PDA

View Full Version : A dragonheart mage Archmage

Blackhawk748
2013-04-07, 06:04 PM
is there anyway i can take all 10 levels of dragonheart mage and still take all 5 levels of archmage?

CyberThread
2013-04-07, 06:19 PM
only word I have is ouch...

Blackhawk748
2013-04-07, 06:21 PM
i knew it wouldn't be easy, and most likely require a lot of shenanigans

CyberThread
2013-04-07, 06:24 PM
Requirements
To qualify to become an archmage, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Skills
Knowledge (arcana) 15 ranks, Spellcraft 15 ranks.

Feats
Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Focus in two schools of magic.

Spells
Ability to cast 7th-level arcane spells, knowledge of 5th-level or higher spells from at least five schools.

Entry Requirements:

Spellcasting: Ability to spontaneously cast arcane spells.
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks.
Feats: Draconic Heritage
Languages: Draconic.

Sorc....and you need 4 feats ...., I think you are looking at entering Heart first, and then Archmage, and then finishing up with Heart.

Failed Phantasm
2013-04-07, 06:26 PM
Dragonheart Mage is only an 8/10 caster PrC, so something like Sorc 5/DHM 10 won't have 7ths.

Urpriest
2013-04-07, 06:26 PM
Dragonheart Mage requires 8 ranks in a skill, so you need to be 5th level to enter absent very cheesy tricks. Archmage requires 7th level spells. A Sorceror 5/Dragonheart Mage 10 casts as a level 13 Sorceror, just barely too low for 7ths. You could get past that with either spell-level increasing tricks like Sanctum Spell or with things like the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage. You could also qualify with a spontaneous class that gets its spells on time, of which I think the Sha'ir is the only (and still debatable) example.

So the main question is, which sorts of shenanigans are you open to using?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-07, 06:28 PM
Yes... dragonblood Kobold Sorceror 5/Dragonheart Mage 10/Archmage 5.

For feats, be sure to take the dragonblood Sorceror sub level (sacrificing your familiar for the Draconic Heritage feat), and take a Spell Focus @ 1 along with completing the Draconic Rite of Passage (RotD pg. 43). After that, take your feats in this order;

3rd: Draconic Reservoir
6th: Greater Draconic Rite of Passage
9th: Spell Focus (any)
12th: Skill Focus (Spellcraft)

You have free feats @ 15th, 18th, and however many flaws you want.

The Draconic Reservoir/Greater Draconic Rite of Passage are found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a).

Vaz
2013-04-07, 06:29 PM
Yes. Take 6 levels of Sorcerer, 10 Levels of Dragonheart Mage, and then 1 level of Archmage. Best bit is then you're eligible to take Epic Spellcasting.

Not entirely sure that 10 levels of class is worth +3.5 damage every time you give up a spell, though.

CyberThread
2013-04-07, 06:34 PM
The main class feature of Dragon Heart is fire breathing, so may I suggest instead a dragonborn , so you can breath fire to your hearts content?

If it is the draconic feats, take the aspriant prc from exalted , and instead of giving you exalted feats have it give you draconic.

Blackhawk748
2013-04-07, 06:36 PM
ok right now my character is at level 1 and im playing a human, and ive got Draconic knowledge and Draconic descendant as feats and im descended from a Sapphire dragon, which will give me teleport as a free spell known

CyberThread
2013-04-07, 06:40 PM
ooo sapphire that is a tough one... but as you are level one, I would still suggest dragonborn when you level up more, and lets you do the fire breathing, and free up your dreams of casting spells.

Failed Phantasm
2013-04-07, 06:44 PM
If you've really got your heart set on this, ask your DM if it's OK for Dragonheart Mage to give you 10 levels of spellcasting instead of 8. It's a very simple fix that precludes the need for cheesy tactics and it's not like marginally increasing the damage of your breath weapon is really so game-breaking as to warrant the loss of spell levels.