalt

Immabozo
2013-04-07, 05:06 PM
I was making a gestalt for the girl I'm seeing, to play in our game. Half fiend pixie rogue to then go assassin. She has 30 dex! Also greater invis at will, a load of SLA, it is a shockingly good character!

Vaz
2013-04-07, 05:25 PM
Depends on the LA. Half Fiend and a none Otto's dance still piling on a +8 LA, if it's on both sides, ouch.

It's also asking for your DM to scale effectively. Enemies suddenly start wearing goggles of true seeing with Periapts of Wisdom and combined with Hats of +20 Spot/Listen, etc, Glitterdust traps, dust clouds, splash weapons, scent/blindsense, etc, which even if it's a valid counter to the Rogue's skills, completely blows the rest of the party out of the equation, meaning sneaking has to be done by the Pixie character, or else it turns into "okay, roll a d20, on a 1, something went wrong and you were caught, otherwise, job done, you stole the maguffin and you pressed the Big Red Button and won the campaign 3 months early."

Snowbluff
2013-04-07, 05:40 PM
Pixies are pretty good as a player. The combination of features and stats works really well for classes that don't depend on size for damage (like warlock).

Just watch out for true seeing. Which is unlikely, due to the expense and implausibility of every enemy using it. Flour is more common. :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2013-04-07, 05:46 PM
Just watch out for true seeing. Which is unlikely, due to the expense and implausibility of every enemy using it.
See Invisibility, however, has a decent duration, is a 2nd level spell, can be made Permanent, and doesn't have an expensive material component.

Story
2013-04-07, 08:48 PM
If they're level 11, they'll probably have Arcane Sight permanacied instead. But at least you can see that unless they're wearing sunglasses or something.

Ardantis
2013-04-07, 09:52 PM
Pixies are awesome. Sneak Attack is damage not dependent on size, and invisibility tends to crowbar DM plans. HOWEVER, her weaknesses will be a lack of HP and low Fort and Will saves- anyone who can bypass her invisibility will be able to knock her down with poison or mind-affecting spells. Plus, if she's dominated the rest of the party is in trou-ble.

Immabozo
2013-04-08, 06:21 AM
All very true and good points. I think the flying sacks of flour is a very funny idea. I knew a player who always had a sack of flour on him for this purpose.

Well, the whole party is the sneak and be quite characters, so nothing is out of place. They will be getting reknown and people will start forming contingencies if they show up, different contingencies depending on which side of the war they choose to fight on.

But my players are VERY resourceful and come up with very unique solutions, so it doesn't throw my plans off much at all.

As far as power, she will have to duo encounters. So that limits how good she is. Enemies have more time to dedicate to finding her.

Pilo
2013-04-08, 07:33 AM
Beguiler (as a superior) familiar is a good way to prevent that, so is a bat...

Dekion
2013-04-08, 08:06 AM
But my players are VERY resourceful and come up with very unique solutions, so it doesn't throw my plans off much at all.

If I understand this comment correctly, you are the DM? If so, all I can say, is to make sure that her character has no more capacity for power than any of the other characters, and that all of the tricks you would use against any other player get used against her.

In any case, the LA is going to hit hard. Also, it was mentioned that she would only have to worry about failure on a roll of 1. That's not necessarily the case. Skill checks do not automatically fail on a 1 or succeed on a 20, unless you've house-ruled that.

Immabozo
2013-04-08, 11:19 AM
If I understand this comment correctly, you are the DM? If so, all I can say, is to make sure that her character has no more capacity for power than any of the other characters, and that all of the tricks you would use against any other player get used against her.

In any case, the LA is going to hit hard. Also, it was mentioned that she would only have to worry about failure on a roll of 1. That's not necessarily the case. Skill checks do not automatically fail on a 1 or succeed on a 20, unless you've house-ruled that.

Yes, I am the DM.

It is a high magic world and it is about to go to war, so see invisibility should be common. They already enjoy using see invisibility tactics often, so it is a tactic I already plan to counter.

However, the group is low-optimization, likes to sneak around, unusual solutions, rigging traps, guerrilla warfare type tactics. So I am used to establishing different kinds of encounters that are more "Get around the combat" then "Wade through it".

Like "Send a message to this city of frost giants" and (they are the evil campaign) the go in and CDG sleeping frost giant children and write on the tent walls in their blood, some message and the disappear into the night, with only one actual fight. Encounter defeated, very little combat.