PDA

View Full Version : MAD gestalt (Barb/Psychic Warrior)

gurgleflep
2013-04-07, 05:07 PM
Hey, I know it's MAD, but it would make for an interesting character.

I'm looking at the Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm) and it's powers list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powerList.htm#psychicWarriorPowers), and can't help but think "Wow, I could do quite a bit of damage using this."

I'm unsure of which barbarian would be best (core or one of the variants) in the mix, or what races would work well with it, and that's part of the reason I'm asking you.
I know I can't do much while in a fit of rage, so I'd have to activate the things before any conflict. Any help would be spectacular!

Vaz
2013-04-07, 05:21 PM
Barbarian is a 2 level dip in a Psychic Warrior lash tripper build. Otherwise, Psychic Warrior is a 2 level dip in a Barbarian Build.

What exactly do you want to achieve with it?

Mountain Raging Spirit Lion Totem Wolf Totem Goliath Barb/Psywar's are fairly well documented.

Urpriest
2013-04-07, 05:24 PM
Barbarian is a 2 level dip in a Psychic Warrior lash tripper build. Otherwise, Psychic Warrior is a 2 level dip in a Barbarian Build.

Mountain Raging Spirit Lion Totem Wolf Totem Goliath Barb/Psywar's are fairly well documented.

The idea is a gestalt, I believe.

It would work, but you do indeed run up against the inability to manifest in range, so you'd have to focus mostly on longer-term buffs. You're no more MAD than a normal Psychic Warrior anyway.

gurgleflep
2013-04-07, 05:29 PM

Basically, I'm wanting to be a barbarian with psionic abilities that's a bit more helpful to the party. I know there are better options to gestalt with a barbarian - bard and wizard come to mind - but none of them are as interesting to me.

gurgleflep
2013-04-07, 05:35 PM
The idea is a gestalt, I believe.

It would work, but you do indeed run up against the inability to manifest in range, so you'd have to focus mostly on longer-term buffs. You're no more MAD than a normal Psychic Warrior anyway.

It is a gestalt, yes.
The rage bit doesn't really bother me all that much. I don't rage unless the situation absolutely needs me to do so.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-07, 05:44 PM
Except at very low and very high levels (where you don't have much PP or where you do have Schism), I don't imagine you'll want to use Rage too often, so it'd probably be a waste to invest too many resources in it early.

But with decent Wis and all those Psychic Warrior Bonus feats, I'd be tempted to neglect Barbarian past level 2 in exchange for dips into Moon-Warded Ranger, Soldier of Light (with Serenity) and Shiba Protector for the Wis-SADness, padding the mid-levels with Warblade, and maybe returning to Barbarian and rage-related PrCs at level 15, when Schism becomes an Advanced Learning option.

gurgleflep
2013-04-07, 09:32 PM
Except at very low and very high levels (where you don't have much PP or where you do have Schism), I don't imagine you'll want to use Rage too often, so it'd probably be a waste to invest too many resources in it early.

But with decent Wis and all those Psychic Warrior Bonus feats, I'd be tempted to neglect Barbarian past level 2 in exchange for dips into Moon-Warded Ranger, Soldier of Light (with Serenity) and Shiba Protector for the Wis-SADness, padding the mid-levels with Warblade, and maybe returning to Barbarian and rage-related PrCs at level 15, when Schism becomes an Advanced Learning option.

How would one do level dips while doing a gestalt? It seems like a very confusing process to me.

Also - this one's directed towards everybody - is the Psychic Warrior in one of the books?

Urpriest
2013-04-07, 09:39 PM
How would one do level dips while doing a gestalt? It seems like a very confusing process to me.

Also - this one's directed towards everybody - is the Psychic Warrior in one of the books?

You do one-level dips in gestalt the same way you do normally. If your first level is gestalt Psychic Warrior//Monk, your next might be gestalt Psychic Warrior//Ranger or something.

Psychic Warrior, and all the other core Psionic stuff, is in the Expanded Psionics Handbook.